SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kruger Passport...
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:53 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
Do you get an ID book with the passport and voting rights on park issues?! ;)

Now there's a cunning plan... :hmz: :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Wildkyker, after our 3rd trip we decided to get the passports doing our 4th. We were fortunate to do a south to north and back trip in Dec'12.

We got them stamped at all the gates and camps possible, but missed a few like Malelane and Satara although we were there :wall: . We forgot to get one at Nkhulu picnic spot and on our back, we did a special detour to get our stamp.
Afsaal did not give us any problems, but the one challenge we had was Pafuri border post as it was was 24th Dec and lots of people, hence did see my way clear to go in and get a stamp.

Now, it is 4 mths later and our next trip is 8 mths away, some more stamps to collect including those I missed. It is amazing how quickly time goes and you are back in Kruger and then you are sorry not have started on your first visit, especially with little ones to keep for the future. Our little one is 8yrs old and could have been nice to have stamps of all the times and camps & gates visited collected already. It is just a fun thing.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanx Kaapsedraai for you post.

Yes I have also decided to get passports for my family on our next trip wich is in July. I am planning the route so that I could visit as much of the places to get stamped.

I wonder Kaapsedraai, would you be so kind as to list all the places where a stamp is needed to complete a Kruger passport. I looked through one at a shop, but I cant remember. If you could give insight it will help to plan my route. Please :tongue:

Then there is another thing. I will only get to buy the passport once at a camp if I am correct? So I will miss the entrance gate stamp as well as the pic nic site on the first day? Then do you ask for a special stamp and where do you get it? At reception, shop, paypoint? :hmz:

My first born is 3 months old and he will get a good start with his passport.

Thanx again.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm 

Hi Wildkyker,

All the camps are included in the passport and gates plus picnic sites. My son got his passport when we exit the park this year and miss out on some of the camps we stayed at. His passport will expiry in the year he turns 100 so I am sure there is still plenty of time left to complete.

The places to stamp at are:
Afsaal picnic site - stamp at Afsaal
Balule camp - stamp at Olifants shop
Berg-en-dal camp - stamp at Berg-en-dal shop
Crocodile Bridge camp and gate - stamp at Crocodile Bridge camp
Giriyondo border post - stamp at Letaba / Mopani shop
Letaba camp - stamp at Letaba shop
Lower Sabie camp - stamp at Lower Sabie camp
Malelane gate and camp - stamp at Berg-en-dal shop / Afsaal
Maroela and Tamboti - stamp at Orpen camp shop
Mopani camp - stamp at Mopani shop
Nkuhlu picnic site - stamp at Nkuhlu picnic site
Numbi gate - stamp at Pretoriuskop
Olifants camp - stamp at Olifants shop
Orpen gate and camp stamp at Orpen camp shop
Pafuri gate - stamp at ?
Paul Kruger gate - stamp at Skukuza
Phabeni gate - stamp at Skukuza / Pretoriuskop
Phalaborwa gate - stamp at Letaba shop
Pretoriuskop camp - stamp at Pretoriuskop
Punda Maria camp - stamp at Punda Maria camp shop
Punda Maria gate - stamp at Punda Maria camp shop
Satara camp - stamp at Satara
Shingwedzi camp - stamp at Shingwedzi
Skukuza camp - stamp at Skukuza
Tshokwane picnic site - stamp at Tshokwane
Tsendze camp - stamp at Mopani shop

Enjoy collecting those stamps :wink:

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:14 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)
Wildkyker, I managed to locate my passport, still in my camera bag. I guess, it comes with age. :hmz:

PRWIN provided you with the list already. Thank you PRWIN :thumbs_up:

Some suggestions:
- get 2 passports in case the one gets damaged or lost or something, then you have a backup.
- if you enter at Malelane, you can still get a stamp of Malelane gate at Afsaal or Berg 'n Dal. We entered at Phabeni gate and we got a gate stamp at Skukuza (and also Pretoriskop). The same with Kruger gate. Phalaborwa got a shop at the gate.
- I missed out on some camps as I thought I will get it stamped later during the stay there, but then I missed some and needed to be remembered. I missed out on Satara, can you believe it - ai! :wall: . So, try to get the stamp immediately when you book in - where possible, do the stamp thing at the shop immediately as the chances are that you might miss one.
- I tried to get some stamps backdated to the previous visits, but it doesn't not work that way. Firstly, the shops are busy and will hold other visitors up and secondly, some stamps are difficult to roll back the date. So I left it at that.
- Keep the passports always in the same place as you might start looking for them. It might sound stupid, but believe me, when you in Kruger, your mind works differently and with a little one, it all goes for a loop.
- Border posts: I could not get mine at Pafuri border post as there were just too many people, so I left it. Maybe I was there at the wrong time i.e. 24 Dec'12 :hmz: . Just be aware of the situation at these points.
- Remember to take a photo of the little one's with his first passport :cam: :cam: :thumbs_up:

I guess, this is all I could think of at this stage. Hope it helps and agree, the little 'wildkykertjie' is getting a good Kruger start - as PRWIN said: 100 years before expiry, so 97 to go. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:22 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think it is great that so many people are getting enjoyment and creating mementos with their Kruger Passports. Now if only their was a KTP Passport! Or even better - a SANParks passport! Now I am getting carried away. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thank you very much PRWIN and Kaapsedraai for your replies. Now I understand how the passport work. I will now plan my Itenarary according. I however see that it will take a few trips to complete a Kruger passport. But as PRWIN says we will make a couple of trips more before we turn 100.

Lekker tye! :clap: