Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
brewersfriend

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread postby brewersfriend » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:49 am

We are flying into Skukuza - are there any supermarkets around or are we stuck with Skukuza camp shop please?
Satara 3-6 Sept 2015
Letaba 7-8 Sept 2015
Oliphants 9-10 Sept 2015
Lower Sabie 11- 15 Sept 2015

I don't know of a wine that doesn't improve with quantity!

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Depending on which camps you are going to be staying at and other than the camp shops, for the south of the park you will need to drive to Hazyview from either Kruger gate or Phabeni, Komatipoort from Croc Bridge, Lower Sabie.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Elsa wrote:Depending on which camps you are going to be staying at and other than the camp shops, for the south of the park you will need to drive to Hazyview from either Kruger gate or Phabeni, Komatipoort from Croc Bridge, Lower Sabie.

Yes as Elsa says, both Hazyview and Komatipoort have supermarkets.

Malelane is a small town, and has a Spar and Pick n Pay. You can access it via Malelane Gate. :thumbs_up:

You will find all these supermarkets have a better choice than the Park shops, and will be considerably cheaper, so if you can exit the park, it would be worth your while. :thumbs_up:

Have an awesome trip!! :dance:
Thinking of Africa every day.

watershed

Unread postby watershed » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:47 pm

We got good advice here before out trip in March. We entered at Malelane and did out shopping at the SuperSpar. Easy to find and has everything one needs. We also drove out of the park to Phalaborwa and shopped at P&P. Very good selection of meat. For someone who doesn't eat red meat (very difficult in SA) good selection of chicken.
24.02.15 - 27.02 Berg-en-Dal
27.02. - 03.03 Skukuza
03.03. - 06.03. Satara
06.03. - 09.03 Letaba
09.03. - 12.03. Shingwedzi
12.03. - 15.03. Olifants
15. 03. - 17.03. Lower Sabie

brewersfriend

Unread postby brewersfriend » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for all your help, we fly into Skukuza then to our first camp which is Satara then Letaba then Oliphants - so I was looking for a supermarket near the airport - where we hire a car.
Satara 3-6 Sept 2015
Letaba 7-8 Sept 2015
Oliphants 9-10 Sept 2015

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Perhaps go with camp food or shop items the first day (either Skukuza or Satara shop) or even camp restaurant. Then next day from Satara plan a trip either to Hoedspruit (via Orpen gate) or to Phalaborwa (going via Letaba and Phalaborwa gate). Either would give you some game viewing while you travel, and both towns will give you wider selection and better prices at the supermarkets.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

brewersfriend

Unread postby brewersfriend » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for that - I had a feeling there were no supermarkets around Skukuza, we arrive at Skukuza airport at about 11.00 from JNB - so a gentle drive up to Orpen pop out the gate get supplies then on up to Satara - late afternoon - sounds good.
Satara 3-6 Sept 2015
Letaba 7-8 Sept 2015
Oliphants 9-10 Sept 2015

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:23 pm

You will find your time too tight to do it that first day. You are looking at minimum 3-4 hours to Satara after landing (allowing for collecting luggage and car paperwork before getting on the road), then another hour minimum to Orpen and still another hour or so into Hoedspruit.

brewersfriend

Unread postby brewersfriend » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:28 pm

Right, drive to Satara on first afternoon shop/self cater or restaurant( any good now?) then drive to Orpen for a shop next day then we are free .
All help - thanks.
Satara 3-6 Sept 2015
Letaba 7-8 Sept 2015
Oliphants 9-10 Sept 2015

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Sounds good! And the Mugg and Bean and Debonairs Pizza at Satara seem OK too.

You may prefer going to Phalaborwa for shopping......you get a much longer drive in the park, and the supermarket is very close to the gate (with a shopping centre not too far away either). But use that first day to get a detailed KNP :evil: map, adjust to driving speeds etc, and then make your plans for the next day.

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:53 pm

I have to agree with EJ - it is a lovely drive from Satara to Phalaborwa and the supermarket is only minutes away from the Gate. The Gate staff are well used to visitors popping out to get some shopping. If you have a coolbox/bag with you, add a bag of ice and that will be enough to get all your perishables back to Satara.

Have a wonderful trip
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=83442Our 2014 Trip Report
... and how I miss being back in the KNP.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:57 pm

But do remember its 123 kms each way to Phalaborwa gate plus your shopping time so will be a full day. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:58 pm

If it was me, I would buy from either the Skukuza or Satara shops for the nights you are at Satara, to cook yourself, or try the Mugg & Bean or Debonnaires at Satara.

Hoedspruit is such a long drive there and back you will lose valuable time that you could be in the park, so I would not do that.

Then when you drive to Letaba...........go along the H9 which can sometimes be a very good road for game, and go out throught the Phalaborwa Gate to the Super Spar (with attached liquor store) which is just 1 km from the gate, or Pick n Pay and Checkers, which are in the town centre, to buy for the rest for your Kruger stay. :thumbs_up:

There are also some good butcheries nearby as well (can look up for you if you need)

Hope you have a wonderful time :thumbs_up:
Thinking of Africa every day.

RondaGreen

Unread postby RondaGreen » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:41 am

I'm spending two nights in Hazyview before heading to Kruger NP for almost two weeks, and afterwards will be driving to Bergville for a conference and then to Durban for a flight back to Jo'burg and back to Australia. From recommendations in this forum, I think I'll stock up, especially non-perishables, in Hazyview before heading into KNP, and just buy fresh things as I need them in the rest camps.
As I'll be alone this time, my husband and son are getting a bit worried about the news we've been hearing in Australia about the recent riots in South Africa, including Durban, targeting foreigners (although I think immigrants more than tourists). I'm avoiding Jo'burg this time by flying straight out to Neilspruit, but will have a long drive alone from Neilspruit to Bergville for a conference afterwards, and will then be driving to the King Shaka Airport at Durban (spending a couple of nights at Kloop Falls along the way). I know all the usual advice of not wearing jewellery, keeping belongings out of sight in the car, keeping doors locked and windows up, being careful of unwanted attention at crossroads, not driving at night etc., and I hve driven from J'burg to KNP and back twice before (accompanied by son one time and husband the other) but is there any other advice you might offer in light of recent events, things to avoid etc.? I had intended spending a night at Umhlanga or in Durban itself but have altered plans because of the riots.
A friend who used to live in South Africa didn't ease my husband's concerns when she told us I should never stop t all during my drives or leave the car, even at shopping centres, but I really think she was paranoid. There was a murder during the daytime at the shopping centre in Hazyview when we were in Skukuza years ago (apparently someone thought he was catching Osama Bin Laden), which put us off going there at the time, but I imagine Hazyview is generally pretty safe in daylight isn't it? I should be able to lock the car, maybe paying someone a few rand to watch it for me while I do my shopping?
I know it's a minority and there's crime in all countries - just need some advice to avoid trouble spots and ease my family's concerns.
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:52 am

Please do not be over-worried. Take sensible precautions......you know there are areas and times you would avoid in your home cities.

I live alone and travel alone virtually all the time. I have to stop at shopping centres etc......Just watch what is going around you, stop near car guards, entrances, etc wherever possible.

Know your route and stick to it. If worried stop at a petrol station where you will be safer and can get advice and directions from staff if need be. Or a police station if you see one..... The petrol stations are easier to find!

Try to travel in daylight too so you can see around you better.

Return to “Kruger National Park”