[ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 200 cheetahs, 2000 leopards
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:41 pm 

Never seen a Cheetah in the park, don't believe they exist... :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I have seen Cheetahs in private game reserves but I swear that is only because the rangers knew the specific area those specific Cheetahs liked to lounge! Never seen Leopard in the wild and never been to Kruger - one (hopefully both!) of these things will be rectified in August...

My wife likes Cheetahs ever since our sighting in Karongwe on honeymoon last year, so we will scour the plains around Satara in August. I want to spot Black Rhino and Aardwolf but know I probably won't have luck with those two. A leopard would be amazing though!

I should have added the 120 wild dogs to the title. As they stay in packs it must be even harder to find (albeit easier to spot) them as you could be in KNP I guess, but be 100kms from a wild dog!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Where are you staying in August Graham?
Although Satara is perfect habitat for cheetah, they are seen most regularly, near Lower Sabie :D Although I havn't seen them there! There are plenty photos as evidence!

In terms of satara and cheetah ...
There are two cheetah brothers that are currently hanging out the H1-3 near the Sweni turn off South of Satara! Of coarse it is likely to change before August :? But just keep in contact with me and closer to the time we can see where around satara the cheetah are being seen :D I keep an eye on the Kruger TR's and the blackberry updates with a hawk eye to see where people are seeing cheetah!!

I had a single cheetah on the s100 east of satara, and the Sweni Bros when I was at Satata in December :D But that is the only Kruger trip where I have seen cheetah :shock:

At the moment there are two separate families of cheetah being spotted South of Skukuza! On the S113 and S22.
Another regularly spotted cheetah is in the open grasslands near Afsaal, North of Malalane!

All this will be different by August ... but I always keep track of Cheetah sightings 8)

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Cheetah - wow great info! Am in Olifants BBD2V for a couple of nights then Lower Sabie river tents for a couple.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
Iwhereas Cheetahs are more prevalent in the Satara area and souths are more evenly distributed throughout the park ?
Cheetah are widely distributed, but not evenly. I've seen them from the Crocodile River in the south to the Luvuvhu in the north, and all sorts of places in between.

Graham_5000 wrote:
On an average trip covering most of the park, do people find leopard or cheetah sightings the rarest
Leopards about three times a week on average, cheetah far less often. There are simply far fewer of them in Kruger, which does not offer optimal habitat. The large open areas such as the Shingwedzi flats would be suitable, if it weren't for a lack of prey species. There are no gazelles in Kruger, and impalas prefer mixed habitat. Steenbokkies can feed only so many cheetahs!

Dabchick wrote:
I'd love to see a female with babies!
I’ve seen one with six cubs, but for the life of me I can’t recall exactly where. In the south, that’s for sure, it may have been somewhere near Mantimahle.

kallis1786 wrote:
my reason would be is that Leopards are up in the tree during the day resting whereelse a Cheetah normally hunts during the day and is on the ground which should make Cheetahs more easier to spot.
I disagree. Cheetahs will generally hunt early morning and late afternoon, and rest during the day. Leopards may rest in trees at any time of day or night, but they also can and do rest on the ground. In conservation areas, leopards are certainly not nocturnal, they are active during the day as well. They may even hunt by day, for example when it is very hot a hungry leopard may take advantage of the fact that prey animals are dozing in the shade and less alert than they should be. By predator standards, leopards are pretty bright and they will make the most any situation and take all opportunities that present themselves. I’ve long since lost count of the number of active leopards I’ve seen in daylight, quite a few of those on bloedig warm summer afternoons.

saraf wrote:
just north of Babalala, near the entrance to the Northern Trails 4x4 route.
The southern entrance to the Northern Plains Adventure Trail, if that's what you mean, is nowhere hear Babalala. It is between Hidro and Magamba.
Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:10 pm 

Graham_5000 wrote:
@Cheetah - wow great info! Am in Olifants BBD2V for a couple of nights then Lower Sabie river tents for a couple.

Wow, that is with river sighting. We had a 4 pers. unit, also with river sighting. (Don't forget to buy candle lights to make the experience more romantic)

And my heart is still in South Africa

http://sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=27&t=54927

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:17 pm 

I have also been monitoring cheetah sightings lately.
I saw the Sweni brothers in January as well.

