Skip to Content

Eyes and Ears against Rhino Poaching

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
AdrianFW

Eyes and Ears against Rhino Poaching

Unread postby AdrianFW » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:24 pm

As some of you know I’m preparing to visit Kruger – I leave the UK two weeks tonight!

As part of my preparation I’ve tried to establish what I should do if, while in the park or indeed outside, I see or hear anything suspicious that leads me to think I am in the vicinity of rhino poaching, poachers or I just feel that something isn’t quite right.

I’m sorry to say I haven’t found anything. There is the Unite Against Poaching link on the SANParks home page but that doesn’t give instructions or phone numbers to call**. Searching for ‘rhino poaching’ on the home page doesn’t return anything. A search of the forum doesn’t return anything on the first page of results and there are no sticky threads I can find. There is one sticky about posting rhino locations but not the information I am looking for.

So my question is “What should I do?” What I would like to have is clear information easily available. An information sheet - a prepared page of instructions and phone numbers I could print and have with me in the car. If it was me I would actually prepare this information sheet in different sizes – people could then print out the information in a size that suits them – maybe a business card size, A4, poster size. I’d be happy to print two A4 pages and stick them to the inside of the rear windows of my car - it could prompt somebody else who maybe saw something suspicious to act too.

I’ll be in the park for a week and I will be an extra pair of eyes and ears. Any information appreciated. If it helps in just a tiny, tiny way it would be useful.

Thanks,
Adrian

** Clicking through the Unite Against Poaching website http://www.uniteagainstpoaching.co.za/ gives the 0800 205 005 number but it isn’t very prominently displayed and I’m not sure if it is reachable from a UK phone.
Kruger 2013

18 Nov - BnD
19 Nov - Satara
20 to 23 Nov - Sweni Trail
23 to 24 Nov - Balule
25 to 26 Nov - Letaba
27 to 28 Nov - Satara
29 to 30 Nov - Skukuza
1 to 2 Dec - Pretoriuskop

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Eyes and Ears against Rhino Poaching

Unread postby Imberbe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 pm

That's right, in fact that emergency # can be used for anything from folks not obeying the rules and regulations to car break downs or even if you see something a bit suspicious.
Wishing you a wonderful trip Adrian and I sincerely hope you do not need to use the number. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

AdrianFW

Unread postby AdrianFW » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Saved in my UK phone as 00 27 13 735 4325! Thank-you.
Kruger 2013

18 Nov - BnD
19 Nov - Satara
20 to 23 Nov - Sweni Trail
23 to 24 Nov - Balule
25 to 26 Nov - Letaba
27 to 28 Nov - Satara
29 to 30 Nov - Skukuza
1 to 2 Dec - Pretoriuskop

Kicker Cat

Unread postby Kicker Cat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:31 pm

There is also important information and telephone numbers on the Document you will get when you enter the park - Conditions of Entry

This document has the codes of conduct - gives the details for the Doctor at Skukuza and contact details of the various camps - that should be more than you will need.

WRT Rhino poaching - it is not very likely that you will encounter these people and if you do please be careful - clearly they are dangerous and should be avoided. Currently the park is full of police and army anti poaching units.

Enjoy your trip to KNP - and lets hope that the only Rhinos you see are fit and fat.

KR

KC

Return to “Kruger National Park”