Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Help: newbbie to KNP
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:29 pm 

Esusino,

Welcome to the Forum. as a first time visitor I agree with all the previous comments and your own observations that remaining mostly in the South is a good idea. During the time of your intended trip you should have good visibility. The winter months are when the grass dies down and you can thus see further in to the bush. I'm sure that you'll see your fair share of big and small animals and birds.

Be aware that Kruger is busier during local school holidays and according to the current government information the holidays run from 27 June until 2 1 July 2014. After this you should find a touch more availability.

I would have a differing route, but choose the route that suites your needs. You can't go wrong. Lower Sabie would be my first stop if you can make it there before the gate shuts.

My favourite camps are Pretoriuskop and Lower Sabie in the South. Both have a magical atmosphere (just like all the other camps). Satara is my next favourite camp. It is in what is often termed cat country. Lower Sabie and Skukuza are busy camps, but when out and about you soon leave the crowds behind you. There are a lot of roads to choose from. So don't let that distract you from choosing one of them if you can find availability. The side benefit of P/Kop for us is that it is close to a few entrance gates so if we hit traffic on our inward journey we don't have a major rush on our hands to make it to the camp before the gates shut.

As far as activities go I would recommend a sunset drive at any of the camps you stay at. You get to go out in the last of the light and then return in the dark of the night. If your budget allows then maybe do a sunset drive at one camp and a night drive at another.

The pictures on the website are as you would see the accommodation: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ca ... t.php#main

For availability look here: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... bility.php

Travel times between Camps: http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/ge ... _camps.pdf

Good luck with your trip planning and hope you get to enjoy the count down. Have a brows through the forum. There is a lot of information out there.

PS: An essential piece of 'equipment' will be to get a KNP road map. I still use one that I bought at Malelane gate a few years back. It was about R35 (maybe a bit more these days) but it is all you need to navigate withing the park. They have it in a few languages too.

May 2014 Trip: Skukuza 10/11 May; Satara 12/13 May; L/Sabie 14 May; P/Kop 15 May.