Skip to Content

Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Discuss current issues and events happening in the parks.
User avatar
Mant
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:34 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby Mant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,

When we go to the Kruger we are always doing out bit to pick up any litter that we see, mostly beer bottles, sweet papers, energy drink bottles etc.

It it absolutely disgusting that someone would just throw a bottle out the window and not wait until they get back to camp to throw it in the bin.

Litter is also dangerous for the animals because they could eat and it could get stuck in their stomach.

I think the management of the Kruger has to do something about the litter problem as soon as possible because it is getting worse.

Samantha

Troupant1
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby Troupant1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?

User avatar
Stampajane
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:17 pm
Location: Durban

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby Stampajane » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm

If everyone had the same mind set as you, Troupant1, our world would be a better place to live in.
It comes down to manners and respect.

User avatar
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2606
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:52 pm
Location: VEREENIGING

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby gmlsmit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm

I concur:

I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st century.

I visit the our National Parks very often, just maybe the handing out of the refuse bags with every entrance permit will draw those who do not care much for the environment to the fact that they are not at home where they can do as they like but entering a conservation area and should keep it litter free. I know someone will now pipe up and state that the bags are issued, not quite so, I get mine when I request it.

In the times when I was less grey one would be issued with a KNP sticker with the speed limit on, also stating that one has to stick to the road, stay in your vehicle and not litter, unfortunately since Judas had retired from the Numbi Gate this had also ceased. I recommended that this be implemented again, it was enthusiastically forwarded to SANParks by the Mods and guess what - nothing came of it.

While on the issuing of items to guests at reception, Volkswagen and Audi started the "Unite against poaching" campaign and made stickers available to the KNP entrance gates, now - nothing, the staff just shrug their shoulders in embarrassment when asked about it. Surely these stickers are not that expensive and if the authorities really mean the causes mentioned, they would make a plan.

Someone may again now pipe up and say it is on the entrance permit, yes it is, issue the stickers as well, they may further the cause, and us purists who care will have much less to moan about.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

User avatar
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)
Posts: 7868
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am
Location: SA

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am

I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

User avatar
Riverrat
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:46 am
Location: Alberton, South Africa

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby Riverrat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Gmlsmit makes a really good point. As kids we fought over those stickers and today as adults we still breathe the values those old stickers preached.
Dr. Kevin Azzie

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!



15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

User avatar
tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1102
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby tent dweller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:48 am

Troupant1 wrote:I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

User avatar
PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 3337
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: In the heart of the Waterberg; Deep in Limpopo

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby PNF » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:01 am

tent dweller wrote:
Troupant1 wrote:I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Us and The Ant:
Shingwedzi 20 - 24 Aug
Tsendze 24 Aug - 5 Sept

User avatar
missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: London

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread postby missings.a.! » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am

PNF wrote:
tent dweller wrote:
Troupant1 wrote:I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?


Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:


:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)


Perhaps you have just been brought properly! :)

I have said on here before. This littering and breakdown in standards of behaviour, has actually happened all over the world. People whose parents taught them to consider only themselves and have no regard for anyone else are everywhere and only focus on what they want and their right to do as they please.

It is unlikely that as children they were ever taken to a park to enjoy the lawns with a lake and flowers, or the countryside to saviour the scenery and view. Their parents only taught them to ensure they eject all their rubbish out of their car/pockets or handbag, to save the bother of taking it home for disposal.

User avatar
missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 1189
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: London

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby missings.a.! » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am

The forumites here are very respectful of their heritage and the beauty of South Africa and it must be very painful to see humans abuse it and not even notice that the wilderness is covered in litter.

Thebi
Posts: 89
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: KZN

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby Thebi » Thu May 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Grantmissy wrote:I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.


In December 1968 between the Olifants River low water bridge and the camp I counted 100 beer cans per mile. Some to the cans were a good 50 yards off the road. This was the day after xmas.

IBmit
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 am

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby IBmit » Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 pm

Thebi wrote:
Grantmissy wrote:I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.


In December 1968 between the Olifants River low water bridge and the camp I counted 100 beer cans per mile. Some to the cans were a good 50 yards off the road. This was the day after xmas.


So Thebi, are you saying that there is less littering now than in 1968? :whistle:

User avatar
4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby 4O4-5O4 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Do you have photographs Thebi? Are you sure it was 100 beer cans per mile back in 1968?
In all honesty, its very easy for me to come on here and say that I saw the cow jump over the moon. But I certainly cant expect anyone to believe me.

User avatar
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby Stark » Thu May 29, 2014 4:15 pm

I can't believe most of what you say 405-504. ;)

Sounds like the point is littering has been a problem in the park for a very long time.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

User avatar
4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread postby 4O4-5O4 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:37 pm

Hehehehe.
Stark, I am only here to post my thoughts, and its certainly ok if not everyone believes or agrees with them.
But I cannot believe that litter in the park back in '68 is on the same scale as that which is being experienced currently. Sorry, pull the other one.


Return to “Forum Indaba”