Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Skukuza Golf Club & Restaurant.
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)
As a member I felt that I need to tell you more about our beautifull course:

read here: Skukuza Golf Club

It is a beaut of a 9 hole course with 18 tees in the most exciting environment! Next time you visit please come and have around.

View of the 9th, 18th and clubhouse

One of the std fixture on the course:

Course rules:
Remember to fix pitch marks and replace divots else I won't be able to guarantee that a pride of lions won't take you out on the the 5th. :lol:

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Last edited by wildtuinman on Thu May 12, 2005 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:13 pm 

It is definetly one of my favorite coarses, yes it is not Zimbali or JCC, but the location is absolutely wonderful.
the 9th is a great hole, we will be playing there sometime inApril, probably near the end around 30th.
I love the par four 4th with the slight dog leg right, as well as the hole up at the top of the course where that little hut is.

anyone else played it? what did you think?

Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:54 pm 

bwana wrote:
Sorry but I still cant get my head around playing golf at Kruger! Probably if you can get there often enough then to take a morning off to improve your back swing isn't a big deal, but living so far away doesn't offer us time for such things!

regards
bwana

Edit: May I be perfectly honest here and say that when I heard of the golf course I was a bit disappointed that the Kruger Park had allowed it. I'm sure its good for revenue and for the residents to have some fun, but it to me its too 'towny' like. This is the bush man, not Sun City! No offence to those who enjoy it! :D

bwana, I am sure Danie will correct me if I am wrong...but the golf course has been there for a long time. It has just recently been opened to visitors to the Park - in the 'old' days it was there just for the use of the KNP staff.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:32 pm 

Quote:
More importantly, does it have the 19th hole?

On a Saturday morning the 19th hole starts before the first drive...lol. you can see that the golf course means a lot to these guys.....but I don't want to make assumptions....
Danie do you play golf? Do many of the Rangers?
regards
Pac

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Danie does not play, but many others do.

The special thing about the course is that most animals can come and go on it. A hippo has made the waterhole on the 9th its home. You'll see many impala and warthog around. I have seen what I assumed to be a leopard kill dragmarks just past the 4th green once. :shock:

The nicest being the birds.
For those of you who have not walked in the Kruger: the golf course gives you the chance to walk and see some amazing birds.

The golf course there gives us golfers who loves nature the chance to enjoy both at the same time. Maybe you guys should give it shot. It is quite a different experience!

By playing 9 holes should only take you 1:30 - 2:00 hours. Enough time afterwards to enjoy the Park!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:48 pm 

ya talking about animals on the course do you still have the score card, i remember seeing a pic of a lion kill on the card taken on the course. i think the flat surface and open expanse must help them. always see elephant dung and there are always impala's .... what a great course.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:53 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
I have seen a picture of a cheetah lying next to its freshly killed impala on one of the fairways of Skukuza golf club.

How lucky can one be? Hope I can spot something like that in my lifetime while hacking around on the Skukuza course.

I will never complain about my golf after seeing something like that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:26 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Absolutely fantastic little course, great atmosphere.
Last in February played with my grandfather, had to keep on reminding him where we were and not to just wander into the rough looking for his ball. Kept on forgetting to check the bushes for any predators first. :)
In September I played there with some friends. A herd of elephants came passing through with some little ones. They were a bit difficult, we had to be careful and not get to close.
Wonderful experience

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Johann you would know very well. In the Kruger heat as soon as I hit hamstring hill(on the 3rd) I am a gonner. Having two beers to quench the first is not uncommon on the 3rd tee. That is why I play my best golf on the first two holes, And why I am looking for a hole out on the 2nd.

The most demanding walk however is on the 4th and 6th! Those two holes just kill me. Next time I am taking a cart(enough storage for the 6 pack even). Plus that tree in the fairway of the 6th is a magnet!!

Saw a herd of 5 ele's on the tee on the 5th. Made myself very small behind a tree until a "bloukop koggelmander" made his appearance. If there were any bunkers around I would have made myself a litterbox.

How do you find the greens? I reckon them to be in excellent condition for a course in the Park.

Don't worry I also hit shots from the moffie bof. Just for the fun of it. Next time look for leopard spoor on the walkover from the 9th tee alongside the dam.

Who knows? Maybe I can get a quick 9 in sometime over the weekend, but I doubt that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Loams wrote:
wildtuinman wrote:
How do you find the greens? I reckon them to be in excellent condition for a course in the Park.

This is a difficult question that a lot of golfers asked themselves. My answer is always to keep practising, go for more lessons and practise what the pro tells them to.

:funny:

Finding them is easy enough. Getting of them is a whole different story all together :D
Seriously, I think they are pretty good. Better than quite a few courses I've played in Gauteng.
I always end up taking a cart. Don't like dragging my bag around in Kruger heat. And they're the best carts, I usually end up driving in the Leopard. They all got animal names by the way, just in case you were wondering what the hell I'm talking about.
Breeding herd of ellies could have been messy but luckily everything went ok.
When I was at the nursery in June I noticed that a leopard is seen quite often in that area. Better be more awake next time I go. Just now, I'll have to decide to take on the leopard on the green or the crocs and hippos in the water :pray:

Post subject: fees
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:45 pm 

hey guys thx for all the info:

with me staying so close ive always wanted to go but the moment i enter the park i go full out on the look for some or other predator....... :lol:

but to play the course is my next mission in life

can someone assist as to the fee's for visitors and so on?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:03 pm 

cj001 wrote:
Wildtuinman lets go we can even go play 18!!

Possibly I souldn't be saying this as I know the people involved but it is the cheapest course to be a member of, including your SAGU card and online handicap it is +/- R380-00 a year which is one of the best deals around. How many people can claim to be a member of such a unique club, even if I only get to play it once or twice a year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:32 pm 

cj001 wrote:
hmm that sounds awesome can any person join or is it just for
the park personell??

Anyone can join when the parks stopped subsidizing the club it got into financial difficulties, as we had a long history with the club one of our members put together a proposal for them to increase their membership. You can join online through www.globalhadicaps download the form pay your money and hey presto you're a full member of Skukusa Golf Club with a SAGU hadicap card. So you can claim affiliation discount from all SA golf clubs
(unfortunately I'm not anything to do with Global handicaps I just joined Skukusa through them.) :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/to ... course.php

If this doesn't work, click on the link again, and when it gives you the error, hold down your "Ctrl" button and press the F5 button on your keyboard. That should sort it out. Otherwise lemme know what the error is that you get

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

adriaan wrote:
can anybody please submit that link again i cant seem to open it. Gives me errors the whole time

Should be http://www.globalhandicaps.co.za

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next