Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 51 of 76
 [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kruger is flooding
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:25 pm 

We leave NL next Friday for SA :D
We will enter the park via Phalabora leaving from White River and I see the road goes through the part that was hit hardest by the floods. Does anybody know if there are still major issues on this route and what the alternative would be?

My other question is if anybody has any idea when Biyamit will be re-opened as I see it is still closed? As we will be travelling we will only have very limited access to email and it would be good to know if our reservation for 11 & 12 Feb will be ok?

Post subject: Tamboti
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:44 pm 

I was just wondering if any one is able to tell me when Tamboti will be reopened. We have bookings there in Sept. What is the procedure if they are not open then, Will we automatically be relocated?
Holding thumbs they are able to repair the damages. Visited Tamboti for the first time last year and fell in love. Oh wait!!! I remember now, it was HORRIBLE!!! Horrible, I tell you. No-one should ever book there again!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:

Post subject: Re: Tamboti
Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:47 pm 

Hi Busybee

I am going to merge your post to the general flooding topic, it will be easier for those providing feedback and info to pick up and reply to.

Link

It's not too late at all. You just don't yet know what you are capable of. Mahatma Gandhi

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:57 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Andrea,

Biyamiti is now open. We will issue the latest media update on the website on the media releases.

Here is the list of the camps that are open:
Bateleur, Berg- en- Dal, Biyamiti, Crocodile Bridge, Letaba (Day visitors site and swimming pool closed), Lower Sabie (except 6 tents), Malelane, Maroela, Mopani, Olifants, Orpen, Pretoriuskop, Punda Maria, Roodewal, Satara (Guests to Satara also requested to use electricity very sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator), Shimuwini, Shingwedzi, Shipindane Hide, Sirheni, Skukuza & Tsendze.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:08 pm 
Guru
Guru

Kruger Flood update as at 15:00 on 27 January 2012

Camps Open

Bateleur, Berg- en- Dal, Biyamiti, Crocodile Bridge, Letaba (Day visitors site and swimming pool closed), Lower Sabie (except 6 tents), Malelane, Maroela, Mopani, Olifants, Orpen, Pretoriuskop, Punda Maria, Roodewal, Satara (Guests to Satara also requested to use electricity very sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator), Shimuwini, Shingwedzi, Shipindane Hide, Sirheni, Skukuza & Tsendze.

Camps Closed

Balule, Boulders, Talamati, Tamboti & Sable Dam Hide.

Picnic Spots
Tshokwane: Serious flood damage and closed completely. Toilet facilities also closed.
Nkuhlu: Open and functional – damage to lower levels.
Letaba Day Visitors Site: Closed
Makhadzi: Closed
Nhlanguleni: Closed
Muzandzeni: Closed
Mlondozi: Open
Timbavati: Closed
Lake Panic Birdhide: Closed
Nwanetsi: Open
Afsaal: Open

Access roads inside the park:
All Tarred roads open except the following:
- T-junction to Olifants at H8 to high level bridge has a section of the road washed away and there is a short gravel detour.
- Olifants River causeway at Balule is still closed.
- Tshokwane to Skukuza is open via H12. Sand River Causeway on H1-2 still closed.
- Tshokwane to Lower Sabie has reopened (causeway over Sabie River below camp has been cleared)
- Skukuza to Malelane is fine (via detour to S114) (Causeway at Delaporte Waterhole washed away).
- Pretoriuskop to Skukuza – is closed (causeways at Transport Dam and Delaporte Waterhole washed away) alternative route via S3 to Phabeni/ Skukuza road.

- All gravel roads south of Letaba River closed except following which have been reopened:

H2-2 (from H3 to S114. Remainder of H2-2 from S114 to H1-1 still closed),S3, S8, S10, S14, S23, S25 (from S114 to T-junction at S139 and from H4-2 to S26 turnoff. Biyamiti Bridge on S26 still closed), S26, S27, S28, S29, S36 (from H7 to S125 turnoff), S37, S39, S40, S41, S51, S62, S82, S89, S90 (causeway over Olifants still closed), S91, S92, S95, S96, S100, S106, S108, S114(from H1-1 to Biyamiti Causeway & from H3 to Biyamiti Causeway . Biyamiti Causeway on S114 still closed), S122, S125, S126, S127, S128, S129, S130, S131, S132, S133, S137, S139, S145

Gates Open:
Crocodile Bridge
Malelane
Orpen
Numbi (to Pretoriuskop and S3 only)
Phabeni
Phalaborwa
Punda Maria
Pafuri
Kruger
Giriyondo Border Post

Gates Closed:

None

Important Notes:

1. Guests are kindly urged to use water sparingly as camps/ gates and picnic spots in many areas operate on emergency pumps and boreholes with limited capacity. Guests to Satara are also requested to use electricity sparingly as Eskom supply line at Balule was washed away and camp is operating on standby generator.

2. For Balule and Tamboti, where damage was extensive and reconstruction is expected to take several months, guests with bookings will be contacted in order to change bookings.

