Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Length of stay at sightings
Unread postPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

for us personally, we'd move off the 'prime spot' after we've taken in and enjoyed the sighting, and give others a chance to enjoy the view.
but sometime we' dont mind parking off (not in prime spot or traffic jams but still where we can monitor the animal (lions only) specifically if there is chance of them getting up/hunting if there are nearby game.
if ur not hogging the the view and there is place for others basically, i dont think it should b a problem.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:23 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I have seen more tempers at sightings than on the William Nicoll in rush hour. :( and that includes taxis.

Sadly, if the perception is that someone is inconsiderate or rude, people can hit the "red zone". It takes a little courtesy to defuse tempers.

I don't stay long at sightings. I am lucky enough to be able to go to Kruger often. I remind myself as I start entering the "red zone" that many are not so fortunate.

I am afraid the selfish behaviour is my "red zone". I don't get angry about not being able to see something, but I do get angry when I see others excluded from a sighting. This indicates an elevated sense of entitlement from the driver.

I have given my daughters one little tip on choosing a boyfriend.. watch how they drive. If they are selfish on the road, they will be selfish in the home.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had the following incident this past December:

We were driving back to B & D after a morning drive when we came to a massive traffic jam.
The usual chaos. I said to my kids that we should just make our way through the jam and get back to camp - it probably wasn't worth the sighting anyway. So as I weave my way through the traffic with absolutely no intention of stopping. This very nice man waves to me, shifts his car and as I edge forward to move on, move around the other car, I am now in prime position at a Leopard sighting. Only because the other driver had moved his car so I could drive through. So I point out the Leopard very quickly to my kids (wasn't a brilliant view anyway - quite deep in the bush) and move on. But I was getting a lot of dirty looks from the other drivers :evil:
But I had honestly no intention of forcing my way in to get the best spot, and I stayed at most a minute.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I have given my daughters one little tip on choosing a boyfriend.. watch how they drive. If they are selfish on the road, they will be selfish in the home.

Great advice MM. My parents would add that the way someone treats animals, domestic or wild gives an indication of someone's compassion! I remember all these tips I received fondly, even though I am now in my late 20s and happily married.. I wonder if my driving is what my wife fell in love with?!