Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pensioners 40% discount not applicable in Skukuza & Leta
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

True, but I suspect this will change as they thrash out their new policy.
There was a delay in announcing it as matters had not been finalized.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Although we qualify for discount, my SO is still working so we can't take advantage of off-season specials!
It's a tough call to retire as there is such a great risk of inflation eroding the pension and with rising costs........! :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:09 pm 

Off-season specials are for short-term planning and will not solve long-term problems.
What's needed is long term planning for those who live far like the overseas guests.
Most people plan their travels a year or longer ahead.
Nobody is ready to jump on an air plane and visit SA on three month's notice.
Also, any change of prices must be communicated yearly in advance, otherwise people cannot budget with certainty and rather go to another country than taking chances with unexpected price rises.

We should remember that we are competing in the world tourism market.
We cannot force people to come and stay in our parks against any price.
Our services and prices must compete favourably with our competitors like Botswana, Kenya and other Africa states, otherwise we will sit with another parastatal that must be bailed out by the taxpayer.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:56 pm 

I am glad you managed to get it all sorted out pietert.
I must admit I never realised or noticed that the 40% applied to all camping in all national parks or to the discount for certain camps in Skukuza. :doh:
I had always assumed that Skukuza and Lower Sabie did not qualify.
We really enjoy the discounts and are very grateful for SANParks for allowing the pensioners this concession. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I would just like to say, that I do think that the discount structure is very nice from SANParks, but I do believe it should be re-looked at.
SANParks have a mission to make the parks economically viable, and also accessible to all South Africans. Thus I do think that discounts should be applied to economic parameters.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm 

I agree with you that the price structure should be looked at again.
I think that a differential price structure based on previous occupation levels should be one leg that this new structure should be based on.

The other leg should be a deep discount during times when the camps are almost empty, like now..
This discounts should be given for people who stay in the park for longer periods.
Even a cut of 50% will be beneficial to the income of the parks if it will raise total occupancy, since an empty bed and empty camp site brings zero income.

That discount should be given to people who stay for longer periods like for two weeks and longer, independent of their age or country where they come from.
This must be a purely business decision.
Thoughts like tax paid and hard work in their lives should not be taken into account, because we want the income from these long stayers to help fight rising fixed costs like salaries, upkeep, etc. and we do not want to disqualify anybody who can contribute.

The electricity which campers use are maybe the only variable cost that is associated with their being in the park.
Whatever they pay more than the variable cost is pure income, so lets estimate what a caravan with aircon and two people's warm shower can cost.
I guess maybe R25 per day, (Maybe we can get a better figure there from someone with more knowledge than I have about electricity usage.)
Also, take into account that only a small percentage of campers have aircons running all day.
Then we will start seeing that the more of these long stayers we have to fill in the midweeks, the more money will be earned from them and the less money will be needed from the visitors that come during high season, so everybody will score on the deal.

AN argument someone used against my plan is that all kinds of trailer trash may then be streaming to the parks, and to counter that, it should be connected to an age of 60.
Maybe that was why it was done in the beginning, we do not know.
I think though, that there are enough rules to enable park management to get rid of those who behave badly, to make that unnecessary.

What do you and the others think?
Let's discuss this objectively, from a business point of view without getting angry, because I tell you it is Friday and there's not even 20% occupation tonight here in Letaba campsite.
We must do something about it, otherwise we can greet the parks as we know them, or tariffs will have to rise very steeply.

Greetings

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:19 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just a few points, and PieterT, I agree on a lot.

1)Longer stay=discount
2)Aircon=Premium for electricity
3)Tents=same price as caravans to keep rubbish out
4)Age=premium for the long showers. :twisted: OK, just kidding. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:15 am 

The more the rates go up, the less the chalets and camping stands will be occupied, especially out of season. This is the period when SANPark's needs to offer discounted accommodation which would increase the occupancy rates in the chalets and camping sites thereby generating revenue.
It does not make business sense to charge exorbitant rates and have a low occupancy rate.
SANParks can now introduce discounted accommodation to people who take up cancelled accommodation due to people forfeiting or cancelling when the full amount is due 2 months before arrival.
It would be much easier for a person to afford discounted accommodation if cancelled accommodation becomes available and the full amount has to be paid in such a short period.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PNF wrote:
Rather dissapointed in the new tariffs for 2013/2014 - looks like this year will be the last year that we visit any of SANParks - difficult to afford these tariffs on a fixed income. It does seem as if SA pensioners are being sidelined.
By the way, has any official comment been made yet regarding a re-look at these tariffs?

where did you read the change in rates?

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:17 am 

I had a look at the Forever Resorts and found some interesting rates. Like Swadini offers a long stay rate of R1530 for 30 days, two persons = R51 per night.

Plettenberg offers a long stay rate of R1620 for 30 days = R54 per day for 2 persons.

Tshipise offers a long-stay rate of R2340 for 30 Days= R78 per day for 2 persons.

If that is what the private sector is doing, why not Sanparks as well?
Obviously it works to target certain groups for empty bed/camp nights.
Make it worthwhile for couples to rent their homes out long term and spend time in your parks/resorts seems to be the message.
For these couples it works because they can get out and about, travel around, see the country and enjoy nature.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:08 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A far as I can determine , pensioner's discounts are still valid at certain times for all of SANPARKS for the whole of 2013 .
Cannot find anything about 2014 yet - anywhere :doh:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:23 pm 

Okie, go to Travel at the top, then tariffs.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The following from the website too :

Quote :

Policy on Concessions for South African Pensioners

Including all Permanent Residents of South Africa - 60 Years and older

SANParks offers discounts on normal tariffs to the above persons provided the reservation is made in the name of the qualifying person. Social pensioners are those receiving old age, family and disability allowances as well as blind persons.

Concessions are not available on Friday and Saturday nights, nor any long weekends (if a weekend is preceded by a public holiday falling on a Thursday or Friday, or followed by a public holiday falling on a Monday or Tuesday it will be recognised as a long weekend and not qualify for discount. This also includes the Sunday of that particular weekend). This applies for all National Parks.

Unquote .

Pensioners discounts are certainly published until 30th November 2013 , and IMHO , at this time no reason to doubt that those discounts will still be available in 2014 too .

Any reason why SANPARKS should change their policy ? Let's not be so negative :naughty:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:18 pm 

okie wrote:
Any reason why SANPARKS should change their policy ? Let's not be so negative :naughty:
Absolutely not, I think the pensioner rates are more than generous and we have always been able to get what we wanted during the times allocated.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Let's hope that it is so - that Pensioners Discounts will still be applicable from 1 November this year.
What is somewhat worrying is that under the heading "Pensioners Discounts" , although the criteria for receiving a discount are published (Thanks for repeating them here, Okie!), there is no specific mention of them carrying through beyond end October 2013.
Normally the Pensioners Discounts for the next year are available on the website from the previous November onwards.
The examples of tariffs quoted by Pietert are not isolated - local caravan/camping parks around here offer midweek (Sunday night to Friday morning) off season rates (electricity included) from R400 - R600 that equals R80 - R120 a night for 2 people.
A large non-SANParks park to the South-west of us near Rustenburg currently has a pensioners rate of R120 a night including electricity from Sunday night to Friday morning outside of school holidays.
Therefore, it would not make sense for SANParks to withdraw the Pensioners discount as people (including us) will investigate and book at other alternatives .