I receive BB updates every morning with the sightings currently in the park and here are the cheetah sightings for the last week :

8/3/12 - H10 - 11km North of Lower Sabie

9/3/12 - S28
9/3/12 - 3 cheetahs between S112 & Stevenson Hamilton Memorial
9/3/12 - On 29 Mlondozi Loop

10/3/12 - H1-1 , 5km west of Transport Dam

11/3/12 - Cheetah with 2 cubs between S112 and Memorial junction(S114 side)

12/3/12 - Cheetah with 2 cubs on a kill on S112 close to memorial

13/3/12 - Mother with cub 2km past S65 towards Phabeni

14/3/12 - On Albasini road 5km from S1 Doispan Road

15/3/12 - 7km from Phabeni Gate on S1 Doispan Road

I personally have seen plenty of cheetahs in the south :

Seen them on S1 Doispan Road
On H1-4 Close to Skukuza
On H1-4 close to Lower Sabie
On the S28
On Salitjie Road S30
On H7 between Orpen and Satara
On H1-3 Sweni Brothers
On the S41 close to Timbavati Picnic Spot in full speed bringing down an impala
On the S7 close to Shabeni Loop - chasing zebra in full speed and just missing
On S1 Albasini road

They are quite a few of them around, you just have to find them.

I have definitely had much more sightings of leopard than cheetah

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:22 pm 

Gosh SAF, looks like you and Cheetahnumber are the folks to hang around if you want to see Cheetah... :clap:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Graham_5000 wrote:
I want to spot Black Rhino and Aardwolf!
Good luck on the aardwolf, sightings seem to be exceptionally rare. The only one I've heard of was spotted on the H1-9, somewhere between the Luvuvhu and Pafuri Gate.

Black Rhino are distributed from one end of the park to the other, but sparsely. They also actively avoid roads at times when there is traffic on them. With one single exception, every single black rhino I've seen in Kruger I've caught by surprise, often when it was crossing a road, or about to do so, usually after having been drinking somewhere.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

SAF wrote:
I receive BB updates every morning with the sightings currently in the park and here are the cheetah sightings for the last week
These sighting are presumably reported by the general public, in which case there will be strong bias towards the southern half of the park, where there are far more visitors than in the north.

I last saw cheetah in January, four males drinking at the Boyela trough.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:50 pm 

johanrebel wrote:
SAF wrote:
I receive BB updates every morning with the sightings currently in the park and here are the cheetah sightings for the last week
These sighting are presumably reported by the general public, in which case there will be strong bias towards the southern half of the park, where there are far more visitors than in the north.

Johan

I just gave a briefing on what sightings I have received via BB and what I have personally seen.

Maybe you can give us some information of sightings in the north where I have not been.

I did not say there are no cheetah sightings in the north, for all I know there could be more cheetahs in the North than the south :)

To see many of my KNP pictures and tales, visit my Facebook page at :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Safraaz- ... 1744385395

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
SAF wrote:
8/3/12 - H10 - 11km North of Lower Sabie

9/3/12 - S28
9/3/12 - 3 cheetahs between S112 & Stevenson Hamilton Memorial
9/3/12 - On 29 Mlondozi Loop

10/3/12 - H1-1 , 5km west of Transport Dam

11/3/12 - Cheetah with 2 cubs between S112 and Memorial junction(S114 side)

12/3/12 - Cheetah with 2 cubs on a kill on S112 close to memorial

13/3/12 - Mother with cub 2km past S65 towards Phabeni

14/3/12 - On Albasini road 5km from S1 Doispan Road

15/3/12 - 7km from Phabeni Gate on S1 Doispan Road

Thanks for going through the effort to retrieve all that :D I was too lazy :lol:
The cheetah with cubs on the S65 has been seen there since February. I went looking for them, but found leopard instead just before the waterhole 5km in :wink:

johanrebel wrote:

Quite right :thumbs_up:
Those four Boyela lot has been spotted on the main road numerous times! Sometimes up by Babalala :D Another Northern hotspot has been Middlevlei waterhole between Letaba and Mopani on the H1-6, as well as cheetah at Mooiplaas :thumbs_up:

And just to back up Johan ... there is even a photo of 9 cheetah together at pafuri :big_eyes:

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:29 pm 

There are definately more leopards than cheetahs in Kruger for the simple reason that the habitat favours them. What the exact numbers are though is anyones guess, especially when it comes to leopards.
This does not however mean that you will see more leopards than cheetah when visiting.
The dense bush and riverine habitat that leopards prefer as ambush hunters often makes them harder to see than cheetahs who prefer open areas to hunt in.
Leopards are also primarily nocturnal whereas a cheetahs movements are mainly restricted to daylight hours in order to aviod confrontation which the other larger predators.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WOW, got to learn a few things today about these beautiful animals

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 am 

[quote="SAF"]I have also been monitoring cheetah sightings lately.
I saw the Sweni brothers in January as well.

I receive BB updates every morning with the sightings currently in the park and here are the cheetah sightings for the last week :

Hello,I'm very intrested to receive also the updates on BB.Where can I get them or what have we to do?
I've seen on more occasions leopards in Kruger buter never cheetah.Most of the time it seems that they are regulary seen in Orpen region.
Many Thanks
Alex (Belgium)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next