SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Quick, effective, convenient access to sightings in Krug
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I love the assumption that sightings software causes animal fatalities, tenuous much? Statistically an animal is more likely to be hit by a delivery vehicle than a visitor, fact. Blaming Software for speeding is sad.

I did not make any assumptions on the Sightingsgroups followers killing animals Monty, I saw it with my own eyes. :thumbs_up:

I think you said it in your next sentence, YOU did it. Now, my theory is as follows:

If I have a tiff with somebody here, and I get off the rails, crossing the borders of Sanity, wel crossing the rules, I will be Banned, removed, disciplined etc. So now I think it it time for the "Leaders" of these groups to step up to the plate, as they had the limelight, the coverage in Media etc. and enforce sanity in Their groups. :thumbs_up: Every way you think about it, the guys that started these groups have a RESPONSIBILITY to other people that are also in Kruger. HOW can we let them know about what goes wrong inside their group. Take responsibility with the limelight. :wink: Control your app. otherwise as I already said, it will go sour. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2013)
DuQues wrote:
Scipio wrote:
I will be Banned, removed, disciplined etc.

You really should put it into proper order... How can we possibly discipline you after banning? :shock: :lol:

But from what I see on the forums the people using those sightings messages seem to be used by the people that know not to speed or pass other good sightings. :pray:
?
yes so the BB groups are nature lovers but the one twitter account has 18000 followers last i looked. Are all of them the same? in every group there are a few bad apples and even in our forum there are a few that don't abide the rules, ne Scips :twisted:
I have seen JJ's rushing to a spot where they got info from may it be a walkie talkie, twitter, bb group etc. and I read about people chasing after sightings. This technology that started out to help people that have never seen a leopard in their life to spot one has cascaded into something that is a nuisance to other Park goers and the animals are being the victims once again because of our selfishness.
Well I am part of the BB group but if there weren't any I wouldn't care.

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

This might sound stupid but if you hear of a traffic jam on the M13 do you rush off to see what happened. I don`t think so.
We as a family have been visiting KNP since 1969 and have seen many many changes but our modus operandi has never changed.
Try to be the first out the gate, let the Schumakers go and then go in the opposite direction. I promise you we have never ever been dissapointed in what we have seen and we have the pictures to prove it without many traffic jams.

Here`s one, we spent 3 hours with her with only one other car on the S33 which is a narrow dirt road as you all know. Can you imagine twenty cars jostling for a position.

729 by Russelg, on Flickr

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

Shingwedzi 27/12/14 to 30/12/14
Satara 31/12/14 to 04/01/15
Lower Sabie 05/01/15 to 10/01/15

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:30 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi all,

I just got home last night from an unbelievable trip to Kruger!!

I stayed at Skukuza and Satara.

I did use my own app if the sightings were close.
I went to a leopard sighting about 1 hour after it was reported.
When I arrived I was greeted very happily by 3 other cars.
They even asked me if they must move for me to get a good spot! This doesn't always happen.

I got a report of a lioness sleeping at Sweni waterhole. Lucky for me I was on my way there. 0 cars there!
I still managed to find her.

This trip after many many sightings I only witnessed bad behavior at 1 which was on Elloff street and that sighting wasn't even reported on the groups yet!

And NO I didn't go over 40kms at all! Even on tar roads.

I really hope you all don't believe when people say "This bad behavior never happened before! :evil: "
Because we all know it has!!
My family takes photos of every bad behavior we see and report it.
I have photos going back to 2004. Way before Latest Sightings.

Another example from today's sightings:

7:55am
Lions mating
on the S114, about 1km south of the S22 turnoff S of Skukuza
5/5
Spotted by Debs Tydon Safaris

Next report
‎10.50 am
Male mating with 2 different Lionesses
S114, about 1km South of the S22 turnoff
South of Skukuza
Not many cars
Visual 5/5
Spotted by Bronwynn
Reported: 2

I specifically asked Bronwynn how many cars were there this morning before I replied to this post to prove a point.
As you can see 3 hours later (More than enough time for people to rush off to it) there weren't even a lot of cars!

-----

In terms of educating I post the following EVERYDAY:

Remember when at or driving to a sighting:
-TING IT!
-No going over 50kmh.
-No getting / hanging out of cars.
-No feeding animals OR littering.
-Not to park in a way where nobody else can see the animal or pass through
-Switch off your engine.
-Not to play animal sounds
-To share suspicious activity & Dead animals
-No sharing of Rhino locations

This has helped reduce a lot as I did notice this trip and others on their trip.

-----

It's all to be a part of a Kruger Lover's community.
You aren't forced to use it. If you don't like it you can use it to see where the sightings are and go directly in the opposite direction. Or you can not use it at all!
Up to you.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:49 pm 

Very well said nadav

Speeding and bad behaviour was a thing from when I started coming to the park in the early 90s

I hope evry 1 against it is not wasting space on any of the groups or apps

I have seen loads of people standing at the sightings board marking the red and black pins on their maps and planning a route that way!you Wana take it that far remove the sightings boards as people also use that to rush to a sighting lol

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
I'm not saying that it is wrong to use twitter, FB or BB to see some sightings BUT I believe that some people are abusing the sightings applications and that speeding, bad behaviour and hit and runs have increased because of it. Like I said there are bad apples everywhere.

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Ossendryver, as I said, I hope nobody bashes your and others endeavours. An yes, thee was bad behaviour before, but now it is just easy to pinpoint it to App. Users. :whistle:

Where can we send proof of the culprits so they can be "spanked" :hmz: That is besided SANParks that is, so that the app. users can know they must adhere to the rules. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 am 

FAC Member (2013)
granny wrote:
In my opinion, we all go to the Kruger Park, or any other bush type experience to get away from the world we are forced to live in.

I respectfully disagree :)
Forgive me if I sounds condescending whilst I attempt to explain the social media phenomenon and how it applies in Kruger ...

We live in the information age of social networking. Social networking is a group of individuals sharing first hand information about whatever topic. Mostly social networking happens with online communities on websitesThese websites are known as social sites. This website for instance, is a social network of people that love Sanparks.
We like to stay connected discussing and sharing about Sanparks. If I have a great sighting, I immediately think of the moment I will share the experience and photos on this website. For I know they will connect with me and share my passion :D Happiness is only true when it is shared :D

When I get to Kruger, I feel more strongly than ever that I want to share my experiences with my social networks of nature lovers. I do not want to disconnect from the world I live in when I get to Kruger, I want to share that part of my life with those who can relate. :D I will call my parents, BBM Heksie, share with my BBM group, update my facebook status. etc

granny wrote:
For several months how many people have reported speeding, animals killed, a general bad type of behavior at sightings? This never used to happen!

This is not true. As others have said :thumbs_up:
The worst behavior I have ever seen was Dec2009 before all this.

granny wrote:
We now seem to attract the instant gratification type of visitor rushing from one sighting to another. I remember several times over the past 30 years that we didn't see a lot but still loved it. Better luck next year!

If you were to remove all the forumites that have used these updates, you would be left with a sad remainder of this community. The 'types' of people that use these updates are merely nature addicts that love to share there and then. I dare say if I listed the forumites that use this, that you would not say they are the wrong type of person.

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am 

FAC Member (2013)
This information age of social networking revolves around the question:
"what am I doing right now?"
And that is the reason for the existence of these groups To be able to share exactly where you are looking at what. And an audience of people who care to read that information.
:thumbs_up:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

spargish wrote:
Just a thought for Nadav, How about making making people sign up to your website in order to view the sightings? Also when people sign up why noy make it mandatory for them to input a regestration number for their car, if you get evidence of that person misbehaving you ban them from the the website and app.

We tried that, but people weren't responding well.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 pm 

Sightings Tracker on Android has over 550 registered members and it does monitor speed and distance between posts, and will not allow a sighting to be submitted if the speed difference was too high.

If it wasn't for social media, this forum and constant sightings keeping peoples interest in the Park 365 days a year, the marketing attention, good or bad to SANParks would be way less and certain problems and initiatives would receive relatively no attention at all.

It might be "bad" this interweb thingy, but some good does come with all these formats it has to be said.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

ossendryver wrote:
spargish wrote:
Just a thought for Nadav, How about making making people sign up to your website in order to view the sightings? Also when people sign up why noy make it mandatory for them to input a regestration number for their car, if you get evidence of that person misbehaving you ban them from the the website and app.

Well, maybe you should rethink your Terms and Conditions, and as it is said, it is Just nature lovers that share their sightings as stated below. So why would someone be shy to adhere to terms and conditions. Its like having you bread buttered on both sides :tongue:

Quote:
The 'types' of people that use these updates are merely nature addicts that love to share there and then.

Quote:
It might be "bad" this interweb thingy, but some good does come with all these formats it has to be said.

Monty, it is great marketing, but if it does escalate, it may backfire if a serious incident happens. Everything in life has rules to be adhered to. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Come to think about it, why do you want to share a sighting? Why do you go through all the effort to send a memo about the sighting to the rest of a group (pardon me if my terminology is not correct) ? Is it about really caring about what others see, or is about the kick of seeing how your technology works?

Do you buy a phone just to be used in Kruger, or do you take this apparatus with you to see what it can do in the bush?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:38 pm 
Rooies when I see a good sighting I always wave down other people in the vicinity to share my sighting with them because seeing the excitement in some of their faces are just priceless. Is what I'm doing then not the same as sharing a sighting on my BBgroup?

12 Jul Tambotie
13 Jul Sable Hide
14+15 Jul Punda
16-19 Jul Tsendze

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ossendryver wrote:
spargish wrote:

Unfortunately whats right is not always popular. As uncle Ben said "With Great power, comes great responsibility"

Bro & Sis Road Trip V2 in September

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next