Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Predators/ open or closed windows?
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
I agree with most people - windows are usually down, except for vervets, baboons, behind a vehicle on a dusty road, etc.

Here are 2 shots that were taken in Kgalagadi, 2007, just north of Marie se Draii. In the first one, the window is UP. He was just a little too close and I didn't like the look in his eyes. The shot is not zoomed in, nor altered in any way. The bar in the bottom left corner is the passenger's door frame.

He backed off a bit, and I felt comfortable enough to lower the window and take the second shot. The camera settings were not changed between shots. (I didn't even think of it at the time :whistle: ).

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
If I compare going to the bush now as opposed to twenty years ago, I am convinced that many predators were more respectful and skittish of humans than they now are. On certain roads, they have become "domesticated", to the extent that more and more of curious and dominant behaviour towards humans is taking place. People these days are also much more likely to lean out of vehicles, or demonstrate blatant ignorant/stupid behaviour by climbing out of their cars, at sightings. Also, there are many safari vehicles these days plying the routes, while bush walks and night drives weren't around twenty years ago. I personally have noticed substantially more close encounters between humans and lions, and I also believe that elephant behaviour towards cars has changed quite significantly. What amazes me is that, with all the incidents of humans encroaching within the personal and territorial bounds of dangerous animals, there hasn't been more serious consequences. Let's hope it never happens. :pray:

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:59 am 

OWN people are definitely getting more stupid and blatantly breaking the rules close to dangerous animals. I think most of the people sitting on car windows and hanging out of the car close to dangerous predators have never seen how fast a big lazy lion or leopard can move.... On our recent trip I told a guy sitting on his window at a leopard 15m from the road, that it is only 2 strides for the cat to get to him. The leopard was definitely looking right at him while he was sitting on the window. He got back in the car very quick.

Whenever we are at a sighting of any large predator, we close the windows on the opposite side of the sighting, I don't want any unseen cat or hyena sneaking up on me. And at a breeding herd of elephants I always take a good look around to make sure I don't drive into the herd and maybe separate a calf from its mother...

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It is interesting that some say there is a look of a lion that says it wants to eat you.

I have certainly noticed in photographs of lion on the forum that some do seem to be interested in the photographer. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

JenB wrote:
If that lion got to him, would he have been shot for being a man eater? He was giving them warning signs right from the beginning of the video. :evil:
What people will not do for that shot. :wall:

Actually, the guy is a vet and presents television programmes.

As I understand it the lion was already believed to be a man-eater.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 am 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Yip, I know about Dr. Grobler. :wink:
More reason not to taunt but rather to educate but that's just my personal opinion. :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:52 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Philip1 wrote:
When at home or work, we are the bosses In nature, all creatures are bosses and we must be the submissive species

I couldn't agree more!!! :clap: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:32 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
:thumbs_up:

Some people forget the National Parks are home to the wildlife.....we are only visitors!! :whistle: