Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: First 'serious' trip to Kruger - Help needed please!
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 pm 

Thanks all for your replies. Very helpful.

We are now thinking of stopping in Nelspruit for our grocery shopping.
Thanks for the information related to the road between Musina and Mapungubwe. I will check nearer the time.

Another quick question - are towels provided in the accommodations in Kruger? We are staying at Berg-en-Dal, Satara and Bateleur (all in cottages or bungalows).

Thanks again!

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Yes, and soap for each bed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:21 pm 

Thanks BB for your quick reply.
I promise to write a trip report on return :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kavita, forgot to say don't forget the yellow ribbon on your wing mirror and perhaps meet up with other forumites. :thumbs_up: Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm 

Hi,
As I start preparing for the trip, I have more questions and need help from the experts one more time!

1. I am trying to work out the cash to be carried with us. We prefer to use the debit card but realise that ATMs inside Kruger are not reliable. Is that true?
2. Is it true that only cash is accepted at the petrol stations? Is that true for petrol stations inside as well as outside of Kruger?
3. Is there anywhere I can find information about menus and/or costs for food at the picnic sites? Just a rough idea will do.
4. Do all major shops in Kruger (e.g. at Satara) sell coal and/or wood?
5. Are bread, eggs, and milk reliably available in the park shops?
6, We are planning to stop at Nelspruit for grocery shooping on the way to Kruger. Would you be able to recommend anywhere for a quick, simple lunch near the grocery shopping places? We will have a lot of luggage in the car (6 people's luggage + groceries). Is it safe to leave the car in car parks while we shop and while having lunch? What is the normal protocol?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi kavita

1. Always make sure you have cash on you as yes the atm's aren't reliable
2. Some camps take cards but only I Believe credit cards if I can remember correctly, most garages outside of kruger take cards debit and credit
3. Not sure
4. YES
5. YES
6. I would go to the riverside mall where their is safe underground parking and great places to eat try and shopping stores for your grocery needs get a blanket to cover the valuables in the car don't leave any IT's, Passports, Money or anything that you really don't want stolen on you that's just an extra precaution rather be safe than sorry also if you wish to ask anyone questions while their ask people who work inside stores rather than the odd walking around in the mall

hope that helps have a great trip :)

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 am 

There are full ATMs at Skukuza and Letaba camps. The others are mini-ATMs where you get cash from the till. There is a limit (not very much) on how much you can withdraw and you MUST check that the till has the cash before you start the transaction. Debit and credit cards are accepted in the shops, cafes and restaurants but when coming from overseas check with your bank - each transaction may carry a foreign exchange transaction fee as well as a non-competitive exchange rate and the charges can mount up.

Petrol stations in Kruger DO NOT accept debit or credit cards - cash only for overseas visitors. Outside the park, although petrol stations may legally accept credit and debit cards, they are not obliged to do so. Check before you fill up, some don't accept foreign cards.

There is a menu around here somewhere, I'll see if I can find it later.

Shops are well stocked on the basics but the shops in the north tend to run out of the more popular items quickly.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
1. If you have a credit card (Mastercard or Visa) you can use it just about for anything except petrol.
2. I pay via cash or 'garage' card.
3. Don't think so, but I found them to be reasonable. At Afsaal, Nkuhlu and Tshokwane one can (when not devastated by flooding) buy sandwiches and other snacks (I saw an oriental gentleman with a huge plate of chips at 7h30 in the morning) at reasonable prices. The picnic sites are independently outsourced so prices and stock could vary from one to the other.
4 & 5. yes as S-L has replied.
6. Have lunch then shop. Riverside Mall is on the road to White River (maybe signposted as Witrivier) from Nelspruit. I have no idea where the 'new' bypass comes out. Keep your money & passports on your person, but not ostentatiously. Otherwise for lunch there is Hill's stopover about 20 km before Nelspruit. It is filling station with eateries where you could watch your vehicle while eating.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
6. Have lunch then shop. Riverside Mall is on the road to White River (maybe signposted as Witrivier) from Nelspruit. I have no idea where the 'new' bypass comes out. Keep your money & passports on your person, but not ostentatiously. Otherwise for lunch there is Hill's stopover about 20 km before Nelspruit. It is filling station with eateries where you could watch your vehicle while eating.

Do you means Hall's BB? That is a good call (we often breakfast the Wimpy there, and sit so we can watch our car), but then DO NOT take the "northern bypass" or you will miss Halls. Otherwise, to get to the Riverside Mall, take the exit onto the R37 to Nelspruit/White River, and turn left onto the R40 (towards White River). The mall should be on your right.

Ok, edit the above. I guess you will be entering at Malelane? If you then want to shop in Nelspruit, do not take the northern bypass, have lunch at Halls and then shop at the Spar in Nelspruit. There is ample security in the parking lot, and we have never had any problems there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:35 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks for the precise correction Albert, :thumbs_up: it is time I went again, the memory is fading.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:44 pm 

Hi Kativa,

just send you a PM.

Have a safe trip!!
and Anjoy Kruger!!!!

Ruud

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:31 am 

Hi all,

We came back from our SA trip last week. We had been to Kruger once before, a long time ago. This trip was with 2 sets of parents.
Thanks a lot to all you guys for your help, advise and patience while answering my long list of questions. All the logistics of the trip worked perfectly fine. We had forgotten how well stocked SA supermarkets are. Found everything we needed in Nelspruit mall and then shops along the way in Kruger, as and when needed.
We stayed at Berg-en Dal (1 night), Satara (2 nights) and Bateleur (2 nights). Entered the park from Malelane gate and left via Punda Maria.

Some highlights included -
- 10 different rhino. Out of that a group of 4, less than a few feet away, next to the road
- a large herd of buffalo, must be over a 1000! It wool them over half an hour to cross the road
- a hyena clan of 9 individuals on the road, with no other car around
- a black mamba, in the striking pose, next to the driver's window!!
- a huge ellie walking in the middle of a gravel road for over 2km

There was hardly any game around Bateleur and north. We loved Bateleur camp but were very disappointed with the lack of game, possibly due to very think bush around there. The devastation around Shingwedzi was shocking.

We spent 1 night in Mapungubwe, in Limpopo Forest Tented camp. The flood devastation was visible there as well. The accommodation was fantastic. It was very inconvenient to have to drive to the main reception for check-in, then turn around and then enter the entrance for the tented camp.

We ended up getting a VW combi from the car rental and it worked out fine, even with 6 people and the luggage.

We really enjoyed the trip overall. Parents enjoyed it even more, their first time in Africa. After being on comparatively expensive, lodge-based safaris for the last 7-8 years, it was refreshing to see that it is possible to have a nice, relaxing holiday in Africa without breaking the bank every time. Kruger can't be beaten for the variety of game. We immensely enjoyed the freedom of self-drive, and enjoyed braais and skottels everyday :)

We have now booked a week in KTP for December and I am sure I will be back with more questions for KTP soon. I know there are a lot of experts here!

Thanks a lot guys for all your help.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:49 am 

I meant to add - we thought some of the accommodation was in desperate need of renovation, especially considering the price increases for 2014. Satara was most disappointing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
kavita wrote:
I meant to add - we thought some of the accommodation was in desperate need of renovation, especially considering the price increases for 2014. Satara was most disappointing.

Glad we were able to be of assistance and that all y'all had a great time.

Now for Kgalagadi.....? :whistle: