Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger staff travelling after closing time
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is not meant as a criticism of any particular Sanparks member, but the impression it gives is that there is no-one in charge.

Yes, there is management of marketing and that is the main thrust. But no one with overall power that is in charge of an important wilderness and conservation area and is actually managing the KNP for the benefit of KNP and that should be the first consideration.

While it must be necessary for staff to be taken home, surely not right through the night?

Dirty huts, catering companies that could not care less about their staff or what they dish up and people free to drive around all night, (very helpful for poachers).

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:15 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

My take is that generally, big picture, there are good things happening conservation wise in South Africa including of course in KNP. But I am genuinely worried that there are some serious issues creeping in that are not being adequately addressed. Speeding, increased poaching, lack of control of staff movements, unsatisfactory restaurant performance and inconsistent maintenance and cleaning, inconsistent guiding performance, Wildcard debacle, are some of the concerns raised. Some of these issues have been ongoing for a long time. It should go without saying that it requires very firm and decisive leadership from middle management and a commitment from higher management to address these concerns.
We can and should continue to celebrate and share all that is right and working and admirable in the parks but I also think we need to take more seriously the things that aren't working before they really start to have a detrimental effect on visitor numbers and visitor experience.
I don't know how we get this across to management as it seems to have fallen largely on deaf ears or these things (poaching response excepted) would have been rectified.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

threedogs wrote:
My take is that generally, big picture, there are good things happening conservation wise in South Africa including of course in KNP. But I am genuinely worried that there are some serious issues creeping in that are not being adequately addressed. Speeding, increased poaching, lack of control of staff movements, unsatisfactory restaurant performance and inconsistent maintenance and cleaning, inconsistent guiding performance, Wildcard debacle, are some of the concerns raised. Some of these issues have been ongoing for a long time. It should go without saying that it requires very firm and decisive leadership from middle management and a commitment from higher management to address these concerns.
We can and should continue to celebrate and share all that is right and working and admirable in the parks but I also think we need to take more seriously the things that aren't working before they really start to have a detrimental effect on visitor numbers and visitor experience.
I don't know how we get this across to management as it seems to have fallen largely on deaf ears or these things (poaching response excepted) would have been rectified.

Management sees the answer as hotels. :(

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 pm 

Sorry but how would the mangement see Hotels as the answer. I dont think that addresses the problem at all. I also dont think Management would think that. A hotel would not stop driving around at night or restaurants in camps being below standard. I think they are trying to attract more people who want up market service. I am not saying I approve here but I dont think the Hotels are the issue. I think its lack of skills and management not having control. The staff need better training and mentoring. I have found that Management are willing especially if the concerns are addressed when they happen. Satara for example if you speak to Management concerns and problems are immediately addressed. The speeding at night is another issue. The idea of Security discs makes sense many Companies do this. Its easy then (but costly) to have swiping points at camps and gates and camp villages. This would stop people coming and going esp those who shouldnt be there. Just a thought.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 12:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Nicolette wrote:
. I think its lack of skills and management not having control. The staff need better training and mentoring\.

I agree. :thumbs_up:

And a clear framework and set of standards to adhere to and apply consistently and performance targets to be met. Gosh I hate that MBA speak or whatever you call it - but you get my drift! :lol:

Something that springs to mind is the way in which the former manager of Shimuwini (I am not sure of his name - he was there last August) would walk around at 'braai time' and stop and chat briefly to check whether everything for the guest was in order. It is simple but very effective things like this that can get good results. This is when guests can speak up about maintenance issues or other concerns or have questions answered. If these are followed up then the visitor experience is greatly enhanced and small problems can be nipped in the bud.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Either its a Conservation area or its not - frankly whether the driver of the vehicle has a disc or is simply waved through because of the ruling that staff can move freely between Skukuza village and the Paul Kruger Gate - it does not really matter - the point is why are they allowed to do so. Trust me I live on a very busy road and I know the sound of a car travelling at a speed of over 120 (remember that up to that gate is a public road - albeit with game crossing) and then hearing the vehicle gearing down because the gate is closed. You can hear them take off on the other side too.

I agree there are some wonderful people working in Kruger and they should not be maligned but generally speaking I am sorry to say that standards have slipped to an all time low. At a recent wedding we attended the staff who did the "dancing" were so drunk that it was a matter of conjecture as to when they were going to fall over.

We have filled in umpteen report back cards, spoken with camp managers at length and even had the Tourism council visit us when we have been staying in the Park but sadly very little has changed and we are now on repeat visits to the same camps where the problems we brought to their attention are even more advanced than they were when we reported them.

I believe that a dedicated phone call from someone prepared to follow up each and every complaint should be made to anyone who has taken the time and effort to fill in these cards. After all we are the customer and every effort should be made to ensure that we return satisfied again and again!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:36 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Nicolette wrote:
Sorry but how would the mangement see Hotels as the answer. I dont think that addresses the problem at all. I also dont think Management would think that. A hotel would not stop driving around at night or restaurants in camps being below standard. I think they are trying to attract more people who want up market service. I am not saying I approve here but I dont think the Hotels are the issue. I think its lack of skills and management not having control. The staff need better training and mentoring. I have found that Management are willing especially if the concerns are addressed when they happen. Satara for example if you speak to Management concerns and problems are immediately addressed. The speeding at night is another issue. The idea of Security discs makes sense many Companies do this. Its easy then (but costly) to have swiping points at camps and gates and camp villages. This would stop people coming and going esp those who shouldnt be there. Just a thought.

Firstly, the staff at the camps are not management as such. So they can only react to problems and to some extent try to keep up.

Not all decision are complicated. If the actual management of the park, the top tier, are constantly presented with complaints about accommodation broken or unclean, poor quality and service in restaurants, people driving around at night, etc etc.

They they can obviously conclude that demand for higher standards are not being met. A hotel group makes a presentation that they will build hotels that will meet the demands of the mid market, black diamonds and whatever and hotels can seem a good idea.

In reality, what most visitors want, is clean huts, basic but tasty food with a choice and the feeling they are actually staying and sleeping in the African bush.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:04 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I for one don't have a problem with staff that have to drive after gate closing time. If they do exceed the speed limit, then I will have a problem with that but not with asking why they are allowed driving after gate closing time or before gate opening time for that matter. Really, have you all considered the fact that the shops are open an hour after gate closing time, and with the restaurants till much later in the evening? So how on earth are these staff going to get to their homes - on foot in the dark perhaps?? Breaking another rule?? :razz:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:16 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Good points Boorgatspook, we all want the restaurants to be open until 10pm, we want to be able to quickly run into the shop after we return from our afternoon drive just as the gate closes, but we don't want the staff that has to stay and run the shops and restaurants to return home? Sure, have them stay close to camps, but then we have the problem that is being mentioned as well, more people in the villages.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I do not think we are talking about people going home an hour after shops and receptions close we are in fact talking about traffic right through the night at high speeds. Nobody would expect staff to go home to the Skukuza village on foot - it is the traffic through PK Gate right through the night that is an issue. The same thing happens with the staff from the concessions that use both Orpen and Crocodile bridge gate except in this instance they are normally either in taxis or busses. Ask the Talamati staff about the speed that these vehicles travel at - its a talked about fact. The concessions that leave the Park through Crocodile Bridge Gate do so after 10 p.m. at night. This is not considered normal traffic in a game reserve by any stretch of imagination. The traffic on the road at night is a major problem as the officials at the gates have no idea who is gaining access to the Park and who leaves again. When I hear that a rhino has been poached almost on Skukuza's doorstep then I realise that this is all part of the problem. I re-iterate the issue is not staff going from the camp to the village but visitors and staff having access to the village from the gate right through the night!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:53 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
Penny, it is now a few times that you are mentioning that it happens "throughout the night". From this I gather from you that you are not getting any sleep at all? The reason why you sound so convincing ?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:59 pm 

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
zeelie wrote:
.................., and that when they stayed at pretoriuskop they also noted the "afterdark traffic" , as they call it. :hmz:

That might have been us. :)
When we were there, we did try to tiptoe to the gate to not disturb the other visitors tho. :redface: :wink:

Not everyone who looks like staff in private vehicles are staff, they might be Honorary Rangers on duty and all H.R.'s use their own transport. The SANParks, H.R.'s, SAPS and the Army guys patrol the roads all night long to combat poaching.
We did have to make very late night loo stops at Skukuza and we always had to sign in and out and security made very sure that we were authorized to leave camp.

Kruger is awesome in the dead of night. :)

:naughty: Not ever an excuse to speed.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Absolutely we own at Burchells bush lodge which is right at the gate and you cannot help but hear the vehicles. I do not think that any vehicles sign in at the staff village!

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:25 pm 

FAC Member (2012)
I think the origin of this topic went astray ....

zeelie wrote:
Maybe this question was asked before, but why are sanpark personell alowed to travel after gate closing time?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:42 am 

Seems no one knows why :hmz: maybe we should all start doing it until someone can tell us why NOT to do it.