Skip to Content

Flood : January 2012

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Scipio

Re: Kruger is flooding

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:34 am

Hiya all, what happening. :D :D

Some awesome pics of the water. :thumbs_up: Just natures way of cleaning up a bit, and great that there was no loss of life yet. :thumbs_up: Roads are busted all over, Hoedspruit is wrecked, Phalagat was cut off like a little island but with a bit of a detour you can travel safe, depending where you wanna go. :thumbs_up:

A normal 5 hour trip yesterday took 12 hours. :tongue:

I was in the unlucky situation to be in Moz, right in the middle of the 2000 floods, and guess where I was yesterday.... :slap: But this is not as bad as in 2000 IMHO, the only thing to watch for now is:

7 February in 2000, the floods hit the southern part of Kruger, 9 February it hit Maputo Province and Gaza Province in Moz. very similar to now, only later the parts more north got hit, anout 22-23 February. Even if the rain subsides now, another round will be something I would not like to even think about. Reason is, this time round it was not staggered south first and later North. But all the signs are there. But if you want to see something that most peeps will never see in their life. Go and see, it is really power of nature. :big_eyes: I will be in JHB, twice is enough for me in one lifetime. :lol: :lol:

Now I pray that the peeps in Moz will be safe, and am thinking about the guys already hit.

AjayB
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby AjayB » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:59 am

Im sure Lesego will give us another update when the chance presents itself. Was just hoping for unofficial word in meantime given the pics of Timbivati river (upriver from Tamboti) late yesterday which were insane. That and the fact Blyde Dam was at 118% looks like that sector could have been nailed really badly.

As Scipio said, thoughts must now be with people in Moz where all that water is heading.....Mercifully no fatalities have been reported yet in SA as far as i am aware so very well done to all those pilots and ground staff who evacuated those people :clap: :clap:

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am

Elsa wrote:I have just spoken to Penny and they had driven from Ngwenya to Malelane Gate this morning only to be told the entire park has now been closed for at least 2 days.
She also said that she heard they were evacuating Skukuza!
They had taken a look at the river at CB and reports it is still raging there and apparently they had a report from Nelspruit that there were more water on its way, should reach them at about 2pm.
They are currently driving back to the lodge but are supposed to be heading back to Durban tomorrow roads permitting.

Not to be a doomsday profit, but this sounds like 2000 now. :?

And looking at the forecast on the Low Pressure system. The 100year floodlevel is changing maybe again. But the guys in Kruger are on the ball, so I think apart from some damage it will be cool. :thumbs_up:

Lorrie

Unread postby Lorrie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 am

latest media release from sanparks

Date: 19th January 2012

Following heavy rains encountered in and around the Kruger area, this is an urgent warning. The following areas have been affected:

Following heavy rains encountered in and around the Kruger area. The following areas have been affected:

Camps not accessible

•Skukuza (only accessible from Satara)
•Lower Sabie (only accessible from Skukuza)
•Crocodile Bridge (only accessible from Lower Sabie)
•Olifants (only accessible from Letaba)
•Satara (only accessible from Orpen & Skukuza)
•Biyamiti
•Talamati
•Balule
•Shimuweni
•Sirheni
•Imbali Concession Lodge
•Tamboti
•Tshokwane picnic site
Gates Closed:

•Phabeni gate
•Paul Kruger gate
•Crocodile Bridge gate
•Giriyondo Border gate
•Phalaborwa gate to Mopani
•Letaba to Mopani
•Olifants to Satara
•Lower Sabie to Skukuza
•Crocodile Bridge to Lower Sabie
All gravel roads are closed.

Open Gates:

•Malelane to Berg en Dal
•Orpen to Satara
•Numbi to Pretoriuskop
•Phalaborwa to Letaba
•Phalaborwa to Mopani
•Punda and Pafuri

Further updates will follow. Last updated 12:00 AM.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Communications
"In all things of nature there is something of the marvellous." Aristotle

Shi
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Shi » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 am

For those of you have not yet seen it here is a link to some images of Kruger and surrounds from the News 24 web site

http://www.news24.com/Multimedia/MyNews24/Kruger-National-Park-is-flooding-20120118-2

@Rooies am not sure about the Kapama rd but looking at some of the images of Hoedspruit I suspect your friends will not be able to get through :shock:

:pray: for all those affected!
Shi
"I have a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Lebombo mountains"

2010 KNP
Nov 13-14 Lower Sabie, 15-18 Satara, 19-22 Skukuza,22-27 Biyamiti
Dec 24-27 Biyamiti, 28-29 Orpen, 30-31 Skukuza
Thought for the day
TR March 2010

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 am

The Nwaswitsontso River runs around Talamati and as I remember crosses the dirt road there a few times so sure the whole S145 & S140 would have been closed.
Many of the small rivers that are normally dry sand beds will be fast flowing now with run off from the big rivers.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.

