Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am probably of the older specie - still remembering the "old" days when the shops/restaurants/cafeteria was still managed by SANParks (or rather South African National Parks Board - as they were known then). I recall much better service and quality food. And a much better attitude by personnel in general.

Fortunately you still get the better service at some of the smaller parks - e.g. Mokala (with a superb restaurant at Mosu Lodge - which I believe is still managed by SANParks itself) and Karoo National Park (where the restaurant is managed by a francise holder, but with fantastic service by the personnel).

I am just worried that the new restaurants in Kruger is going to be run by the same personnel. I only hope that the franchise givers will watch the situation with a careful eye as the bad service we got used to over the past few years, will not do their names any good.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Stoffel wrote:
I am just worried that the new restaurants in Kruger is going to be run by the same personnel. I only hope that the franchise givers will watch the situation with a careful eye as the bad service we got used to over the past few years, will not do their names any good.

I am seeing the glass half full, they will keep the staff but with new training. Hopefully with the new training and standards that will be expected, the attitude of the staff will improve as well. Let's also remember, most of the staff are older (from memory) and not your usual waiting staff (students earning pocket money), and while you could expect the young guys to run around with plates (in KNP heat!!) it is not really going to happen with most of the staff.

That said this is no excuse for bad service. Slow service can still be fine, especially in KNP (you are supposed to be relaxed and take your time) as long as it is done with the right attitude.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Weltenman :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:52 pm 

Weltenman wrote:
[. Slow service can still be fine, especially in KNP (you are supposed to be relaxed and take your time) as long as it is done with the right attitude.

What a load of drivel. Slow service OK if it's done with the right attitude?? So the staff can ignore you for 20 minutes but as long as they smile it's OK?

If the present staff are to be kept on by the new franchise holders I can only assume it is because this was part of the set of conditions attached to the franchise agreement. I also assume they may fire staff over the next year or so if performance is unsatisfactory?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Slow service with the right attitude :shock: :shock: :shock: , I don't care if I am on holiday, I do not want slow service, I want good service, I am paying good, hard earned money

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:59 pm 

slow service doenst mean bad service :wink:
when in kruger you can kill 10 minutes while sitting on a deck or enjoying the atmosphere :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:29 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Some people are using all type of excuses to present reasons why bad management (directly responsible for bad service or low quality food) should be overlooked.

Actually I don't know why I am complaining, because I have not been using Kruger's cafeterias/restaurant for a number of years already (because of poor service and food).

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Maybe this is getting a bit hot now. But anyway, whatever service or quality is there, it's yours to take or to leave as you see fit. I see fit to leave it.

I made the mistake in Tschokwane of ordering a wors roll. So they gave me a big metal number thing and off we went and sat under the tree. Four of us. So we sat there for about 30 minutes because we thought heck OK, there are quite a few people. And then I went back to ask what had happened to the order. And the guy says it's not coming. Why? Because they aint got no wors left. And the other stuff for the other people? Oh OK, we got that and it's ready waiting for us. OK that's groovy can we have it? So the guy reckons but what we going to do about the wors roll? So I said give me the money back or suggest an alternative.

Well, it didnt end there and I decided to just leave the money there. But for the rest of the order it was a disaster. The chicken in the chicken salad was still steaming from being fried or something. Right in the middle of December swelter.

So there you go. That was a nice relaxing way to handle the relaxed service attitude. But hey, it was a different experience. Alternative dining in KNP.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:18 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Well reading all the above posts, I cannot imagine that anyone can be against the new franchises now, they can certainly only be a big improvement :dance:

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Carol g wrote:
the new franchises ........ can certainly only be a big improvement

Without doubt - I hope!!. One thing is for sure. It cannot be worse than the situation we got used to during the past few years.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Albert wrote:
What a load of drivel. Slow service OK if it's done with the right attitude?? So the staff can ignore you for 20 minutes but as long as they smile it's OK?

If the present staff are to be kept on by the new franchise holders I can only assume it is because this was part of the set of conditions attached to the franchise agreement. I also assume they may fire staff over the next year or so if performance is unsatisfactory?

Well being ignored for 20 minutes is not slow service, that is bad and unacceptable service.

bert wrote:
slow service doenst mean bad service :wink:
when in kruger you can kill 10 minutes while sitting on a deck or enjoying the atmosphere :thumbs_up:

:thumbs_up:

Stoffel wrote:
Some people are using all type of excuses to present reasons why bad management (directly responsible for bad service or low quality food) should be overlooked.

Actually I don't know why I am complaining, because I have not been using Kruger's cafeterias/restaurant for a number of years already (because of poor service and food).

I think you have to look very hard for people that have excused the management of the current restaurants ( a few non Compass restaurants excepted). I think it is well established that no-one is happy with the current operators and that is why the majority are happy that there will be a change. It seems as some of the complaints about this are from people that just want to complain, or from people that do not use the facilities for a variety of reasons. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:26 pm 

Weltenman wrote:
It seems as some of the complaints about this are from people that just want to complain, or from people that do not use the facilities for a variety of reasons. :hmz:

Or from people who just dislike change, in any form... :roll:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:49 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

squirrel_asc wrote:
Or from people who just dislike change, in any form...

Well,.... :wink: ,.. your'e quite right squirrel_,.....

Though a very good reason for that. Some folks are so passionate
about "their Kruger" that they even hate to see the gates open in the
morning, to let the masses in! Some people are so obsessed that even
the slightest change means catastrophy in their lives!! They believe that
Kruger and especially "their Kruger" needs to be seen and experienced
the way they did and therefore needs to be as pristine as possible.

I can very well understand that change is a integral part of life and needs
to be so!!! To dwell in the past for what ever reason not always good,

However, this unique peace of wonderland needs to remain as pure,
untouched and protected by us humans as much and far as we possibly
can.

"Change", possibly the best medcine any human can have, yet

we are still in touch with the past, for what little there is left of that,
where the medcine for goodness in life was concocted in the first place.

So, quite simple, let not the evil of commercialization stifle the pureness
of being!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would imagine that the new franchises have a better training and performance management standard than the restaurants of the past. Sometimes there are poor performers, but sometimes there is also poor management, oversight, training, and coaching.

I think the pdf that was posted a page or so back said that most of the staff was going to stay (I could have read it incorrectly - very hard to read), which I'm fine with. While the food was "eh" on our trip, I didn't have any problem with the wait-staff over the 14 nights, and at least a dozen meals, experienced in the park.

I think SANParks is on the right track in recognizing that the past failings and taking steps to partner with entities that can make a change for the better. There is nowhere to go but up. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:32 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Still looking forward to my Mugg & Bean Chicken Wrap at Letaba, while checking out the river. :thumbs_up:
Just wish I didn't have to wait so long!!!! :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 29  Next