Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The proof is in the pudding...
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

How many of you have an animal or bird on your list that you have no photographic proof of even though you have witnesses? :lol: We hate those... We have 4.

1. On a normal drive, 4 adults in the vehicle, bright sunshine, no other cars. Mingerhout Loop.
Caracal running across the road and sitting in tall grass for a few seconds.
2. Morning walk, started raining halfway in after heavy showers the previous night (had to throw away
my shoes because I couldn't get the mud out), very bad light, DuQues and me and 2 rangers.
Pel's Fishing Owl
3. Nightdrive from Punda Maria. Good weather, great drive, on our way to camp so the driver wasn't driving that
slow. We saw what I assumed was a Sharpe's Grysbok or such, when the driver slammed on brakes
and reversed but it was gone. He swore it was a Suni.
4. Midnight Drive from Twee Rivieren. Us with 2 other forumites and the ranger. Good weather.
Striped Pole-cat running up a dune.

Post subject: Re: The proof is in the pudding...
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:) May 2001. Pafuri. A Caracal close-up and in full view for plus minus a minute. No :cam:. Nice thread GP :thumbs_up:

:hmz: It is a pity that the brown hyenas seen in Kruger are so quick - too quick for a photo :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:43 am 

One early morning about 3 years ago SO and I were heading south down the S114 on our way out of the park when we came to a downhill/uphill section and a shape "waddled" across the road, We made our way to where the animal had gone into the bush to see and hear a Pangolin. We have it on our list as we both saw it, if only one of us had seen it, the sighting would not count.

Mike Goss

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:53 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We came across a traffic jam last year, and because we are not prepared to fight for a sighting, we did what we usually do............namely to make our way carefully through the jam, and continue on our journey.
We had just about cleared the traffic, when I looked back, only to see a "Blackie" disappearing into the bush!!!! :wall: :wall:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

With the Birds there are quite a few but probably the two most notable ones that I will battle to get a photo of again is Black Naped Tern at Umgeni in the early 90's and Franklins Gull at Centurion that I never took a photo of.

On the animals it is a pangolin seen on a night drive out of Letaba, just before the bridge, an aardvark in the Waterberg and also some bush pig in the same area

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:35 am 

Last year we saw an African Hark Harrier (Gymnogene) dive really close to the road, it pulled out of the dive about 2m from the ground and went to sit on a tree next to the road. We pulled to the side of the road to take pictures. The bird took flight and we got some great take off and flight pictures.

At that point we heard a loud rustling in the grass next to the car. And there, looking straight at us, about 2 meters away, a Honey Badger. He turned and ran away before we could take a pic. That’s 2 Honey Badger sightings in the wild, no pics.

We assume that the Gymnogene and HB went for the same food, and that the Gymnogene saw the HB at the last second and that’s why it pulled out the dive. At the end of the day, we did not get what would have been a great pic of a HB, and still have no HB pics in the wild.

Others we have seen with no pics, Servals and Side Striped Jackal.

Talamati 7 & 8 Sept
Tamboti 9 Sept
Satara 10 & 11 Sept
Pretoriuskop 12 Sept

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:53 am 

SO saw a Porcupine crossing the road in his rear view mirror - River Road from Shingwedzi in Nov 2012. He couldn't work out what it was. Until later in the trip by the across the bridge near Lower Sabie we saw one walking towards the car. Still no photo, I was just too shocked.

Also got a Pels on my non-photo list. Saw one from Pafuri Picnic site Dec 2008 (Frank found him of course) but too far away for a photo.

And the pennant-winged nightjar in full display. Just no light and a very excited birder on the drive who wouldn't keep still.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:07 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Caracul - north of Afsaal early morning, and twice on BnD road at night
Pel's - on Olifants backpack trail
Aardvark - twice on night drives from CB
AWC - night drives from CB and LS, and also near Malelane gate

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am 

A few years back as we turned onto the S39 Timbavati road we rounded a corner and standing in the middle of the road was a Serval, don't think any of us could quite believe our eyes and before we could move it had vanished into the bush and no amount of to-ing and fro-ing could we find it again! :doh:

Kruger - May 24th - June 6th 2014.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In 2010 around Talamati, my brother, his wife and me in the car, slowly driving around, stopped by some Impala that were making that stress calls. We look around to see if we could see what they were stressing about. don't see anything. next second a leopard jump out the tree run across the road and disappears in the long grass, too quick to take a pic. Of course we didn't see any other leopard the rest of the time, and the rest of the family did not believe us nor did they see any leopard.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
All the tall stories about brown hyenas belong in here. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
BB it is very difficult to photograph them (brown hyenas) in Kruger. By the time the camera is ready a person just see the tail and then they are gone.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:33 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a great topic :)

This past trip in for the cricket a narina trogon who was quite happy to be seen, but hid every time a camera appeared. A gorgeous centipede on the cricket pitch, no cameras for umpires apparently. A honey badger that I had to slam on brakes for and swerve because he's decided that he's crossing the road right now and damn the consequences. A purple crested turaco who was too quick for me These near Skukuza.

Last year a big vine snake crossing the road near Satara. The reason I didn't get a photo is that SO is very phobic, and had decided to steer the car on my behalf without my permission, get her legs and most of her body into the cubbyhole and close all windows and this was all at the same time. I stood no chance with my mere camera.

Is the bush calling loudly? Read about the Bush Camps presented by the HR's

May 2014
21-25 Indaba 2014 Skuks

July/August 2014
27-30 Tamboti
30-1 Letaba
1-4 Shingwedzi
4-6 Mopani

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 pm 

I don't bother with photographs because I don't (didn't) have a good camera and I take lousy photographs with any camera that I do have - like a cell phone and the little point and shoot camera that I used to have (a plastic piece of it broke). So I have no photographic evidence of ever having seen anything. Not even impala.

This does not, in my opinion, invalidate my sightings. :) In many ways it makes them more precious, at least to me. I am able to enjoy even those fleeting views or the views in light my camera wouldn't be able to cope with etc.

I have now bought a camera. I am not sure that I will spend most of my time manipulating the camera, although I obviously hope to get some shots. There is a kind of luxurious feel to just being able to observe without any compulsion to record it for posterity, even though one just knows that those photographs will remind one of the pleasure of having seen it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 pm 

I sort of get what you mean Moira, sometimes you can become a slave to a camera. And I have very vivid memories of the scenes I mentioned in my earlier post, where I didn't capture the shots.

However I've also found that since I started started learning how to get the best from my camera I started seeing the things around me differently. I've started really looking at small details and moving around to get a better angle. I've certainly become more observant. Its given me another aspect to trips.