Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 52 of 76
 [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Joep,

I've asked a question on how to reach Biyamiti and did not make a statement. According to info you can only reach the camp via Afsaal and not direct from Croc Bridge and I thought from Malelane as well, because its not clear on the distance that the S114 is opened. The S118, S119 and S121 is not opened, which caused a bit of confusion about Malelane entrance, but understand now that that the road is open from Malelane. Still not sure about the low water bridge at Mhlambane, because it takes a while after floods before you can cross it.

Your answer on Croc Bridge is exactly what I thought that you need to drive a long detour of 89 km on only 26 km via Afsaal if coming from Croc Bridge. One can hardly say you can reach Durban from Jo'burg if you need to drive via Port Elizabeth?

Son godin wrote:
Not sure if I understand correct, but according to latest update Biyamiti camp cannot be reached from Malelane or Crocodile Bridge.

Is the only route to Biyamiti then via Afsaal followed by H2-2, turn left at S114 and right at S139.

Is the crossing at Mhlambane open or can you only reach the S25 from the S139 Biyamiti camp road. :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:00 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Joep,

thanks for your answer. It is fantastic that Biyamiti as well as the S139 is open again but my question was when it may be expected that the Biyamiti weir can be crossed again (if ever possible) or when Biyamiti can be reached again via the S25 coming from Croc Bridge without making a detour of 89 km as we will come exactly from Croc Bridge before staying at Biyamiti. I simply want to make sure to avoid disappointments when later in the park and presently there is still time and availability for changing camp.

Once more thanks so much for your help and reponses. :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:40 am 

Hi everyone and thanks for all the updates Joep and Lesego,
We are going to arrive in Kruger next Saturday and dont have internet, will the entrance gates at Malelane and Crocodile Bridge have a list of what gravel roads are open?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Yes, all camp receive the updates as they are issued, so please query at gate/ camp if not displayed (and let me know where it is not displayed at joep.stevens@sanparks.org). As soon as I have information when the closed causeway & bridges are expected to be open, this will be included in the update posted on the web. I have been informed of quite a lot of damage on the Biyamiti Bridge on the S25 so I guess that could be closed for a few weeks. Will update as I receive confirmation.

KInd regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:04 am 

Hi all, for those interested in seeing the effects of the recent floods in Kruger, my next blog post is up - http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... HmJmUFdAkg
Tomorrow I will be blogging about the area around Olifants and Letaba

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 pm 

Thanks Joep,

really appreciate your help here although this was indeed not what I wanted to hear :cry: As this road strech besides the Biyamiti weir was the reason for a 3 nights stay there. So when I suppose that the bridge did not survive the flood can I be also sure that the weir did not either??? If this is the case our options for a 3 nights stay are too limited and I indeed think to switch over to Croc Bridge for another night so that I can drive the S25 from that side and maybe LS.

Please as soon as you got information of how long and how severe the damage on the said bridge and the weir are please inform me as presently there are accommodation in the other camps available. :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm 

First of all, many thanks to Leigh for the wonderful blog. Sitting here in cold snowy Hamburg with one of my many maps of the Kruger in front of me I have been following your adventures which are a great supplement to the info posted by the rangers. We were going to make one of our (almost) annual pilgrimages to the Kruger soon but we've decided to leave it until later in the year.
I think the Kruger staff have enough on their hands at the moment without trying to find accomodation for new arrivals.

And secondly, many thanks to the wonderful, very patient Kruger staff who are involved in the mop-up operations and to those who are dealing with dozens and dozens of questions (many repeated) in a very professional manner.

Kudos to all.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 pm 

Hi Leigh - just curious, did you manage to visit Sweni? It has been looking so dry and miserable these last couple of years and can be so beautiful. Thanks again for your blog, very interesting and enjoy the rest of your time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 am 

Well 2 of us are going to be in Kruger starting on the 13th of March. Have reservations in Berg-En-Dal for 3 nights. Was wondering about making the first night a move to Satara. I now think it might be wise to stay in Berg-En-Dal. I have been in Kruger many times but my Ham Radio buddy has never been. I would like to make sure he has a great time. Hope more roads are open when we get there. Thanks to all the Kruger staff for their hard work putting everything back in place. I am ready to pack and get going but have to wait till March to leave Houston for RSA. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:19 am 

Sorry if the below has been answered elsewhere:

Please could we have the estimated/target dates for the reopening of Balule and Tamboti, which will allow all affected to make alternative plans now.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:41 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've heard that some tents at lower sabie are damaged. We have a reservation for a safari tent LST2 in march - does anybody know if they are affected?

Greetings from bavaria

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:29 pm 

Rookie, I know 6 of the tents were damaged but there are others and I am sure they will accommodate you in those until the others are repaired. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 pm 

Bushcraft wrote:
Sorry if the below has been answered elsewhere:

Please could we have the estimated/target dates for the reopening of Balule and Tamboti, which will allow all affected to make alternative plans now.

Thanks

Ditto, I am wondering should we just change our Balule booking (3-5 March) to Satara instead?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator (2013)
I read somewhere that it is not anticipated that Balule will reopen till much later on this year. I've just changed a booking I had for there at the end of the month :(

San Parks wouldn't give me any indication on the phone when it is likely to reopen again. I would suggest you check out availability in other camps and book alternative accommodation at least for the next few months ... you could always switch back if, by some miracle, everything is up and running in as short a time as just a few months ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm 

WendyA wrote:
San Parks wouldn't give me any indication on the phone when it is likely to reopen again. I would suggest you check out availability in other camps and book alternative accommodation at least for the next few months ... you could always switch back if, by some miracle, everything is up and running in as short a time as just a few months ...
I'm refering to the April and July Holidays, as the park is fully booked, so what's the plan to house all that may have these bookings as part of their trip?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 76  Next