Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger Park During the early 90's
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am not sure when the booking system was changed (maybe late 80s or early 90s), but I remember that for July school holidays you had to send in your booking choice before end July. During August you would get a reply as to whether you got what you asked for, or the best available, or nothing.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:54 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

In December 1934 the Board approved season tickets at the cost of two pounds which entitled the holder, spouse and three friends to free entry, but provided no concession for the use of pontoons or rest camps. This system was later cancelled.

Season tickets were reintroduced in May 1947.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The Radios in camps with the chalk board outside being the ONLY means of communication. Very often we would break the news of the birth of a baby in a family by chalking it on the board or leave a message for someone joining us to please bring Varsity results. If you went on a drive and your family had not yet arraived you could leave a message on the huge chalk boards and it was the first thing everyone checked. Wonderful service in the guesthouses where people like Augustyn at the Fish Eagle treated us to napkins folded a different way every night and we would rush back and share all our sightings with him. At the Struben cottage a few Barberton daisies were artistically arranged in a vase when the drinks table was prepared by the male attendant every evening and we always met up with the same people who started to recognise us - it was just awesome!

6.01.15 Elephant Walk Retreat
7.01.15 to 09.01.15 Satara
09.01.15 - 16.01.15 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Remember the times before mobile phones? How often did we hear on national radio "We are looking for Mr Jo Soap. He is traveling between Pofadder and Putsonderwater in a blue Valiant car. If you see him please tell him to urgently contact Mr Koos van der Merwe at the following number...."

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:57 pm 

Always enjoyed the fires that were kept going at the picnic sites. We just had to take a spadefull of coals and we could start our braai. By the way, downloaded to my kindle, your first book and I am looking forward to starting it on my trip overseas in 4 weeks.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:29 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The facts of the restrictions of time spent in the KNP:

1. The area north of Letaba was closed as from 1 October as the roads were graveled and rains often caused them to be non traversable, as well the threat of Malaria.

2. Restrictions were placed in order for more visitors to be able to visit the KNP, during the winter school holidays a visit was limited to 10 consecutive days and no more than five days in any one camp.

My bit about facilities for other races:

Yes I agree it was wrong and should not have been, then as today the KNP belongs to all South Africans and also to international nature loving visitors, it is one of the last few relatively unspoiled areas in the world.

I can clearly see why the view of those opposing the commercialization of our National parks is misunderstood, opposition to the commercialization has nothing whatsoever to do with racism or any hidden agendas, it has to do with keeping the Parks "simple and wild".

Everyone should please realize that our National Parks are there for the benefit mankind, this does not then mean that it can be overutelized. A line has to be drawn somewhere and according to scientific surveys the Marula Area is already being overutelized.

The 2010/2011 statistics indicate that the bed-nights in the whole of KNP had an occupancy level of 76% the previous year was 81%.

Expansion can not just take place because of the non availability of accommodation during peak periods.

However all the above is off topic and has nothing to do with: Kruger Park During the early 90's.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.