3. There are no facilities at all at Tshokwane and guests may not alight from vehicles there. Arrangements are being made for temporary toilet facilities to be erected.

Emergency Numbers:
Media Enquiries: Reynold Thakhuli 073 373 4999 / Gabrielle Venter 082 696 4724
Tourist Enquiries: Glenn Phillips 083 630 4584 / Joep Stevens 082 802 8093

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Living in The Netherlands but raised in South Africa
Thank you Lesego for the Update :thumbs_up:

Keep up the good work SANParks :clap:

2013 Trip: Satara, Lower Sabie, Hluhluwe, Berg-en-Dal, Lower Sabie, Satara, Elephant Plains(Sabi Sands) :dance:

Our 2013 Trip Report: Vinkie and Apex Predator back in the bushveld

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:27 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you, Lesego, for all the updates. I have been watching them carefully as I drive tomorrow morning to KNP. Will print out the latest so that I have it with me for road closures etc.

Bless you. :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:34 pm 
Guru
Guru

Please vinkie,

Have a safe trip chirinda, don't forget to bring us pictures :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:37 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much Lesego and Joep,

for answering so quickly all the questions and for the regular update. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Any news when the causeways around Biyamiti might be open again?? As well as the Sand River Causeway on the H1-2 and the Olifants causeway??? Are they damaged or are they simply still under water??? Also it would be nice to get some information when the picnic spots and Lake Panic might re-open again.

I know there is always one thing after the other possible but as we will be in the park in 2 weeks I just want to plan a bit our routes including the toilet stops and leg stretchers......In case there might be things impossible until then I still can change some of our accommodations.

Would be great to get an estimated information from you. :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the updates, good to see that you are keeping clients informed.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not sure if I understand correct, but according to latest update Biyamiti camp cannot be reached from Malelane or Crocodile Bridge.

Is the only route to Biyamiti then via Afsaal followed by H2-2, turn left at S114 and right at S139.

Is the crossing at Mhlambane open or can you only reach the S25 from the S139 Biyamiti camp road. :?

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 pm 

Son godin wrote:
Not sure if I understand correct, but according to latest update Biyamiti camp cannot be reached from Malelane or Crocodile Bridge.

Is the only route to Biyamiti then via Afsaal followed by H2-2, turn left at S114 and right at S139.

Is the crossing at Mhlambane open or can you only reach the S25 from the S139 Biyamiti camp road. :?

Also not quite clear for me Son godin - If Biyamiti only can be reached from the Berg en Dal side with a lot of dertours and not from Croc Bridge side (also with a lot of dertours) I really think to skip our stay there although with heavy hearts but the options of drives are a bit too limited for me.

I just realized that Mlondozi is open again - Well that's good news :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know all the people in the park already did everything possible to grade roads and bridges and you still do you utmost to continue this fantastic work of which we are very thankful but I think it is better to think about options when you still have time than to be disappointed when already in the park. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Pumbaa,

Exactly a year back we had the "nasty: surprise of being trapped between Mhlambane and Biyamiti rivers when we stayed at Biyamiti. Both river crossings had no signs indicating the road is closed, but only when we crossed we saw a NO-ENTRY sign and chain blocking the entry at the weir. We were the only car driving along the S114 and found Impalas sleeping in the road.

Although it did not bother us too much, besides the great lions sighting on the other side of the weir we missed. :twisted: :twisted:

Luckily S25 over Biyamiti was still open and later the day the road to Afsaal opened. :thumbs_up:

In two weeks time you might be able to cross the rivers, but not sure about the road condition along S25 and southern S114. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Son godin wrote:
Pumbaa,

Exactly a year back we had the "nasty: surprise of being trapped between Mhlambane and Biyamiti rivers when we stayed at Biyamiti. Both river crossings had no signs indicating the road is closed, but only when we crossed we saw a NO-ENTRY sign and chain blocking the entry at the weir. We were the only car driving along the S114 and found Impalas sleeping in the road.

Although it did not bother us too much, besides the great lions sighting on the other side of the weir we missed. :twisted: :twisted:

Luckily S25 over Biyamiti was still open and later the day the road to Afsaal opened. :thumbs_up:

In two weeks time you might be able to cross the rivers, but not sure about the road condition along S25 and southern S114. :hmz:

I remember that great lion sighting across the weir very well Songodin. :D
Pumbaa, the road closures are restricting. If you can move your booking, do so. If you can't, well you'll be in Kruger and that is the most important thing! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:31 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Pumbaa & Son godin,

Thanks for query. Please assist me in understanding where latest update, as posted by Lesego, indicates that Biyamiti "cannot be reached from Malelane or Crocodile Bridge"? S114 is open except causeway over Biyamiti and S139 is open. S25 is open except bridge over Biyamiti, thus making Biyamiti accessible unhindered as normal from Malelane. From Crocodile Bridge it is not as direct as normally and the shortest would be H4-2, S25, S26, S23, S113, H3, H2-2, S114 and S139.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 76  Next