[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Conservation fees
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:50 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
kallis1786 wrote:
Hi Everyone

This seems like a silly question especially because I visit the Park very often and am a wild card member. I have a trip booked for June and will be going for 8 days(7 nights). I am going with a friend who is not a Wild Card member and he was asking if we have to pay our conservation fees per day, or just once of payment when we enter like we pay when we go for a day visit. Hope my question makes sense.

You can include the conservation fees in your online booking/reservation, or pay them when you enter the park.....hope this answers your question :?

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Post subject: Re: Conservation fees
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
The conservation fee is a DAILY charge.

If I am not mistaken, the break even point on the all clusters - any park - is 8 days.

Thanks BB. :thumbs_up:

Really cant wait to be back in the park

Post subject: Conservation Charges
Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:07 am 

Conservation Charges to drop -
Durban - South Africans touring Kruger National Park in open safari vehicles would no longer have to pay the same rate as foreign visitors.

SANParks said all visitors were normally charged the standard rate for foreigners if they visited the park in open safari vehicles on organised tours which mainly cater for the international market.

However, statistics showed that more local visitors were now visiting the park on such tours, and SANParks had decided to allow South Africans to pay a reduced rate for park conservation fees.

As from November 1, conservation fees for Kruger (and open safari vehicle guests) would be R62 for locals, R124 for SADC nationals and R248 for international guests. Children younger than 12 would pay half price. - The Mercury

26/10/14 Tsendze
28/10/14 Letaba
30/10/14 Satara
03/11/14 Maroela
05/11/14 Satara
07/11/14 Berg-en-Dal
10/11/14 BOO HOO TIME - Off Home

Post subject: Re: Conservation Charges
Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm 

Can anyone give me a rational explanation as to why international visitors have to pay approx. 4 times more conservation charges than locals? :wall:

I am getting somewhat tired of being treated as a cash cow merely because we travel in from other countries?
And yes I do have a Wild Card but even then we are charged far more than SA citizens.

The days where South Africa was a cheap holiday are long gone. Much as I love Kruger and would be devastated if I couldnt make my annual trip it, is slowly but surely becoming a luxury item that may have to become a bi-annual treat.

27 - 30 May - Lower Sabie

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:10 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

South African tax money is contributing to the upkeep of our parks and has done so for many years. This is a small way in which South Africans are benefiting from the tax they are paying. South Africans pay the same rates for accommodation as people from all other countries.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:35 am 

Thanks for the heads-up on daily conservation fees. I had originally not quite grasped that this is in addition to our accommodation costs, and this has prompted me to buy a Wild Card which I did last night in advance of our time in Kruger this September. The saving is about R4,000 so well worth it. I might add that we're more than happy to pay a reasonable premium for the privilege, and pleased to contribute to this incredible game reserve in a small way.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:17 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear AndreaB,

To add to what Imberbe has already explained, conservation fees for national parks are determined considering the charges for similar reputable parks across Africa and the world.
We call these the standard conservation fees.
In the case of large parks such as Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo, SANParks rates compare favourably (cheaper) than parks such as Serengeti, Chobe, Masai Mara, Etosha.
As explained by Imberbe SA residents benefit by a ratio of 4:1 reduction, indeed for the reason of them funding the conservation grant that SANParks receives from the Government.
Then there is a further option for the regular and long staying visitors that can benefit from the Wild Card option available.
I hope and trust that this is understandable and supported.
Just a subtle difference - instead of the approach being "non-SA residents paying 4 times more than SA residents", the approach should be "non-SA residents pay comparable (if not favourable) rates (compared to parks across Africa and the world) and SA residents pay reduced fees, as it their taxes (mostly so) that fund conservation in South Africa."

Thank you.

JOEP STEVENS

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

For this overseas guest, the conservation fee cost is the least of my budgetary concerns. :) As long as SANParks doesn't ever make accommodation and activity costs tiered, I'm fine with pitching in.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:43 am 

Have to agree there Stark.

And I may add that the reduction for locals also applies to the other parks that Joep mentioned, so SA is not unique.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am 

Hello Joep, I like your explanation - spot on.