Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Cost of accommodation in Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am 

Hi Guys :) in my honest opinion, the prices in Kruger for accomodation are relative, yes they are expensive but yes they are cheap (other parks I ahve been to cost alot more than what Kruger is asking). One other thing (apologies if someone has said thsi already) last time my family and I stayed in Bergendal we stayed ina family cottage thingie (5 people) and it was not badly priced, but! we could go on guided walks and game drives for cheaper, so you do "save" on thoses things, if you were going to do it anyways. Where else can you see three rhinos 10 metres away from you, one being a baby asking his/her mother to suckle...I have to this day, never heard that noice before in the person, and i dont think i would have ever if i didnt stay in bergendal...

You dont just pay for the accomodation, you pay for the sights the smells and the feeling you get that you are staying ina truely wild and amaxing place.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:43 am 

We are SA citizens and are only able to afford camping as other accommodation is just too expensive (3 adults and 1 child). Yes it is great being out in the bush but the price for staying in a safari tent or even a hut without a kitchen/bathroom is much too expensive (my opinion).

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:06 am 

One other thing, marloth park- its a small area which is actually a game farm where you buy land and buy a house. and the accomodation in there is more expensive then in kruger, and you cant even see the big 5. u can hear them more often

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:11 am 

"..only able to afford camping..." : In my opinion this is the wrong reason to be camping in National Parks. Real campers camp because they enjoy relaxing in nature in a different manner than at home. If your focus is on price and not on camping in nature, you will allways long for a more pricey form of accommodation whether it is affordable or not. Camping is not necessarily a cheaper option - capital costs of tents/caravans and camping gear as well as higher fuel consumption should also be taken into account. In my opinion camping is much more superior than other forms of accommodation and the budget pricing thereof by SANParks comes as a bonus.

Len

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:59 pm 

Len we love camping and have been camping for a very long time. What I meant is that accommodation in KNP is just too expensive for the normal man in the street, 4 bed safari tent would cost us nearly R600/night. We have camped all over Kruger and SA and would not swap it for anything else. At least you sleep in your own bed each night.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:20 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Having to travel from America makes our visits to Kruger too infrequent for our liking, but one thing that we do look forward to is being in the bush and getting to see all of the game, smell all the smells and hear the sounds of the bush. After we pay for our long, long, long flight to Jo'Berg and Car rental fees, we find our accomodation prices to be very reasonable.
Camping is not really an option, since we can't carry our camping gear on to the plane. We choose Bungalows with kitchen facilities or Safari Tents (though our favorite one at LS burned down). Even with the cost, and the more expensive International WildCard, we still find coming to Kruger to be an unbeatable value.
Our love of the park brings us back again and again. And the friendships we have made will last a lifetime.

Cant wait to return!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 pm 

I have to agree with most that have been said here. Sanparks has been adjusting their rates the same amount, or slightly above the SA inflation rate, for decades. It is also not a secret that some camps do better than others, and Kruger carries quite a few less successful parks. I am fine with all of it, but have to comment on two things that bothers me:

1. As stated before, most of Kruger's linens and towels are unacceptable. I have been complaining about this for years. Listen, if you want to charge "international rates", then you must comply by similar standards. I have just returned from a visit to a camp north of Letaba, who will remain nameless. The tag on sheet said 2001. Seriously, I paid almost a thousand rand to sleep on an eleven year old sheet? Many towels are so threadbare you can see through them.

2. I find that the international wild card fees are very high, and keep creeping up. I concur that not all international visitors are rich. Think of it this way - the current fee at R1350 odd is similar to two nights in a decent bungalow. So I could have stayed for two extra nights, spending money on things like the shops or game activities. It is even worse that that card can be used for one visit at most (not all of us can stay 6 months at a time, or come twice a year). I agree that conservation fees must be paid, but should an international visitor pay almost 5 times the SA rate?

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:33 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)
Award: Musketeer of the Year, Quiz Whiz of the Year (2012)
Kruger accommodation has been increasing every year at around 10%, with the result that most accommodation increases about 50% in four years. For those of us that have been going to the Park for decades, this seems exorbitant.

