Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sizes of home ranges/ territories of cats and dogs in KNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 pm 

Hi All

I have always wondered; how big are the average home ranges of lion/ cheetah and wild dog in KNP? I would imagine a variety of factors influence this year on year (flooding, prey availability etc.) For example on the S25 which is quite a long road right from Malelane area to croc bridge; it is said to cover the territories of numerous lion prides and at least 2 wild dog packs. I have heard of a "Lukimbi pride" and various prides around biyamiti etc. That would imply quite a small territory.

The dogs are particluarly interesting in that they travel so far. I was in KNP over December and heard of wild dog sightings on each end of the S25 and couldnt help but wonder if they were 2 separate packs, or perhaps the croc bridge pack or malelane pack were moving around alot, perhaps even into other pack's ranges. I would imagine this wasnt the case as food was a plenty, so the need to risk conflict in foreign ranges would be low.

Any info on the different packs and prides in the biyamiti/ croc bridge/ malelane areas would be great.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sizes of home ranges/ territories of cats and dogs in KN
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Yeah, there are various and interesting factors which influence their territories. Cheetah and wilddogs tend to have larger territories.

Wild dogs move around a lot, they never seem to stand still, this may be so they arent found by any of the bigger predators who will kill them given the chance to remove competition.

It will be hard for us to say, we dont know the prides all that well and its a big area to cover. Maybe someone from within sanparks or one of the researchers can say more.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

Very interesting question, I am sure many people have been scratching their heads wondering about the same thing.

Competition, seasons, availability of prey, the size of the pride, herbited and possible the hunting experience of the pride do count.
if you look at the tree climbing pride that is recently operating on the side of croc-bridge, H4-2 towards the S28(10lions+few cubs) they are making kills after kill, so surely they wont move much from the area since its a successful hunting ground.
but I'm sure other prides are desperately in need for a better hunting field, so such pride will move a bit of a distance to keep food on the table lol.

keep such topics coming, surely one can learn a lot from general opinions.

I support anti-poaching 101%

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:13 pm 

Hi
Go read the book "Lion" by Butch Smuts, it explains all about lion populations in the park as well as other predators. My best read so far. It might be a but difficult to find but it is well worth it.
Cheers
Michael