Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: SANParks beefs up security at entrance gates into the KN
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm 

Ouch!! Slap in the face of sanparks there. We had such high hopes didn't we. Once maybe, even twice could be excused but going through three different gates without being search tells me no extra security measures are in place :-(

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm 

I should imagine that they are trained in reading visitors demeanor and reaction to questions and from that decide if its necessary to conduct the vehicle search, if or when my vehicle is searched I am going to make its as easy and as pleasant as possible and make sure they know that we appreciate the steps that SanParks is taking to protect the wildlife.
For the millionth time, thank you SanParks :clap:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Shutterbug wrote:
I should imagine that they are trained in reading visitors demeanor and reaction to questions and from that decide if its necessary to conduct the vehicle search, if or when my vehicle is searched I am going to make its as easy and as pleasant as possible and make sure they know that we appreciate the steps that SanParks is taking to protect the wildlife.
For the millionth time, thank you SanParks :clap:

sorry shutter but I disagree with you, if you were dodgy and wanted to gain access and watched how the security behaved example : as you said they are open and friendly and give access and witness that the security then back down and don't do a proper job any dodgy will then see that as a loophole to gain access without being searched properly, If sanparks does this then they should do a proper job of it all around it doesn't matter how nice sweet or forthcoming they are they should be aware of everyone to protect the conservation we so dearly love don't get me wrong I am thankful that Sanparks is doing this and I applaud them for it but they also need to be aware and wary that sometimes the devil can be standing right in front of them and get overlooked due to tardy work.

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 pm 

Hi Sheenaugh-Lee,
It would be great if it was feasible to thoroughly search each and every vehicle entering the park but pretty much impossible to do without causing massive lineups or increasing the staff at the gates, I wish I had the answer but I think short of cutting off the demand for the horns the only choice is to randomly search vehicles that arouse suspicion, something like the TSA, we all think its smoke and mirrors but there is very little altennative. I do also agree with you that the staff have to believe that what they are doing is helping and that they want to make a difference, a half hearted search is good for nothing.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I think that people would be alot more patient at gates if they know that they are doing the searches to protect the rhino sure you might find the odd that would be uptight but their would be that many more who will bear with it and appreciate it no matter how long it takes to get through a gate, I know when I get to the gate of KNP Im dying to get inside but if what they do is to protect what I love then I will patiently wait my turn, I can honestly say that 90% of the time I enter at Phalaborwa gate and going in and out I have always been searched and all permits checked, Orpen gate Ive never been searched, malelane checked a permit, phabeni gate never been searched those are my experiences with the different gates, My thoughts are if all the gates show consistency and they all do the same stuff no one can take a chance anymore.

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 pm 

We left the park this morning to do shopping, the permit was checked but not the car when leaving or re-entering. I know we fit the middle aged, middle class, white tourist profile but it still leaves quite some room for improvement. There was only one staff member working the entrance but it was still very quiet.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

On exiting the Park a few years ago at Paul Kruger gate I was asked what I had in the boot and trailer. I replied that it was only luggage and camping equipment, and his response was that he wanted to see for himself.
So I climbed out the car and opened the boot and trailer without any protest. I was then told that he needs to search the trailer. I told him that he can search with pleasure and stepped back and leaned against the car and told him to go for it. I also told him to make sure that he packs everything back the way he found it otherwise the trailer will not close as it was packed to capacity :twisted:
As I stood there smiling I could see he was pondering the amount of work involved and eventually said, no its fine I can go through.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
At least the intent was there GernD, and somebody with illegal stuff would have probably shown it in his attitude.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thoroughly checking each and every vehicle is definitely not the way to go. That would be like at airports, where enormous resources in time and money are wasted on searching little old grannies in an attempt to create a false sense of security.

There are far more intelligent and productive ways of doing this.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
At least the intent was there GernD, and somebody with illegal stuff would have probably shown it in his attitude.

That is true BB
I have absolutley no objection to being searched, its the extra pt involved that has me saying eish lol