Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:53 pm 

So, what will be the eating options @ Skukuza

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 am 

Do we know what is happening in Skukuza when they close the restaurant down there? I am heading there in August so keen to know what I will be eating !
I thought there was two restaurants there so are they both closed or one still operating?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:06 am 

Does anyone know when they propose to have the Skukuza restaurant/s up and running. We will be there in Sept and Oct 2014. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am 

At the other restaurants that have been renovated they have had a "bush kitchen" selling some basic meals. Skukuza used to be set up with a facility to cook boerwors etc, similar to Tshokwane, I'm not sure if that is still going.

Unfortunately Selati is closed due to the pending court case and we have no indication of when it will open.

The shop at Skukuza is a big one and does sell sandwiches and salads. And there is a small kiosk at the Skukuza Day Visitor area.

Other renovations have taken between 6-8 weeks to complete.

I will try and get some idea of the arrangements and timescales.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:54 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I will be visiting the Park this next month and cant wait to have a Red Velvet Hot Chocolate at Lower Sabie Viewing deck.

My mouth is water ever since I saw a pic of how it looks since yesterday especially with the view of the Sabie River.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 am 

I'll be in the park next month and staying in Satara, Lower Sabie, and Croc Bridge. I've tried to keep up on this thread for restaurant/eating options, but I've gotten lost and not really sure what will be available. Is there someplace that will summarize the options or can someone here tell me? In the past we've also enjoyed stopping at Afsaal and Tshokwane, usually for breakfast. I'd appreciate any info!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Trigger, Satara has a Mugg& bean restaurant and a Mugg & Bean to go take aways, they also have a debonairs pizza outlet

Lower Sabie has a Mugg & Bean restaurant and a Mugg & Bean to go

CB does not have a restaurant but do have a shop where you can get toasted sandwiched

Afsaal and Tshokwane still serve lovely breakfasts and other meals and take aways

Hope this helps

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:05 am 

Hi all,

M&B in Kruger is a disaster. Olifants, toasted chicen mayo came without mayo and about a teaspoon of minced chicen. When we asked for mayo we waited 15 mins for some mayo. Meals arrived in 2 or 3 min intervals. (2 chic mayo and 2 bacon egg and cheese toasties) Once the table was cleared we waited another approx 20 mins at the table to pay. I got up and asked inside to be able to pay. The waitress eventually came with the bill and informed us that they are unable to accept cards as the machine does not work. Who still carries cash around? And could this information not be conveyed before we ordered? Anyway, I insisted on paying by card, and guess what? The machine worked fine. :naughty:

Satara M&B / Debonairs was just as bad. Ordered 4 cuppachinos with 2 pies and 2 subs take away. Coffee was cold. When i told them they took the coffees and steamed them warm!! Old coffee recycled is not my idea of great service. One pie was in the packet and they made one sub. How is that when we were charged for two of each? :hmz:

On the flip side of all this, Mopani restaurant served a better meal at a better price with better service. :clap:

Why do we need these overpriced pretentious restaurants in Kruger?
Overall very dissapointed with the restaurants. And you cant even have a beer with your meal as they dont have liquor licences.

Not good.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:35 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Sorry to have to say this but when in the bush do as the bushmen/women do. JUST BRAAI.

Well that's what we do anyway.

Enjoy.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
vanzylkarl wrote:
Hi all,

Overall very dissapointed with the restaurants. And you cant even have a beer with your meal as they dont have liquor licences.

Not good.

On the flip side, we recently had excellent meals at Lower Sabie and Satara, and by the way all Mugg and Beans have a liquor licence..............I had a lekker dry white wine with both meals. :dance:

Sorry you were disappointed. :cry:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:03 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
My experience with the Mug & Bean at LS and Satara has been good, I don't know why some people have had this bad service and food :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Sometimes a person read about the good and sometimes a person read about the not so good for the new restaurants. Is it the logistics, the environment, the set up or are the Kruger visitors unrealistic? I do not know what it is.

My guess is that the logistics and the remoteness of the camps have something to do with it. When they run out of stock they cannot quickly obtain or stock up on fresh supplies as they are removed from the larger towns and cities. What makes it even more complicated is that they use fresh produce and perishables and Kruger is generally hot to very hot in terms of the weather.

Is it then realistic to expect the same from a M&B situated in a air-conditioned shopping mall with fresh deliveries a few times per day as from the M&B in Satara that is in a wilderness area that is far removed from the temperature controlled supply chain?

We were in Satara in May and had good food and service at the M&B. The network for the cards also went down and someone immediately did the rounds to inform the customers. I guess in addition to the logistical challenges they have to deal with unstable/unreliable network connections as Kruger is in the Nature away from human settlements where the banking systems are.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:40 am 

Crested Val wrote:
vanzylkarl wrote:
Hi all,

Not good.

On the flip side, we recently had excellent meals at Lower Sabie and Satara, and by the way all Mugg and Beans have a liquor licence..............I had a lekker dry white wine with both meals. :dance:

Sorry you were disappointed. :cry:

Mugg and Bean in Olifants does NOT have a liquor licence. unless they got one and stocked the place in the last 4 days.....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:49 am 

vanzylkarl wrote:
Mugg and Bean in Olifants does NOT have a liquor licence. unless they got one and stocked the place in the last 4 days.....

The M&B in Satara didn't have one YET when we were there in May. Seems they have one now. I'm sure Olifants is also a case of NOT YET. They opened withing the last month. It takes forever to get liquor licenses these days (Blame Government for that, not M&B).

In Satara we were told we were welcome to bring our own alcohol and that there would be no corkage. Frankly, we couldn't be bothered to make the effort. Not the first time I've be happy that alcohol just isn't as important to us as it seems to be for most people. We had a delicious meal with rock-shandies.

Oh, and we always make sure we take enough cash, since we know the communications networks are unstable. It's in the middle of the bush, after all...

Last edited by squirrel_asc on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 am 

Grantmissy wrote:
The network for the cards also went down and someone immediately did the rounds to inform the customers. I guess in addition to the logistical challenges they have to deal with unstable/unreliable network connections as Kruger is in the Nature away from human settlements where the banking systems are.

Get a fixed line card machine? It is actually that simple. There are telkom lines in all the camps. Why make it the customers problem?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next