However, I must acknowledge that when I look to go for a holiday in most places in South Africa, the cost of accommodation is generally at least as expensive as Kruger's or, in many cases, significantly more. Because we stay in Kruger accommodation that is near the lower end of the spectrum, we can still get a cheaper - and far more exciting - break than most places.

What I have noticed though is, for various reasons that we can only surmise about, many of the older pre-erected tents and huts in Kruger have been neglected of late, with the result that not only do several of them smell dilapidated, but often the tent flaps don't close and the antimalarial netting (which is a vital component for malaria prevention) is very often broken. We've also had lights not working, poor quality braai grills, and even a hut door that refused to close.

I'm appealing to Kruger, and especially to the camp and maintenance managers, to please do routine inspections of the acommodation and ensure that all parts are in working order. Perhaps the cleaning staff also fail to report anything faulty, although I wonder if it is actually their responsibility to do so. However, we always report faulty things and, often, we get resolution from the reception staff in an acceptable time period.

TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I must agree with fdbotha. The prices is okay when compared with other holiday accommodation in the country, but (excluding the ambiance and the fact that the bungalow is situated in the KNP rather than elsewhere), one does not get value for money (especially with regard to linen and other amenities).

Ten years ago, I used to take my own pillow. Because I'm rather finicky about exactly how fluffy my pillow should be ... and KNP's pillows have never been particularly "fluffy". These days, I take along a single sheet, duvet, fleece blanket, pillow, towels, and even a "sticky" bath mat to use in the shower! :evil: Because I can't stand the "see-through" sheets, rough, heavy blankets, and off-white towels. I must admit that the mattresses are good quality. I always sleep very well on them after having replaced the linen with my own...

The ancient 2-plate stoves (that apparently only have two settings: off and very hot - the rest of the numbers on the dial are just for show - there are no difference in how hot the plate gets) can do with replacement. And how about adding (cheap, not state-of-the-art) microwaves to the kitchenettes? I'm seriously considering taking a small microwave oven along next time I'm going to the KNP :roll: - to heat up the Woollies dinners on the days we're not braaiing... :lol:

O yes, another "item" I take along these days just to make life slightly more comfortable, is a small washing line / clothes hanger "thingy" - with just enough space to drape two sets of towels over. Because it seems, especially after the bungalows have been "redone" (upgraded), there may be space for one large or two small towels, but nothing more - unless you start draping the towels over the chairs out on the "stoep". :wall:

KNP remains my favourite place in the world, and I wouldn't mind the accommodation prices, but it would be nice not to have to cart half of my house along when going there... simply because their standards are not high enough, especially when compared to fit the prices charged...

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:03 am 

Re the high cost of the wild card for international visitors, it certainly is hard to fit another visit in during the allowed 12 months. If the time allowed was increased from 12 months to 24 months, it would bring more value. However, hopefully, the cash goes towards improving poaching patrols and animal protection, which is very important to me.
We have always found the bungalow and guest houses excellent, towels and linen good. I just wish Australia had something similar although our animals are not as profilic or visible as those in Kruger.
Kruger is just wonderful!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Value for money is a relative term that differs from person to person. Some people see paying R13 000 per person per night as value whereas some would think it as, at best, a little exorbitant.

I get the feeling we are forgetting what the real value of Kruger, or any SANParks are. The true value of our National Parks is not the accommodation (although it could be argued that these are already good value for money on their own compared to other accommodations available throughout the country), but in the environment where the accommodation is provided. I think almost everyone goes to experience the bush and the wildlife. The cost of the accommodation is worth that alone, in my opinion, you get the accommodations for free. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 am 

Must admit I find Kruger ''value for money'' compared to other hols I've been on. The safari tents are awesome... :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:52 am 

Weltenman wrote:
Value for money is a relative term that differs from person to person.

I am reminded of a situation some years back when a very good friend of mine was informed that the price of beer was to be increased due to an increase in the "sin tax", announced by the minister during his annual budget speech. Now this information was passed along during a braai, while we were consuming said commodity in ample quantities. On hearing the bad news, my friend gave the information due consideration and then pronounced: "Gentlemen, beer remains a bargain at any price!"

This is the way I feel about Kruger.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:lol: :clap: