Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Restaurants/Menus at Kruger Restcamps.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 pm 

We decided to chance it and have lunch at Lower Sabie restaurant on Saturday, nothing fancy, 2 of us had pies, chips and gravy, which were served promptly, hot and with very tasty gravy.
Jock had a chicken burger and raved about it! It was not the usual compressed pattie but a proper piece of chicken fillet nicely seasoned and spiced, plus a fresh side salad.
We did think the prices a little high and the only other complaint might be that the plastic tablecloth could have been a bit cleaner alto they seemed to be wiping them between customers?
Granted the place was not all that busy but it was weekend.

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 pm 
Guru
Guru

alexmagda wrote:
jelico60 wrote:
Share all disappointed comments on the restaurants .......

Fully agree and shares your comments. I'm still wondering if someone of Sanparks also reads this topics and if they still care what the tourist has on his mind.......
Have we news about the change of management at the restaurant? Who (and when) was elected for the new contract?

Dear Alexmagda

As SANParks we do appreciate your feedback as it help us in the management of the parks. Please note that tender for restaurants was advertised and SANParks is in the process of appointing service providers who will run the restaurant. The Mopani restaurant has been handed over to the new management (Tourvest) and is currently doing well.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm 

Stephens.L wrote:
The Mopani restaurant has been handed over to the new management (Tourvest) and is currently doing well.
I can vouch for this. We enjoyed a lovely lunch with great food, good service etc a few weeks back :clap: :clap:

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 am 
Guru
Guru

alexmagda wrote:
Stephens.L wrote:
....... Please note that tender for restaurants was advertised and SANParks is in the process of appointing service providers who will run the restaurant. The Mopani restaurant has been handed over to the new management (Tourvest) and is currently doing well.

Thanks Guru for your reply. As you can read in many replies most of the people are "hungry" for the times with the buffets and a lot of people in the restaurant in the evening......

Do you have an idea of the timing wich the new management will be installed in the other restaurants..Is it 1 by 1 or for all of them at once?
We are visiting KNP in september and I presume it is too early for exploring the changing of management?

Dear Alexmagda

I do not have an exact date in terms of when the new management will be taking over. Please note that not all the restaurants will be given to one service provider. We will have different service providers throughout the park.

Stephens Ledwaba
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:46 am 
Guru
Guru

Stark wrote:
When was Mopani handed over? We were there a year ago (almost to the day) and had a lovely breakfast.

Dear Stark

Touvest took over early this year.

Stephens Ledwaba
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Personally I think it is madness to have A La Carte for dinner in Kruger.

Waiting on tables takes a tremendous amount of training and experience and most visitors to Kruger do not even want it.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:38 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Stephens.L wrote:
I do not have an exact date in terms of when the new management will be taking over. Please note that not all the restaurants will be given to one service provider. We will have different service providers throughout the park.

Excellent; different service providers = variation and options. :clap:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:18 pm 

Having just returned from a visit to Kruger, we were shocked at the state of the restaurant at Letaba Camp where we stayed for the first 4 days of our trip. Absolutely filthy and spiders everywhere you looked! I know we were in a national park but come on do we really have to dodge spiders to get a cold drink from a fridge? As for the prices charged it's no wonder there were hardly any patrons at the restaurant. R44.50 for a Toasted Bacon and Egg sandwich is really exorbitant. As ordinary South Africans we could not afford to eat there! It was the same at Skukuza - both restaurants run by "The Compass Group" - an International company whose head office is in the United Kingdom. Is it a case of make as much money as quickly as possible, tourists are happy to eat anything, regardless of the quality.
I didn't think things could get worse at the restaurants in Kruger but it seems I was mistaken.
Really bad show. :shock: :x :(

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 pm 

It's not good to know about this! Multinational company and ordinary food. I would prefer more typical food from South Africa.

Can someone confirm me that all the restaurants in Kruger Park are a-la-carte for dinner and managed by Compass Group? And for breakfast there are buffet?
How much do a main course (for dinner) cost about?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:40 pm 

At the moment all restaurants except Mopani are run by Tree group (a subsidary of Compass). This will change but we don't know the exact dates at this moment in time.

Not sure about the breakfasts but dinner is a la carte at the restaurants. Satara sometimes opens up it's braai at the weekends but I'm not sure if this is only if they are expecting a large tour group.

Tshokwane is now being run by SANParks and they offer different breakfasts - scrambled eggs on toast etc and of course the wonderful wors. Not sure what is happening at Afsaal or Nkuhlu.

Skukuza and I think Lower Sabie have also started doing lunch-time braais, along the lines of what is provided at Tshokwane.

And the Selati Restaurant in Skukuza is open in the evenings. They have a slightly expanded menu and seem to have started up the wood-fired pizza ovens again.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Afsaal, has a lovely breakfast menu, and I think are run by Sanparks

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:58 pm 

Hello

We just came back from kruger, and can add the following

Afsaal has been taken over by sanparks on the 31st of May, it no longer looks like a curio shop, and the massive shop albeit a little bare, is being upgraded into bigger kitchens. The staff were friendly, and although it looks like they are settling in, and are battling a bit with the volume vs the current small kitchen, things are looking better.

Satara - wooden banana, slow, overpriced, and make insipid hot chocolate.

Skukuza, we skipped the wooden banana and sat on terrace and ordered from main restaurant, value for money much better ( 20 bucks cheaper for the basic breakfast) and the service was awesome, and the food tasty and served quickly and efficiently. We all had omelettes, and they where good.

Tshokwane, the same as when we where there 18 months ago. Staff friendly, food, ok.

My Google Earth Sanparks Collection Updated 16 March

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 am 

I did not read through the whole thread, so I don't know if I'm repeating this.

I can't specifically remember when the survey was done (last year?), but we filled in a questionaire where we were asked which restaurant we'd like to see in Kruger. The choice was between Spur, Mugg and Bean (my choice) and a few others. Now we go very often to Kruger (at least once a month), and prefer to eat at Tshokwane, rather than Satara or Lower Sabie.

Also, if I see what Storms River rest camp's restaurant offers (it is excellent!!!), I can't see why Kruger can't be on par as well.

Post subject: Christmas dinner and food in general
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:48 pm 

Anyone done the Christmas dinner at Satara? We plan to be there for Christmas day?

Unfotunately the time is rather strange the dinner finishes at four so we will have to get there after a long drive.

Is it worth it? We didn't want to take too much by way of groceries so decided this will be the better option.

Last time we were in the kruger we were rather shocked at how bad the food was in most restaurants in the camps. The catering left a lot to be desired. Has this improved since 2009? How would you rate the food in the various camps from good to bad?

Thanks Koen

Post subject: Re: Christmas dinner and food in general
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm 

Hi Koen

We had lunch there in April 2013 and apart from the same standard menu, the food was really of lower taste. Honestly didn’t enjoy it at all. Oddly enough, the same meal from the same standard menu at Letaba was surprisingly delectable. (Then again, some other mites might have experienced it the other way around)

From my experience I can add that for some unknown reason the following camps are worth dining at: :thumbs_up:
Letaba, Mopani, Olifants and Skekuza (by the old train). The service was a bit slow, but the quality of food was worth paying for.

As for Christmas lunch? I’ve already booked our seats at the restaurant in Mopani :dance:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next