Skip to Content

New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: New Franchises for Restaurants from 1 December.

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:28 pm

carol - I ordered the chicken and avo wrap at Olifants today and was also told "no avo" and was given guacamole (maybe the avos had gone soft and they "squished" them to make guacamole?! The wrap was very tasty anyway.
KTP May 2015

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks for that info Hippotragus. So glad your wraps were good. Someone in the Park told me that all M & B food came to each location ready made and frozen which I have some doubts about. However, it may explain why Letaba and Olifants had no Avos if they were already supplied made up wioth the guacamole.
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=83442Our 2014 Trip Report
... and how I miss being back in the KNP.

skylinelinda

Unread postby skylinelinda » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Is the Selati (train place restaurant ) at Skukuza open now? coming soon and enjoyed that setting/restaurant in the past. THANKS.
Linda - Plano, TX

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Sadly it will be a long time before Selati is open again. The Cattle Baron Restaurant though does offer a good choice of meals.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Don't forget that avo season is coming to it's close - they are getting more and more expensive and are not readily available. In a few weeks there will only be imported ones in very few shops so that is the reason for no fresh avo - it happens in the restaurants in the city as well.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Cattle Barron in Skukuza offers some fine dining. I was very impressed with their quality and portions.

Mug & Bean in Lower Sabie is impressive with the best views! I think it is my number one restaurant in KNP in terms of the whole package.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:41 pm

I absolutely agree, IB. :thumbs_up: Mugg & Bean was most impressive, and I really enjoyed Debonair's at Satara. The whole franchise packages bring a new dimension to eating in the Park. The only thing I would like to happen now is to have a choice at Letaba, Lower Sabie, and Olifants, where only Mugg & Bean's are situated.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 am

Hippotragus wrote:With all these rave reviews, maybe the restaurants at the other camps further north - Mopani, Shingwedzi and Punda Maria - should also be M&B/Debonairs/Cattle Baron.
The restaurant at Punda recently had a good review and IMO being a small one doubt any of the franchises would go there.
I think they rely on big turnovers.
Mopani is the same enterprise as the B & Dal one and seems to be consistently good.
But I guess any restaurant can have a bad day.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Yes, Elsa, I see your point regarding Punda Maria. And, I agree each restaurant can have a bad day - they just all need to be kept on their toes.
KTP May 2015

bondm

Unread postby bondm » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:27 pm

Hi All,
Just returned from SA, so I thought I would give you an early report of our experiences in the camp restaurants.

Skukuza - didn't use the restaurant, but my wife went to the cafeteria, which used to have a nice bakery under the Wooden Banana flag. Unfortunately that has now gone, so ate our own food in stead.

Olifants - M&B - the restaurant has taken on a new lease of life. Had breakfast on the way up the park and dinner when we stayed in the camp, no complaints. Food very good and all the staff were very courteous and friendly - a big change from last year when everything seemed too much trouble.

Letaba - M&B - dinner - had an excellent meal, which is always helped by the setting.

Mopani - Tindlovu - stopped off for breakfast and can only say it was a disaster. The food was cold and the rasher of bacon must have come from a very small pig. My cutlery was covered in egg from the previous user and when I came to use the jam it had already been opened and half used. My wife complained and the chef came out and apologised, but I am sure it was the same chef who came and apologised last year when we complained about the food being cold. Last year they said it was because it was a long walk from the kitchen, but they don't seem to grasp that hot food should be put onto hot plates. Stayed 3 nights later on the trip, but avoided the restaurant.

[P.S. Hi Hippotragus - it was probably me you referred to earlier re. our meeting at the Olifants river viewing point.]

Shingwedzi - Tindlovu - Had dinner and it was good, but the menu could do a change - why no fish course? Also had breakfast later on the trip and no complaints - staff friendly.

Punda Maria - Tindlovu - arrived at 13:00 hrs and after checking in went for breakfast. Breakfast menu only runs until 11:00 hrs? However the chef said we could choose from the breakfast menu if we wanted to. No complaints about food or staff. Decided not to use restaurant for dinner due to uninspiring menu.

Satara - M&B AND Debonaire's - had a lunchtime pizza and surprisingly very good (I am not a pizza fan). Went for dinner and just as we were about to order - power cut. Nothing could be served except grills and salads. Must have lit some candles in the kitchen. Had salads and very good. Perhaps they need a gas oven for similar emergencies as we had several cuts in power supply whilst in the park.

Lower Sabie - M&B - called for breakfast and very good.

Berg-en-Dal - Tindlovu - didn't use.

In the camps where M&B are running the restaurants there seems to have been a big improvement on what they have been like for the past few years, but still think they need a change to their menu, which is exactly the same as in all the M&B's in SA. The only fish course available is fishcakes.
As for the Tindlovu restaurants - some staff training and menu change is needed before they can get back what they were like 10 to 15 years ago, when in the evenings the restaurants used to be well attended.

The only way things change is if you not satisfied with the food or service is to complain. We will see if Mopani has improved next year.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all. (It will be our first in the UK for 8 years.)

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi bondm! I just couldn't quite remember your alias (thought it had "bond" in it).

Thank you for taking the trouble to make your comments on the restaurants.

Overall there seems to have been a great improvement with the introduction of the M&Bs. With a little more training and improved menus, the Tindlovo restaurants that have problems at the moment will be improved.

Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to you. Maybe we'll bump into each other again in Kruger next year!
KTP May 2015

Inyati

Unread postby Inyati » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Greetings... :mrgreen:

I agree 100% that the M&B are and have been great since they were introduced, and certainly does allow for choice and tasty food.... BUUUUUTTTTT......

NOTHING BEATS A BREKKIES BEING COOKED AT ONE OF THE PICNIC SPOTS.... :dance: :dance: :dance:
"All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific."

catman

Unread postby catman » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Review of my experiences at Mugg and Bean over the last week.

Satara , used the quick option of just getting muffin and hot chocolate . 15 minutes with only one person in front of me. Person assisting was not very helpful and difficult to communicate with. rating 4 out of 10.

Lower Sabie . Had a breakfast. Food and service quick but quality was sadly lacking compared to my last visit in September. still a great setting. 5 out of 10 rating.

Olifants. Great setting , must be best view in the park . Food took a while , but was worth the wait. Rating 9 out of 10. (was very hot outside. , they should consider putting in the fine mist spray devices)

Still believe the introduction of the franchises is a 1000% improvement of what was there before.

Deeds

Unread postby Deeds » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:07 am

Not sure if this is the correct forum but don't know where else to post my question.
I am a diabetic so cannot eat muffins or pizzas, or any bread rolls or pitta for that matter. Does M&B or Wimpy have any quick options?
:popcorn:

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:15 am

Best option is to google their websites where you can see their menus.....and even ask questions if you need to. They offer the same menus in the park.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Return to “Kruger National Park”