Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics






Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 15 of 17
 [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm
Posts: 374
Location: Johannesburg
Hi,

When we go to the Kruger we are always doing out bit to pick up any litter that we see, mostly beer bottles, sweet papers, energy drink bottles etc.

It it absolutely disgusting that someone would just throw a bottle out the window and not wait until they get back to camp to throw it in the bin.

Litter is also dangerous for the animals because they could eat and it could get stuck in their stomach.

I think the management of the Kruger has to do something about the litter problem as soon as possible because it is getting worse.

Samantha

_________________
Kruger 2014
9 - 12 December - Lower Sabie
Kruger 2015
28-31 March - Orpen


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm
Posts: 30
I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Durban
If everyone had the same mind set as you, Troupant1, our world would be a better place to live in.
It comes down to manners and respect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:52 pm
Posts: 2603
Location: VEREENIGING
I concur:

I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st century.

I visit the our National Parks very often, just maybe the handing out of the refuse bags with every entrance permit will draw those who do not care much for the environment to the fact that they are not at home where they can do as they like but entering a conservation area and should keep it litter free. I know someone will now pipe up and state that the bags are issued, not quite so, I get mine when I request it.

In the times when I was less grey one would be issued with a KNP sticker with the speed limit on, also stating that one has to stick to the road, stay in your vehicle and not litter, unfortunately since Judas had retired from the Numbi Gate this had also ceased. I recommended that this be implemented again, it was enthusiastically forwarded to SANParks by the Mods and guess what - nothing came of it.

While on the issuing of items to guests at reception, Volkswagen and Audi started the "Unite against poaching" campaign and made stickers available to the KNP entrance gates, now - nothing, the staff just shrug their shoulders in embarrassment when asked about it. Surely these stickers are not that expensive and if the authorities really mean the causes mentioned, they would make a plan.

Someone may again now pipe up and say it is on the entrance permit, yes it is, issue the stickers as well, they may further the cause, and us purists who care will have much less to moan about.

_________________
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am 
Offline
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am
Posts: 5185
Location: SA
FAC Member (2013)
I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.

_________________
An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language - Martin Buber


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:46 am
Posts: 80
Location: Alberton, South Africa
Gmlsmit makes a really good point. As kids we fought over those stickers and today as adults we still breathe the values those old stickers preached.

_________________
Dr. Kevin Azzie

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!



15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:48 am 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm
Posts: 1022
Troupant1 wrote:
I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Shingwedzi 21 - 22 December 2014
Letaba 23 - 26 December 2014
Olifants 27 - 29 December 2014
Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:09 pm
Posts: 2644
Location: In the heart of the Waterberg; Deep in Limpopo
tent dweller wrote:
Troupant1 wrote:
I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)

_________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 pm
Posts: 1135
Location: London
PNF wrote:
tent dweller wrote:
Troupant1 wrote:
I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)


Perhaps you have just been brought properly! :)

I have said on here before. This littering and breakdown in standards of behaviour, has actually happened all over the world. People whose parents taught them to consider only themselves and have no regard for anyone else are everywhere and only focus on what they want and their right to do as they please.

It is unlikely that as children they were ever taken to a park to enjoy the lawns with a lake and flowers, or the countryside to saviour the scenery and view. Their parents only taught them to ensure they eject all their rubbish out of their car/pockets or handbag, to save the bother of taking it home for disposal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 pm
Posts: 1135
Location: London
The forumites here are very respectful of their heritage and the beauty of South Africa and it must be very painful to see humans abuse it and not even notice that the wilderness is covered in litter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:58 am
Posts: 86
Location: KZN
Grantmissy wrote:
I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.


In December 1968 between the Olifants River low water bridge and the camp I counted 100 beer cans per mile. Some to the cans were a good 50 yards off the road. This was the day after xmas.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 am
Posts: 36
Thebi wrote:
Grantmissy wrote:
I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.


In December 1968 between the Olifants River low water bridge and the camp I counted 100 beer cans per mile. Some to the cans were a good 50 yards off the road. This was the day after xmas.


So Thebi, are you saying that there is less littering now than in 1968? :whistle:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:48 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 242
Do you have photographs Thebi? Are you sure it was 100 beer cans per mile back in 1968?
In all honesty, its very easy for me to come on here and say that I saw the cow jump over the moon. But I certainly cant expect anyone to believe me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:15 pm 
Offline
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 am
Posts: 2216
Location: Arizona, USA
I can't believe most of what you say 405-504. ;)

Sounds like the point is littering has been a problem in the park for a very long time.

_________________
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 pm 
Offline
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:20 pm
Posts: 242
Hehehehe.
Stark, I am only here to post my thoughts, and its certainly ok if not everyone believes or agrees with them.
But I cannot believe that litter in the park back in '68 is on the same scale as that which is being experienced currently. Sorry, pull the other one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: H. erectus and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Webcams Highlights

Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Addo Nossob Orpen Satara
Submitted by Stampajane at 18:36:53 Submitted by Philip1 at 18:50:56 Submitted by BevAnn at 18:33:22 Submitted by Ton&Herma at 13:37:01