Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
Here is the link to the article in the Beeld. [Afrikaans only]

http://www.beeld.com/Suid-Afrika/Nuus/Onder-olifantpote-20130416

Post subject: Re: Tourist and Elephant clash
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 am 

The damage to that vehicle is quite extensive. It wouldn't surprise me if the driver was speeding, came around a corner, saw an elephant in the road, got a fright, swerved and rolled the vehicle only then to blame the entire incident on an enraged elephant!
My opinion.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:42 am 

And an English version:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... s-car.html

27 - 30 May - Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Ive got to say after reading what the beelds report is that they saw the elephant charging them and then put the car off in hopes the elephant will leave them alone! REALLY! SERIOUSLY! Switch the car Off what?? If you see an elephant charging, you reverse as fast as what you can and get the hell out of their not switch the engine off and hope it goes away! I just see an elephant flap its ears and my cars already in reverse! Sorry but if that scenario is true what the beeld posted I would say that was a not so bright move on their part, my opinion

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:57 am 

It probably wasn't the brightest of moves admittedly but who of us ever acts calmly in an unfamiliar, stressful situation?

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am 

maybe not a bright move but if they had switched off their engine everybody should stop speculating if they had been speeding and maybe hit the elephant

and by the way: gates may in theory open at 6 am - during my recent stay in one of the southern camps gates were opened at 5:50 twice and at 5:45 once

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2013)
I don`t think Ellies like Hyundai.. Previous incident was a Hyundai Atos :shock:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
People will never admit. "Well we were speeding and came around a corner and saw this elephant on the road. Damn, the brakes are excellent on this car and we stopped a way off. The ele didn't like it and charged, so we switched the engine off."
More like "We were tootling along and saw this ele on the road waaaaay off. Suddenly it charged and so we switched off the engine in peace".

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:14 am 

:hmz: Tend to agree with PeterPM. Or maybe they've mistaken a train for an elephant. Only problem is there is no trains in Kruger, except for the one standing still in Skukuza. I seriously doubt if all that damage was caused by the elephant. That car is a write-of from front to back and from side to side. A bumper and bonnet doesn't fall of from being rolled over once or twice. Either Hyundai makes seriously flimsy cars or there were some speed involved. My car looked like that after a failed hijacking attempt in which I rolled my car about 16 times on the highway. :sniper: So an elephant totally wrecking a car from top to bottom while the car is in no motion and this is the result, I seriously doubt that. Maybe the elephants in Kruger are on steroids these days.... :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Call in the footprint & trunkprint squad to find the culprit. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 am 

Im not worried about the car, what about the poor traumatized elephant? :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Seriously though, there are gits who 'play the fool' with elephants and when they are wound up, they drive off. Pity the next car........

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

ice wrote:
and by the way: gates may in theory open at 6 am - during my recent stay in one of the southern camps gates were opened at 5:50 twice and at 5:45 once

You are lucky - in my experience they are more likely to open a couple of minutes late :roll:

I have noticed during our last visit that closing times are getting to be a bit more lenient -once, because of a breeding herd of elephants north of Shingwedzi- we were about 18 minutes late, and the gates were still wide open and not a guard in sight! (saw a porcupine because of being out so late :dance: and it getting dark so quickly, but couldn't stop to take pics because we were envisioning this huge fine :| )

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am 

Dan wrote:
:hmz: Tend to agree with PeterPM. Or maybe they've mistaken a train for an elephant. Only problem is there is no trains in Kruger, except for the one standing still in Skukuza. I seriously doubt if all that damage was caused by the elephant. That car is a write-of from front to back and from side to side. A bumper and bonnet doesn't fall of from being rolled over once or twice. Either Hyundai makes seriously flimsy cars or there were some speed involved. My car looked like that after a failed hijacking attempt in which I rolled my car about 16 times on the highway. :sniper: So an elephant totally wrecking a car from top to bottom while the car is in no motion and this is the result, I seriously doubt that. Maybe the elephants in Kruger are on steroids these days.... :tongue:

I remember before the Skukuza shop was renovated there were some pictures in the knives and jewelry section of cars damaged by elephants. If you startle a bull in must he will smash a car until he believes it to be dead. The elephants in the north are much more aggressive than the ones in the south.

Must be Mopani leaves or something. :tongue:

If the math proves they were speeding then I really hope SANParks will fine them and give the elephant a reward of some kind. Maybe a mudbath in the next drought.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm 

Yo Dr.Phil! :lol:

According to the tourists the car was already dead... :tongue: Know the ellies up north very well, had quite a few run-ins with them over the years, especially on those small and heavily bushed roads around Kanniedood Dam. Not the place to cross an elephant in a bad mood if he suddenly walk out of the bush right in front of your car with a stream of other cars behind you or worse, the dam in one of those little turn-offs. Had more than once suddenly had a much closer relation with the Lord in such moments. (very sudden prayer meeting) Many, many moons ago we saw a grader that was attacked by an ellie mom, and she literally bended the blade as if it was a piece of foil, and it took the rangers hours to convince the poor driver to get out of a thorn tree he decided would be the best place to be until all elephants got extinct. So yes, I know they can do serious damage, but I don't know, I have difficulty swallowing this one. Maybe I'm wrong, will have to wait like BB said, for the trunk, foot and skit marks to be dissected. It's one of those if you get my drift.... :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next