Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes, Elsa, I see your point regarding Punda Maria. And, I agree each restaurant can have a bad day - they just all need to be kept on their toes.

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hi All,
Just returned from SA, so I thought I would give you an early report of our experiences in the camp restaurants.

Skukuza - didn't use the restaurant, but my wife went to the cafeteria, which used to have a nice bakery under the Wooden Banana flag. Unfortunately that has now gone, so ate our own food in stead.

Olifants - M&B - the restaurant has taken on a new lease of life. Had breakfast on the way up the park and dinner when we stayed in the camp, no complaints. Food very good and all the staff were very courteous and friendly - a big change from last year when everything seemed too much trouble.

Letaba - M&B - dinner - had an excellent meal, which is always helped by the setting.

Mopani - Tindlovu - stopped off for breakfast and can only say it was a disaster. The food was cold and the rasher of bacon must have come from a very small pig. My cutlery was covered in egg from the previous user and when I came to use the jam it had already been opened and half used. My wife complained and the chef came out and apologised, but I am sure it was the same chef who came and apologised last year when we complained about the food being cold. Last year they said it was because it was a long walk from the kitchen, but they don't seem to grasp that hot food should be put onto hot plates. Stayed 3 nights later on the trip, but avoided the restaurant.

[P.S. Hi Hippotragus - it was probably me you referred to earlier re. our meeting at the Olifants river viewing point.]

Shingwedzi - Tindlovu - Had dinner and it was good, but the menu could do a change - why no fish course? Also had breakfast later on the trip and no complaints - staff friendly.

Punda Maria - Tindlovu - arrived at 13:00 hrs and after checking in went for breakfast. Breakfast menu only runs until 11:00 hrs? However the chef said we could choose from the breakfast menu if we wanted to. No complaints about food or staff. Decided not to use restaurant for dinner due to uninspiring menu.

Satara - M&B AND Debonaire's - had a lunchtime pizza and surprisingly very good (I am not a pizza fan). Went for dinner and just as we were about to order - power cut. Nothing could be served except grills and salads. Must have lit some candles in the kitchen. Had salads and very good. Perhaps they need a gas oven for similar emergencies as we had several cuts in power supply whilst in the park.

Lower Sabie - M&B - called for breakfast and very good.

Berg-en-Dal - Tindlovu - didn't use.

In the camps where M&B are running the restaurants there seems to have been a big improvement on what they have been like for the past few years, but still think they need a change to their menu, which is exactly the same as in all the M&B's in SA. The only fish course available is fishcakes.
As for the Tindlovu restaurants - some staff training and menu change is needed before they can get back what they were like 10 to 15 years ago, when in the evenings the restaurants used to be well attended.

The only way things change is if you not satisfied with the food or service is to complain. We will see if Mopani has improved next year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. (It will be our first in the UK for 8 years.)

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi bondm! I just couldn't quite remember your alias (thought it had "bond" in it).

Thank you for taking the trouble to make your comments on the restaurants.

Overall there seems to have been a great improvement with the introduction of the M&Bs. With a little more training and improved menus, the Tindlovo restaurants that have problems at the moment will be improved.

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you. Maybe we'll bump into each other again in Kruger next year!

Marakele (Motswere Guest Cottage) 29 Mar -1 Apr 2015

KTP May 2015

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14