Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Acc and supermarkets closest to Punda Maria / Pafuri
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 am 

Hi

Am going to Kruger next year up to the north for the very first time and would like some information on places to as close as possible to either Punda or Pafuri prior to going into the park.
Also where to stock up on supplies also.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Acc and supermarkets closest to Punda Maria / Pafuri
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi sucramuk - I hope you have a fantastic trip to the north of KNP. It is truly magical up there - especially if you like birds and trees - some special ones up there.

I don't know Makhado but if there is a shopping mall there, you should be OK. Otherwise, there are several large shopping malls in and on the outskirts of Polokwane. After you leave either of those large towns, the area between them and Pafuri or Punda Maria is extremely rural with very few shops, fuel stations etc. The shops that are there are very basic, so you would be advised to shop in one of the larger towns - Makhado or Polokwane.

As for accommodation outside KNP in the north of Limpopo province, you should Google for bed and breakfast places and see what comes up. There are also some web pages that cover that sort of thing.

You don't say where you are coming from and why you need to shop that close to KNP. When we go to KNP from our home near Johannesburg, we do all the shopping and packing well before we leave and have a fairly straightforward trip to the park. I guess you are maybe coming from overseas and are flying in, so don't have the luxury of car fridges and freezers. Maybe when you do shop you should look at buying a cheap cooler bag and some ice blocks that you can freeze when you are in camp - makes keeping food fresh much easier.

Have a great time planning and have a super trip when you get here.

KTP May 2015

Post subject: Fresh fruit and veg before you enter Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:13 am 

Hey all.

Hope this is not a silly question but was wondering if anyone can confirm whether their is fresh fruit and vegetable stalls next to the road around Acornhoek or on your way towards Orpen Gate. :pray: :pray: Nice fresh fruit in season, rather than the ones that was in a fridge the past month, before being packed out in our local supermarkets. :wall: :wall: If so, please let me know, then one can rather buy there before entering the park.

Merry Christmas everyone, and I'll see everyone in Kruger next week!!! Cant wait! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Fresh fruit and veg before you enter Kruger
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:41 am 

I would buy it in the nearest supermarket before you get to any gate in Kruger. There are some dodgy areas outside some of the gates, so rather be prepared upfront. There is normally some fruit and veg available in the main camps in the South, which is regularly replenished. What you DON'T want to do, is eat in the restaurants :( Just been there. Yuk. Enjoy your trip!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm 

I agree, only stop at recognised and well populated stalls

One recommended Here
and maybe more in that topic as well.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:15 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
DG brookse . I think if you visit KNP after April you are going to be in for pleasant surprise when eating at a camp restuarant . :D
Often the "farm stalls" have their produce sitting in the hot sun or under the shade under stifling conditions . I would preferre to buy food in the supermarkets Though I am sure there are some super farm stalls along the way .

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 pm 

Well I remember we were buying oranges close to entrance at Malelane. Those oranges were much tastier than the oranges we bought at SPAR.

My last webalbum pictures I took during our last visit to Kruger:

http://www.keesennico.nl/kees/zuidafrika2013/album/
Kees

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Depends from which side you are coming. Acronhoek shopping centre is quite safe(follow normal safety as you would at home), or from Hoedspruit the local shops would be fine.

Remember any fruit can be smelt through open car windows by elephants and baboons can see them. So ensure packed far away.

Satara 25 & 26 April 2014
Mopani 27 & 28 April 2014
Punda Maria 29 & 30 April 2014

11-13 May 2014 Kruger lodge

Satara 15-18 June 2014
Lower Sabie 19 - 22 June 2014

Post subject: Butcher please on way to Punda
Unread postPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 pm 

We usually stock up at Pick n Pay Polokwane, I gather there's a new one in Mall of the North which will mean we wont get lost in the one way system in town, as the new mall is on the R81.
But we would love to buy some game. we can very rarely buy it in the Park and anyway for the first week we are in Punda and Sirheni.
Anyone know of a butcher selling game. We drive OT airport to Punda the day we land and just have time to do a one shop stop on our way and a couple of loo/petrol/coffee stops.
We are so limited on time we have our essentials shopping list we keep from one year to the next. (Not so limited that we don't have time to stop at a Spur. Holiday started.)
Thanks for any ideas
August 2014 23 Punda, 26th Sirheni, 30th Satara, 3rdSept Lower Sabie, Rissington Inn 6th

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10