Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:57 am 

There's a petrol station in the airport, SkyStop I think its called and is signposted.

Post subject: Protests at Malamulela/Thohoyandou area
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:08 am 

Morning Mites,

I will be travelling to Puda Maria late this month, i wanted to check how safe is the road from Thohoyandou to Punda Maria as there is Protests in tha Malamulela area regarding municipal issues.

Anyone who had travelled that road recently can advise.

Post subject: Re: Protests at Malamulela/Thohoyandou area
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 am 
Guru
Guru

It is difficult to confirm if the protests will still be there or not when you visit the park. I will advise that you contact the Punda Maria Gate on 013 735 6870 prior to your departure. Our colleagues from Punda Maria gate monitor the situation on a daily basis and they should be able to provide you with the latest information. Alternatively you can use Pafuri or Phalaborwa Gate.

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:38 am 

Hi all

We just traveled the; Belfast-Dullstroom -Lydenburg to Orpen gate route both ways. No road works, but road has lots and very bad potholes for 20kms before Lydenburg, in Lydenburg and about for 30kms outside of Lydenburg. They are all over the road, so slow down and be careful out there.

The rest of the route is pretty easy going and as scenic as ever.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

tent dweller wrote:
silly question :redface: :redface: Are the roadworks still active on the Magoebaskloof and Georges valley routes???? I spoke to a customer the other day and they advised us to use Duiwelskloof when going to the park (entering at Phalaborwa gate) in December, any truth in this :doh: :doh: :doh: thanks for any imput

They are TD and think they will be for a little while yet. They are in the process of building bridges to widen the road, one just outside Haenertsburg and the other near the old lakeside motel which became the private school.

I was there a few weeks back and didn't get caught for long as they are very short stop and go's now. Depending on the time you go through, I would probably still go this route.

I have not been down Georges valley for years, so cannot comment on that route.

Post subject: Best route Joburg to Letaba camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:59 am 

Hello!!! I have been lucky to get accom at letaba for next week thurs and fri. I havnt been in that area for about 10 years. I am travelling from joburg. Can anyone help me with the quickest safest way to get there. So many options ie Jhb Polokwane Phalaborwa, Jhb lydenberg origstad phalaborwa, Jhb hoedspruit orpen, Jhb nelspruit paul kruger gate. I have heard that some of these roads are in a bad state of repair.

Post subject: Re: Best route Joburg to Letaba camp
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:16 am 

Hi Littlejohn
We are heading that way as well on Monday and I would recommend Polokwane/Phalaborwa. Travelled that way in April and all was well. Very pretty route as well once you get a little way off the N1.
Cheers and enjoy!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Littlejohn

I would suggest Jhb lydenberg origstad phalaborwa route. I have done this route and the Orpen route via Hoedspruit(basically the same route) numerous times. Yes there are potholes 20km's beofre Lydenburg, in Lydenburg and about 20kms out of Lydenburg heading towards Origstad.

As you said you travel at 110km so now that you know there are potholes if you take it easy you will be fine. Other that that the road is great and very scenic, nothing like the feeling of going up the Abel Erasmus pass through the tunnel and seeing the Lowveld below you.

Have a safe Journey :thumbs_up:

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:30 pm 

How long will it take, roughly on the abovementioned route if i left at 05h00 from joburg?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

6 hours with a good stop.

The problem is that these re regional roads. If Belfast and Lydenburg municipalities cant even keep their roads in the town center up to scratch there is no way they are going to fix these roads unfortunately.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 pm 

My sister who lives in Tzaneen told me today that the road from Polokwane, via Magoebaskloof through Tzaneen
is being repaired in the mountain pass, which is a bit of a nightmare at the moment. The Haenertsburg/StGeorges valley road only has 1 stop/go, but long queues of trucks, which adds quite a bit of driving time. We travelled from Jhb, via Dullstroom/Lydenburg/Ohrigstad a month ago, the road, apart from the potholes as stated by the other 'mites, is ok. It should take about 6 hours from Jhb with 1/2hour stop along the way.

Post subject: Re: N4 to Nelspruit
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

hi PietSkiet

I have also driven on Schoemanskloof with the stop and goes. We weren't held up to long 20minutes at max, how long were you held up?
I would much rather be delayed a bit on Schoemanskloof than drive on some of the potholed roads towards Lydenburg...

It isnt the worst place to stop and enjoy the scenery either :mrgreen:

Which ever way you go, have a safe trip and enjoy it!

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:47 am 

Just to let you all know....returned via Hoedspruit, Orighstad, Lydenburg and dullies and apart from a few earth filled pot holes just before and after Lydenburg, the road was great. Most of the pot holed areas were signposted. I will do that road again no problem.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am 

Pietermaritzburg to Punda Maria

Hello everyone,
I will be driving from Pietermaritzburg to Punda Maria in May next year and would like to know what the best route would be, the quickest route. I want to do it in one go so I will leave at about 3am and then either go:

N3 to Jhb, N1 to Makhado via Thohoyandou to Punda Maria gate
or
Newcastle, Ermelo, Lydenburg, Ohrigstad, Giyani

The TomTom route planner shows that both of these routes are approx. 11hrs but in reality I know that this may be different.

Thank you.

Jo

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:37 am 

Hi all. We will be visiting KNP from mid Nov and most of Dec. but first visiting Marakele and Mapangubwe.
What is the best route from Mapangubwe to Punda Maria? I believe the usual road via Musina is not usable due to a bridge washed away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next