Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Windows Up?.....or Windows Down?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Our windows are always down as well.
We think it just gives us that extra bush feeling.
We only close the windows fully if there are baboons and vervets around, and on 1 occasion for a hyena that circled our car and on one point even jumped up on the bonnet :shock:
If cats get to close we close it about half way, but still far enough to get the pics in.
We are from northern Europe so the cold isn't any problem for us and if it's very hot we just make the most of that opportunity :tongue:

Post subject: Re: Predators/ open or closed windows?
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:01 am 

Windows are always down.... even with the aircon switched on.. With Baboons, monkeys and whenever we stop and get out of the car all windows are fully closed, being in camp, a picnic spot or a lookout.

At large predators close to the car the windows are almost fully closed if not fully closed. It depends on the behaviour of the animal. Had lions at Nwanetzi growl at me with closed windows. :twisted:

Some lions in the park have an evil look in their eyes (Much like Scar from "The Lion King"). I'm convinced those lions are man-eaters as they show complete disrespect towards people and look at a person without fear..... Almost like the people in the car is can of meat and they trying to figure out how to open it..... So the way a lion looks at me determines if the windows are up or down. :thumbs_up:

Some of the rangers believe that lions are "Gentlemen" They will let you know if they want to eat you... :tongue: Its just a question of how they let you know. I think its in their eyes :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I agree with Dr Phil! Not only can you see it in their eyes, you get "that" feeling as well! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:11 pm 

I normally drive around with the window wide open but will raise it when passing Baboons. How many people have been ambushed by the Vervets at the view point near the turn off for the Olifants camp?

I can't think that lions or leopards don't see you inside the car, but my experience is that providing you are within the confines of a vehicle and present no threat they will ignore you. I have been many times on open trucks and they just walk past and take no notice. Step outside the vehicle and that will be another story, but how many times do we see park visitors doing that.

A few years ago my wife and I came across a lionesse and two cubs on the main road near Crocodile Bridge. The lionesse was laid in the middle of the road feeding the cubs, whch were a few months old. Further down the road some Impala crossed over and went into the bush on our right hand side. The lionesse immediately jumped up and went into the bush with the cubs following. I drove to where the lionesse disappeared, stopped about a metre from the edge of the road and raised my camera thinking I may get some action shots. I didn't realise that the lionesse had dropped into a ditch at the side of the road and was hidden by the long grass. Suddenly the lens misted over and a blurred vision came in front of my lens. I moved the camera and the lionesse was stood at the side of the car with it's face lierally about half a metre in front of my lens. I can tell you my heart beat went up and I started to slowly wind up the window. but the lionesse just looked at me, then turned and walked away with the cubs trotting behind. BondM UK

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:24 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Bondm, that is indeed a heart-stopping moment! :big_eyes: Sounds like she was interested only in making sure you were no threat to her cub.

Dr Phil, I agree wholeheartedly with you; the eyes give away a lion's intentions more than most things.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
I agree with most people - windows are usually down, except for vervets, baboons, behind a vehicle on a dusty road, etc.

Here are 2 shots that were taken in Kgalagadi, 2007, just north of Marie se Draii. In the first one, the window is UP. He was just a little too close and I didn't like the look in his eyes. The shot is not zoomed in, nor altered in any way. The bar in the bottom left corner is the passenger's door frame.

He backed off a bit, and I felt comfortable enough to lower the window and take the second shot. The camera settings were not changed between shots. (I didn't even think of it at the time :whistle: ).

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am 
If I compare going to the bush now as opposed to twenty years ago, I am convinced that many predators were more respectful and skittish of humans than they now are. On certain roads, they have become "domesticated", to the extent that more and more of curious and dominant behaviour towards humans is taking place. People these days are also much more likely to lean out of vehicles, or demonstrate blatant ignorant/stupid behaviour by climbing out of their cars, at sightings. Also, there are many safari vehicles these days plying the routes, while bush walks and night drives weren't around twenty years ago. I personally have noticed substantially more close encounters between humans and lions, and I also believe that elephant behaviour towards cars has changed quite significantly. What amazes me is that, with all the incidents of humans encroaching within the personal and territorial bounds of dangerous animals, there hasn't been more serious consequences. Let's hope it never happens. :pray:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 am 

OWN people are definitely getting more stupid and blatantly breaking the rules close to dangerous animals. I think most of the people sitting on car windows and hanging out of the car close to dangerous predators have never seen how fast a big lazy lion or leopard can move.... On our recent trip I told a guy sitting on his window at a leopard 15m from the road, that it is only 2 strides for the cat to get to him. The leopard was definitely looking right at him while he was sitting on the window. He got back in the car very quick.

Whenever we are at a sighting of any large predator, we close the windows on the opposite side of the sighting, I don't want any unseen cat or hyena sneaking up on me. And at a breeding herd of elephants I always take a good look around to make sure I don't drive into the herd and maybe separate a calf from its mother...

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:17 am 

For me driving with the window down is a must. You get the atmosphere, smells, sounds and better sightings.

However they are closed for rain as well as for vervets and baboons with their razor sharp teeth and food thieving habits.

I too am upset when I see people hanging their butts as well as the top parts out of car windows.

Once saw a chap get out of his car at a lion sighting because he wanted to tell some of the other vehicles to move on as he wanted to get a better position to also see the lions which were about 10m from the road. He was quite abusive when told that he was endangering himself and others who were butt hanging.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Forumites may have seen this video of a Kruger lion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANHLbaN5_k

If this chappie were around when someone decides to get out of their car. it would be bye! bye! :big_eyes:

Last edited by missings.a.! on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Curiosity almost killed the cameraman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZye09ckAo

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 pm 

missings.a.! wrote:
DrPhil wrote:
Wow Missings.a

The guy showing the photos in the first video is Douw Grobler, He was the head of the veterinary department in Kruger Park. Not sure what is does nowadays.

He would be such a wonderful and interesting man to meet.

I met him when I was still very young the day the 6 young elephants released in the Knysna forests were captured, that was in the early 1990's.

But if you google "Dr Douw Grobler poaching" it seems there are some questions he needs to answer if he wants to remain a free man. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 pm 
That first lion is what we call "bedondered" - crazy! Most unusual aggressive behaviour, although it seems they were in mating, or pre-mating, mode as he was more interested in the female than the human "threat", which would, at least partly, justify the belligerance shown by the lion to the vehicle.

Not sure why the photographer is outside his vehicle, almost daring the lions to check him out. Maybe just to prove a point? Either way, I'm never sure such behaviour is ever wise: you gain a spot of (maybe) admiration on the Net for supposedly being brave, but if it goes wrong, few will remember you for anything other than being incautious and DEAD!

Thanks for posting, Missings. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is interesting that some say there is a look of a lion that says it wants to eat you.

I have certainly noticed in photographs of lion on the forum that some do seem to be interested in the photographer. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
If that lion got to him, would he have been shot for being a man eater? He was giving them warning signs right from the beginning of the video. :evil:
What people will not do for that shot. :wall:

Actually, the guy is a vet and presents television programmes.

As I understand it the lion was already believed to be a man-eater.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next