Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Warning for Afsaal Picnic Spot KNP
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am 

Quite some time ago we stayed at Malelane, where the little vervet monkeys were a pain.
Staff there actively encouraged us to throw small stones at them as they were becoming very aggressive and raiding visitors' belongings and the homes of the staff too.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Talking about ketties, we stayed north gate, Moremi in Botswana and the monkeys there have learned how to avoid being hit by a pellet from a kettie. As soon as you pick up the kettie, they hide behind the trunk of the tree. When you walk to the other side, they just move to this side. Give them just enough time and they will figure out another way of stealing. (Makes me think about some of our fellow human citizens)

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 pm 

In August 2012 my sister, myself and her 2 year old grandchild visited the Kruger. We were having lunch at BnD when the monkeys grabbed the unused sugar from the table next to us where a few older women were having tea. They are very fast. Did it a second time as soon as everybody carried on with their normal activities.

At Nkulu a monkey was trying to steal some tourist's bag, but it was too heavy to pick up so it started looking to see what was in the bag. The uhmmmm :big_eyes: lady used some choice ( I think it was Italian) words, but the monkey did not run away. Her male companions were hiding behind her - not doing much to chase the little bugger away.

I (boere tannie) walked over and clapped my hands and told the monkey in Afrikaans to take a hike. I am not sure who got the bigger fright: the tourists or the monkey when I made my presence known, but at least the monkey did not get anything valuable. I would hate to know what she told her friends back home about the wild life and females of South Africa :redface:

:)

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 pm 

On Jul 21 at Nkuhlu picnic area a monkey came at me whildst I was eating at a picnic table. We screamed at him and eventually he ran off. The next day also at Nkuhlu an extremely large male baboon stole an ice cream from a lady seated behind me. The poor lady was about to take a bite of the ice cream when the baboon grabbed it from her and ran off. There was a uniformed employee standing around with a gun but he did not respond to the baboon problem. Today, Jul 23 at Tshokwane a bird stole a chip off my plate while I was eating. I've decided to avoid the picnic areas for the remainder of this trip. Too many robbers!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 am 

Similar thing happened to me at Tshokwane in March this year: had a toasted cheese sandwich on the table in front of me, as I reached out to pick up a piece I felt something grab my left leg, and turned to find a vervet on the ground to my left with its paw on my leg. While I was distracted, another vervet landed on the chair on my right and took half the sandwich. Apparently they work in teams now :D I'm only grabbing takeaway from the picnic spots from now on.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:05 pm 

Here is a story from my last Trip Report:

"We pulled in to Tshokwane for more of that yummy carrot cake - I was watching 2 baboons sizing up the early morning trade and watched them climb one tree whose branches were directly over our heads.

Seeing them creep along the branches staring at our food it was obvious they were on a reccy mission.

Suddenly they dropped to the ground and ran straight to the table next to us where an old lady with a stick and her daughter and granddaughter had a lovely brekkie spread out.

The blighters had spotted the weakest link and went straight for the kill. They hadn’t however reckoned with a gungho Dutchman (My SO) who leaped to his feet and started screamng and shouting at them.

One of the cheeky beggars still stuck his paw in the cooler box and was frantically rooting around before deciding it probably wasn’t worth getting a size 12 boot up his backside and running for the hills..."

Seems like nothing much has changed :-)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:00 am 

Although I wrote two weeks ago that I intended to avoid the picnic areas because of problems with the baboons and monkeys, when traveling from Satara to Skukuza, Tsohokwane is pretty much the only choice for lunch. On July 30th we had ordered toasted sandwiches and were in the process of sitting down with our cokes and a small wrapped packet of shortbread when a large monkey attempted to reach over me to grab the shortbread packet. My spouse grabbed the iron sign with our order number and threatened the monkey who then grabbed at me! before eventually retreating. :cry: Someone from the brai heard the noise and chased the monkeys across the suspension bridge. When our order arrived, I ate quickly to retreat to the automobile before opening our shortbread.

In Skukuza we also had monkey problems. We were staying in a bungalow in the 40s, on the far side of the conference centre, near the old swimming pool. One male monkey had dominion over our circle of bungalows. At mid-afternoon, while we were inside for a brief moment the large monkey stole an apple and a chocolate bar from our fridge. We came running out and the monkey acted as if we were disturbing him (of course we were). Another gentleman in the circle told me that they had stayed there for 4 nights and that the monkey had become increasingly aggressive towards him when he tried to chase it away.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A rubber/plastic snake does frighten baboons. It must be a wiggly one and be shaken to make it wiggle, not thrown to lie still. Ours was used once to chase a baboon out of someone's car at a lookout point. He took one look at the man shaking it and was out of the car in one leap.

It probably wouldn't need to be a replica snake, but just something to shake to resemble a snake's movements.

Like the idea of a leopard picture. :D Someone sent me a birthday card once with a life-size cat face on the front. I showed it to my cat and she hissed at it. :D

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I can think that they will not be scared anymore by a rubber snake lying still. I am sure they have got used to it. But when the snake moves, in what ever way, I don't think they will stick around to find out whether it is real or rubber.

I need to go and buy a rubber "cobra" for my trip later this month! :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
There is a very big aggressive Baboon at Nkulu picnic spot, the leader of the gang. We went into the shop the week before last, bought some sandwiches and as we left the shop he was upon us and grabbed one of the sandwiches from my hand. I do not think he is scared of humans any longer. It happened so quick and we did not expect it at all. Some of the people at the picnic spot told us that very same Baboon grabbed food from a small child’s hands during the same week. Take care at the picnic sites and keep your eye on the apes. I guess a person need to drape the snake as advised here around a person's neck and walk around with the wiggling snake :hmz: or alternatively put on a leopard suit to be left in peace by those Baboons and Monkeys :evil: .

Last edited by Grantmissy on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I sense an opportunity in the market for a self-wriggling rubber snake!

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 am 

Unfortunately these baboons are not "baboons" as far as distinguishing a real snake from a rubber one. We used to go diving at Cape Point Nature Reserve years ago when the baboons were attacking people. We bought the meanest looking rubber snake we could find, draped it over our cooler box, and the baboon grabbed it, bit into it, threw it aside and was into our cooler within 15 seconds :big_eyes: They will get a fright a couple of times, and afterwards they just ignore the decoys, as we saw time and again. The only deterrent was a sjambok that one could "crack" - something that the conservation guys kept with them to chase away these guys. They are very clever indeed, and unfortunately target women and children, knowing full well they are "soft targets".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12