Kruger - 22nd May - 5th June 2015

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

@ everyone .... SANParks are reading here and I am sure they will update as soon as they can. So, just an appeal for everyone to be a little patient at this time. I can image the tourism and media offices are a crazy place to be right now. And SANParks has much to deal with ... guests wanting info, needing to be relocated, gotten to airports to catch international flights, assessments of damage, and many other decisions to make under a lot of pressure.
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:01 am

Latest media release

Following heavy rains encountered in and around the Kruger area, this is an urgent warning. The following areas have been affected:

Kruger Flood update as at 09h00 on 19 January 2012

Following heavy rains encountered in and around the Kruger area. The following areas have been affected:

Rest camps:

Crocodile Bridge

Camp fine – water stopped 50m from fence

Lower Sabie

6 Tents had to be evacuated - no units flooded – water level outside fence

Skukuza

No damage to rest camp – water on fence line

One house in staff village flooded

Flood damage at Skukuza Nursery

Berg en Dal

Fine

Tshokwane Picnic Site

Flooded

Balule

Flooded

Letaba

Staff village flooded

Camping site, swimming pool and filling station flooded

Talamati

still cut off flood damage

Biyamiti

still cut off – no flood damage

Shimuwini

Still cut off and no flood damage

All other camps north fine

Access:
Pafuri E/Gate down to Mopani is fine

Mopani – Phalaborwa is fine

Mopani – Letaba is fine

Letaba – Phalaborwa is fine

Letaba – Olifants is fine

Olifants T-junction to Olifants high level bridge is closed

Olifants high level bridge – Satara is fine

Satara – Orpen is fine

Satara –Tshokwane is fine

Tskokwane – Skukuza is closed (High level Bridge fine but full of debris – await clearing)

Crocodile bridge - Lower Sabie – Skukuza is fine

Crocodile bridge is closed

Skukuza- Malelane is fine

Skukuza –Kruger Gate and Phabeni is closed

Phabeni – Kruger gate is fine

Pretoriuskop – Skukuza – closed

All gravel roads South of Letaba River are still closed.

Open gates:
Malelane to Berg en DalOrpen to Satara

Numbi to Pretoriuskop

Phalaborwa to Letaba

Phalaborwa to Mopani

Punda and Pafuri

Further updates will follow.
Sawubona
Dalene

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:24 am

One helluva sinkhole on the Napi road just past Transport dam. Will share the photo with SANP FB.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Wild Dreamer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild Dreamer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:39 am

The Crocodile River has definitely subsided by quite a few meters since yesterday evening. The weather is a bit fickle here in Marloth Park: Bright sunshine one moment, cloudy and windy the next. Heard from a friend who watched the weather on TV that the storm has apparently spent itself largely.

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:40 am

cheetah2111 wrote:This is what WTM is talking about.

Penga Ndlovu wrote:Napi Road from Pretorius kop just before Transport dam

:big_eyes:

Its good to hear that most of the camps are fine, and there is hardly any flood damage to most of the camps and that everyone is fine.

A :thumbs_up: to everyone who kept people like me posted on the forums, and for everyone who helped and worked around the clock to make sure that everyone remains SAFE, a big hand of applause from me :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A big applause to SANPARKS and SANDF :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

beerboy

Unread postby beerboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:47 am

I was in the park about 2 weeks ago and we were discussing the tradegy of the floods in 2000 and how hectic it must have been. Never did i think it would happen again, nevermind 2 weeks later. The power of nature!! Sanparks has done a brilliant job at keeping people safe and informed :clap: :clap:
Now we hope for water levels to continue dropping and that the recovery work is quick and speedy

WELSH_ASH

Unread postby WELSH_ASH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:57 am

Great news that levels are susbiding.

Let's hope the cyclone that is developing off Moz doesn't bring any more heavy rain this way :pray:

Forecasted here:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/tropical-cyclone-threat-to-sou-1/60405

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Sand River Bush Camp was closed over this period. Some maintenance camps are planned soon before the first guest camps late February. No reports from there yet.

Regarding bookings - remember the need to move people around because of access, units damaged, problems getting supplies in, communication links damaged, etc, etc. Logistics may dictate decisions that on the surface do not make sense to those not in the know....

Do not know why Penny was told park was closed (not in the area at present).....but if roads are damaged it may sensibly have been decided to close to day visitors while clean-up was being done. Also the traffic would be limited to the few tar roads causing possible problems too.

Will be going to office here at LS soon to see if any more help needed around camp.....this morning will have been concentrated on logistics of getting guests where they need to be (airports, other camps, etc)......and I desperately needed to rest after the long night (not as young as I used to be.....).
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Visit OLA

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:26 pm

ecojunkie wrote:Do not know why Penny was told park was closed (not in the area at present).....but if roads are damaged it may sensibly have been decided to close to day visitors while clean-up was being done. Also the traffic would be limited to the few tar roads causing possible problems too.

Just heard William Mabasa -HOD: Public Relations and Communication - on the radio/news, EJ.
They are still trying to establish the extent of the damage and the Park is closed to day visitors today :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Kruger National Park”