Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Pensioners 40% discount.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:28 pm 

I made a booking today here in Skukuza for one night (tonight) in Skukuza and three nights in Letaba.
The amount they charged was R808.00, which is the full amount without the discount.
I told them we are over sixty and verified the fact.
In spite of us getting the 40% discount at all previous occasions at other camps, they said tersely "Ït is not available, we do not participate in this".
It seems therefore that the 40% has been discontinued?
I look everywhere on the site and cannot find any notice about such a cancellation.
Does anybody have more information?

I cannot believe they will change this without any notice.

Post subject: Re: Pensioners 40% discount not applicable in Skukuza & Leta
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Pietert, the 40% discount would be for Wednesday and Thursday night. Friday and Saturday you get no discount. You can check the Tariffs under the Travel heading. What accommodation have you booked ?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Here is a link for the Policy on Concessions for South African Pensioners
Including all Permanent Residents of South Africa - 60 Years and older

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am always quite sad to read that the discount is only applicable to RSA citizens and residents. Other countries in the world honour pensioners who are visitors to their countries.

Perhaps SANPARKS can be forward thinkers and grant some discount to so many overseas visitors that continue to grace our shores.

What a break through that would be! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:15 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

SANParks provide discount to pensioners but it is made available in camps and at times where it is not peak occupancy.

From a business point of view it does not make sense to provide discount where you are already going to have high occupancy. SANParks needs to run a business to survive and ensure that there is money available to keep the parks running. As such all accommodation are actively managed to return the best yield.

Though you as pensioner may not be able to get the discount you want in Skukuza at the time you want to, you will be able to get it in another camp with lower occupancy levels and at times when it is not peak season. So by adapting a bit you will be able to enjoy a special visit at a special price. What a privilege! :thumbs_up:

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm 

Any official response to the OP’s question yet? I am planning a trip for the 2nd half of February and any changes to the official terms and conditions as linked by Dotty will make a material difference to the accommodation cost. :(

Based on the information provided pietert made a booking of a camping site for Wednesday 23 January 2013 at Skukuza and a camping site for the following 3 nights at Letaba. In terms of the official policy discount of R80/night should have been given for the Wednesday and the Thursday night which apparently was refused by Skukuza reception. :hmz:

Although Sanparks reserve the right to alter their conditions without prior notice it would be unreasonable for them to do so without at least providing some official notification of this on their website. Like the OP I can also find no such information anywhere.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 am 

I can quite see why the KNP pensioners concession might have been withdrawn at the moment. Plenty of overflow from the closed camps and a general wish to minimise pressure on facilities.

That said, it does seem a poorly explained Policy. Surely the Policy is to encourage early booking in low occupancy times. Not really very clever giving a discount to people already in the park (bit like walk-ups to Hotels).

And on the foreign over 60s thing. Just doesn't make sense to put-off tourists from the quiet seasons. Surely an over 60s couple are an over 60s couple, regardless of Passport? They still get stung an outrageous premium for the Park Fees. Would be nice to at least have one of these things reduced to attract us to stay longer in the quiet times, or make a special extra trip. 40% off is a huge sum over 10 days.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 am 

To report back, I phoned reservations at head office and they told me to tell the staff at Skukuza to phone them.
The very efficient and friendly manageress phoned and were informed that the camping discounts apply to all Sanparks parks and all camps without any exception.
Thereafter they gave me the credit for the one night at Skukuza and told me to ask for the credit at Letaba, which was given at arrival at Letaba.

Cherries, I totally agree with you.
During my recent tours through the country's parks, I found many overseas visitors make a yearly visit to the SA parks, with Kruger and Kgalagadi the most popular parks.
In fact, during low season and midweeks, about half the visitors are from overseas.
The other large group is the over 60's from SA.
Strangely, one do not find many over 60's from overseas, so that will definitely be a good market segment to stimulate into visiting the SA parks.

If one think about it, if by giving the same privileges to overseas people of over 60, we can get them to come and visit SA's parks for longer periods, which may just make a big difference to the low occupation figures of the midweeks, when all this capacity is standing idle.
Pensioners are the largest market segment to concentrate on if you want to fill empty beds during off-peak times, which makes the rule that only SA Citizens may benefit from the discounts totally illogical.

Imberbe at the moment, Skukuza as a whole is virtually empty.
Lots of Jeep Jockeys from outside to the restaurant and shop, but almost all bungalows empty and the camp sites virtually empty.
Satara on the way here, was also virtually empty, with lots of bungalows and camp sites empty.

As I am sitting here in Letaba campsite, the huts across the streets are quite well utilized because of the Sasol Birders having a get-together now.
The campsite itself is virtually empty, with a few campers next to the fence.

I am sincerely hoping Sanparks will extend the over 60's program to overseas visitors as well because I hate to see the parks and the wonderful facilities standing empty and money wasted.
People must keep in mind that an empty bed is an opportunity gone forever.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am 

Thanks for the feedback pietert – glad to hear that it was only a case of insufficient training of the Skukuza staff.

In my opinion an exclusive discount targeted only at pensioners or the over 60 does not really make sense. If you are trying to promote occupancy in the quiet times why not extend the discount program to everyone.
I might be misinformed but if I remember correctly I was told by Sanparks reservations a while back that a change to the whole tariff structure was being planned for 2013 to allow for low season, high season and peak season tariffs – hopefully the low or out-of-season tariffs will effectively pass on the discount to everyone.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If as a South African pensioner, I qualify for 40% discount on accommodation in the U.K., anywhere in Europe or even the U.S.A., please help me to find it! :doh:
I think the discount in Sanparks is to help those who have paid their taxes for 40 years and now live on a fixed income. :?
Remember South Africa has inflation which soon makes cottages or huts too expensive (the cost increases at 10 to 15% annually) thus camping becomes very attractive. :thumbs_up:
It is possible with the new tariffs based on occupancy, the pensioner discount may fall away or at least become less important as everyone will be able to benefit from low season rates. :hmz:
Over 60's, overseas visitors, students , families with children, everyone , will soon be paying seasonal rates!
:roll: :pray: :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 am 

Hi, Mike and Kite. I am glad to hear about the seasonal price structure that will be implemented. I hope it will be very soon. Does anyone know where we can read more about this?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Right at the top of that table it does say "All National Parks :- 40% discount on camping!"
The news of rates is in the Media Release on 13 December headed " Conservation Efforts Impact On Rates "
It comes into force on 1 November 2013. :rtm: :think:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 am 

:( I have been going to KNP since childhood and as a non pensioner, at last i am 60 and qualify for discount. If only we can use our discount once before it is taken away that would be a big bonus. :wink: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tarrifs for 2013/2014 are available in the drop down list under Travel. it shows the different seasons and the varied prices for each camp.

Ast binman bin mam?
Lancashire dialect

Ready for the next Cricket Weekend!

New Year trip 2014-2015 booked.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am a bit befuddled by the new price structure :? There is only a very negligible difference between the different season prices and in many cases, no difference at all?