Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Planning trip to KNP June 2015 - comments? opinions?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear friends,
I am now planning my next visit to KNP, along with two friends, and any comments, opinions are welcome. Here are the plans:

Arrive at June 12th - Kruger Mpumalanga, entry through Malelane gate. Accommodation at Berg-en-Dal: 12th-13th

June 12th afternoon - Explore Matjulu Loop

June 13th from 6AM to 3PM - Explore Matjulu Loop, H3 up to S113, then Biyamity Loop (S23), to Gardenia Hide, then back through Crocodile River Road (S25), and Matjulu Loop again.

Then enjoy the camp for 1h and half and Matjulu Loop by the end of the afternoon

(so detailed up to here. No detailed plans ready in the remainder)

Accommodation at Pretoriuskop: June 14th

Basic idea is to go from Berg-En-Dal to Pretoriuskop exploring Gardenia Hide again coming back through Timfeheni Loop (S121) then H3 and Voortrekker Road (H2-2) to Pretoriuskop. If we have time later, Mestel Dam, S3.

Accommodation at Lower Sabie: June 15th

Basic idea is to follow Napi Road (H1-1), then final part of S114, come back to H1-1, H4-1 up to Lower Sabie, passing through Sunset Dam. If we have time, explore south of Lower Sabie.

Accommodation at Satara: June 16th-17th

Basic idea in 16th is to follow S128-S30 back to Skukuza, H12, H1-2, visit Lake Panic, then H4-1, H12, H1-2 to Tshokwane. Then H-13 to Satara, and, if there is time, explore S125 and S126.

In 17th, H6 to N'wanetsi, S41, S90, up to the point where we have time to come back, and then return to Satara through S100. The idea is to do a Sunset Drive in Satara.

Accommodation at Tamboti: June 18th-19th

In 18th - H7 to Tamboti. See hide in Tamboti. Then in the afternoon explore S140, S145, S36, H7

In 19th - H7, S39 to Ratelpan, S40, H7

Accommodation at Olifants: June 20th-21st

In 20th from Tamboti to Olifants through H7, S39, S89, S92. In the end of the afternoon, to N'wamanzi.

In 21st S92, S89, H1-4, H1-5, S94, S46, S93, S44. The idea is to do a Sunset Drive in Olifants.

Accommodation at Bateleur: June 22nd

S44, S93, S46, S94, Letaba, H1-6 to Mopani, H-16 to Bateleur, to explore hide and waterholes in the camp.

Accommodation at Punda Maria: June 23rd-24th

Im 23rd from Bateleur S52 to Shingwedzi, S50 to Kanniedood Dam, then back to H1-7 to Dzundwini, then H13-1 and H13-2 to Punda Maria.

In 24th explore North of Punda Maria to Pafuri. Sunset Drive in Punda Maria.

Accommodation at Shimuwini - June 25th

From Punda Maria H13-2, H13-1, H1-7, S56, H1-7, H1-6, if there is time S144, H1-6, H14 to Shimuwini.

Accommodation at Talamati: June 26th

From Shimuwini, H14 to Masorini, then H9, H1-5, H1-4, S39, H7, S106, S140 to Talamati

In 27th, return flight in the afternoon, so explore S145, S36, H7 up to the time to leave through Orpen.

As I said, comments are quite welcome.

Cheers
Charbel

Post subject: Re: Planning trip to KNP June 2015 - comments? opinions?
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Wow, what an comprehensive itinerary. I must admit to being very :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You are certainly covering all areas very well to appreciate the diversity. June is also a good time of the year.

I am sure that you will get lots of comment. I just think that I would enjoy this very much indeed.

The only thing I would think of changing, is swopping Prerorius Kop for Croc Bridge. The S28, possibly one the the most productive roads in Kruger has not been included. As much as I like Pretorius Kop, it cannot compare to the Croc Bridge area.

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:49 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Meandering Mouse
I aimed really at being comprehensive, since I will love to see KNP from South to North..
Your comment comes to a key point indeed! My doubt is: I simply love Voortrekker Road. So, the doubt is: how to include both Voortrekker Road and the Croc Bridge area. A possibility would be to stay in Croc Bridge rather than Lower Sabie in the fourth day. But then it would be harder to reach Satara in the fifth day coming from Croc Bridge.

But here is something I thought now:
I could go from Berg-En-Dal to Croc Bridge in the third day through this route: S110, S120, H3, H2-2, H1-1, S112, S114, S26, S25. All in all, it would be 163Km (including visiting Transport Dam in H1-1 and Hippo Pool besides Croc Bridge. I usually calculate travel times by considering how much it would take by moving at 40Km/h non-stop and then considering how much time is left for stopping along the way (to see if it is reasonable given how much we do stop). So, to go non-stop 163 Km would take around 4h. If we leave at 6AM, this means that we would have 7h30min. to stop along the way (to arrive at Croc Bridge 5:30PM). So, it is feasible to do so.

Here are two things I'd like to do and we would be losing: (1) to go back to Gardenia Hide in the early morning or late afternoon; (2) to go along S114 north, after Renosterkoppies Dam. But we would gain S28. And as Lower Sabie is close to Croc Bridge, we could use the next day to do Gardenia Hide in the morning, or perhaps in the end of the afternoon after reaching Croc Bridge....

Do you think this alternative plan is really feasible?

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 am 

Dear Charbel,
You sound like you have been to Kruger before, so I would only say that a wilderness trail is a superb way to experience KNP.
It would be difficult to squeeze in to your hectic itiinerary,but would break up all those car based days.
We return to Kruger this July, (26/7/14--19/8/14) and are doing 2 trails,the Sweni and Napi.
Remember that June is the start of the SA school holidays so check the dates of these,and book as soon as you can.
Have a great time"

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:10 am 

Hi charbel

I agree that it is a pity you are only at Lower Sabie one night and will miss the drives between there and Crocodile Bridge. Can you not extend your trip by an extra night, or stay one night at Tamboti and two at LS and do the drive to Croc Bridge in the extra day there.

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I agree with DB about Lower Sabie.

I also enjoy the Voortrekker road, so I understand your choice. Could you perhaps not start at Pretorius Kop and work from there to Berg n Dal? It is so difficult to know what to leave out, as doing everything is an impossibility.

I often enter at Phabeni and pay a quick visit to the Albasini ruins. Albasini was one of the first traders in the area. He came from a Portuguese background and exerted quite an influence in his time.

From the Albasini ruins I drive the S3 to Pretorius Kop. I usually stop at Mestel dam before booking in. If you arrive early enough, there should be enough time to take in Transport dam, the Napi boulders and pop into Shitlehave dam for the setting sun. Shitlehave does have great sunsets.

As much as I like Berg n Dal as a camp, I have always had far more sighting success in the Croc Bridge, Lower Sabie area.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks you all for the good tips. I really think entering through Phabeni can be a good idea, then Pretoriuskop one night, Berg-En-Dal one or two nights, Croc Bridge one night, Lower Sabie one or two nights.... I am in doubt about staying more than one night in Lower Sabie because last time I went to KNP, in 2011, the accommodations there were by far the worst we experienced in the park... Any recommendations on that?

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:08 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Charbel, if you can get into the tented camp, it would be first prize. I would mean that you would need two tents, but watching the Sabie River in the morning and evening is superb. I also like the tented the tented camp because of more privacy.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Meandering Mouse
Another very good tip. Thanks.

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My only comment would be to spend less time checking in to differant camps.
Would spend 3 nights at each camps , but obviously less camps.
More time to relax less time packing and unpacking.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 am 

At Lower Sabie all the perimeter bungalows have been upgraded to a very high standard, so would recommend them if you can't get a safari tent. In fact when we plan our Kruger trips we look for availability of these and then book the whole trip around them.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Dear Saraf,
Thanks for the tip, also very good.
About the trails suggested before, we are planning to cover the park from south to north, and we have only two weeks, so it will not be possible this time. Forestgump, the same explains why we are not staying three days per camp.... But at least with me I am good at planning the luggage so that minimal unpacking is done each night, making it easier to pack the next day... As I travel too much, I got to be good in that....

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:00 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
saraf wrote:
At Lower Sabie all the perimeter bungalows have been upgraded to a very high standard, so would recommend them if you can't get a safari tent. In fact when we plan our Kruger trips we look for availability of these and then book the whole trip around them.

Last time I was in Kruger I spent a long time walking next to the fence at Lower Sabie. I noticed that the bungalows looked very fresh.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi friends
I'd like to ask for those who already visited KNP in June. Is it too crowded in June?
I'd like also to ask you if you know the check-in and check-out times for the camps....

Cheers
Charbel

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

charbel wrote:
Hi friends
I'd like to ask for those who already visited KNP in June. Is it too crowded in June?
I'd like also to ask you if you know the check-in and check-out times for the camps....

Cheers
Charbel

Hi Charbel
Early June should be fine but school holidays starts the end of June every year.
During these times I would stay away from the South. Check in time is at 2pm :twisted: :twisted: and check out at 10 am . I'm not sure of the checkout time as we leave when the gates open

I would stay atleast 2 nights at Lower Sabie and leave Tamboti or 1 night at Berg en Dal out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next