Skip to Content

Flood : January 2012

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Kruger is flooding

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:45 am

Martie, guide at LS posted this in the LS sightings topic about an hour ago:

MJ wrote:Good morning everyone,
After a very long night with about 2-3 hours sleep I think an update of what is happening in lower sabie will be in order! Yesterday morning at 5 the Sabie river growled past the camp and round about past 5 the mighty Sabie river crossed the bridge!! Sunset dam is filled up with the overflow in line with the water!! We had a worning about Kruger bridge's water and was ready at 2o'clock for the big waters that did not come!! At 4 we got word from skukuza that their water level is up by 3 m and we need to do the necessary evacuation!! Nwathimhiri and Nwathiwhambu bridges was under water and Close to 7 the walk way between the restaurant and the tents were closed down and the riverview tents slowly filled up with water!! When we moved around to the other side of camp, when you stand in front of the fence the mighty river was just on the other side of the fence!! Keartland guest house had crabs running on the veranda and the water all the way up to the steps! At 23h30 we got word that in Skukuza it is slowly going down, every two hours we patrolled the fence to check and at 2h00 this morning it was about 3 m away from the fence and when we drove out to check the road between us and croc bridge we found some very wet lions and the water crossed the road at the sausage trees but is open now! The rain has started again but not as bad as the past few days!! Will keep you up to date if it gets worst!!
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 am

This was posted by a forumite in another topic yesterday midday:

Shutterbug wrote:Exceptional is the correct word, sheeeesh....
My buddy (who shall remain nameless) works in Kruger and had a bit of an "experience" today, his wife just sent me this email...

We are having a flood like 2000 again. Bad day this side (my nameless friend) went to work and the Olifants river came down he was in the bush and didn't know the next thing he saw was just water and more water!

He got out of the vehicle just in time the Olifants river took the vehicle (bakkie) down with the stream!

He had to walk 3km`s to the road to get someone to help but a Buffalo charged him asswell!

Luckely he got a tree and could hide. He got the Ranger of the area and they helped him! He couldn't come home goes no wheels and the road was closed and flooded by the river!

I spoke to him a hour back he's save and the Army Helikopter will fly him back tomorrow morning the weather was too bad tonight couldn't fly back!

Will also be in the park in a week's time and I will monitor the situation closely as well.

mel123,
I would really appreciate it you could give us an update when you get back, hope you have an awesome time.
Sawubona
Dalene

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 am

As Martie says.....raining again now - so grateful it was dry last night while we were patrolling and moving folk....
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

mike_wildearth

Unread postby mike_wildearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 am

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 am

Here is a video on YouTube of Letaba yesterday:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EI7YQe1RGZM[/video]
Uploaded by odofad.
Sawubona
Dalene

PygmyFalcon

Unread postby PygmyFalcon » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 am

This is unbelieveable!!!

Letaba is broken my heart, I hope Kirsty and the Museam is alright as the water look so high.

:gflower: :pray:

I pray that the Kruger can over come this...
Tons of Love
PygmyF

Dynamite does come in small packages!
Missing the Kruger...

December can't come fast enough!

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:45 am

EJ I do hope that you'll get some rest after that long night.................. :gflower:

I'm still in shock about the Letaba video.............just over a week ago we were driving there :big_eyes: we would never have guessed something like this would happen so quick.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Nicolette

Unread postby Nicolette » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:34 am

Hi

I went to the Park about 2 weeks after the floods in 2000. Yes there was huge damage to bridges and infra structure etc but the Park staff were wonderful. The high bridge between Skukuza and Lower Sabie had been damaged and new ramps had to be made but they did it. We were able to travel around the Park and though it was more difficult we managed. So dont give up hope and go anyway. The park will need us now

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2013)

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:53 am

Rooies, apparently the N4 highway between Nelspruit and Malelane is damaged badly. So I can only imagine what the roads must look like around Hoedspruit.

I looked at some photos of Hoedspruit, bridges are destroyed and tar have washed up from some of the roads. It doesn't look good at all.

I have friends there still trapped in their home.

There is a crisis management centre number they can call in Hoedspruit to enquire about the damage.
015 799 2350/2521/2304
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby cheetah2111 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:20 am

As indicated in the previous update the low pressure system South West of Madagascar intensified overnight. Since the last update the system intensified further. Rotation is now visible on the latest NOAA18 and NOAA15 satellite images. Several recent model runs indicate the potential for formation of a tropical disturbance in the SW-Indian Ocean during the period from Monday 16th to possibly Friday 20th. The system is still tracking westward. Heavy rain, strong wind and very rough seas with high wave heights are expected along the northern parts of the Kwazulu Natal coast. Heavy rain is expected over the extreme south eastern parts of Mpumalanga while heavy rain is expected over the lowveld. Heavy rain is also expected over the southern parts of Mozambique.
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

mattmillielibby

Unread postby mattmillielibby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 am

gregdeklerk wrote:How hardy are the crocs and hippos at surving floods?

The animals know then the floods are coming and always move to higher ground. its the smaller animals that often end up getting washed way :cry:
Last edited by mattmillielibby on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
November 2012 trip
3 Nights Olifants
2 Nights Satara
2 Nights Bergendal
3 Nights Pretoriuskop
1 EXTRA night Skukuza

3 nights sabie river bungalows

LarissaVW
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby LarissaVW » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am

Oh no! :big_eyes:
Just as we thought the water levels will keep on going down....
Lets hope the forecast is incorrect ......
"As one person, I can not change the world, but I can change the world of one person."

P/Kop 5 Jan Tambotie 6-13 Jan 2013

DrPhil

Unread postby DrPhil » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

Have to congratulate SANParks and the SANDF along with all volunteers that are handling this crises. Hopefully the rains will stop and the clean-up can start. A few months of road works on nearly all roads and some new furniture and linen is hopefully all that is required.

Thanks for everyone keeping us up to date with what is happening.

I think the crocks and hippos will be just fine. Their instinct would have had them move to higher ground where the currents are not that strong.
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:29 am

Crocs and hippos sense floods long before anything else, so they normally move out of the worse trouble before it hits. But there are casualties yes. I remember seeing a photo of a Hippo on the second floor of a house along the Sabie river in 2000.

And a Croc wandering about in the middle of nowhere in the Kruger veld.

I just spoke to our HR for Shimuwini. She is positive that BBW will go on as planned. It will be a nightmare to cancel or change the dates at this late stage as more than 700 people will be participating in BBW in Kruger this year.

As for Shimuwini, if the damage is severe along the roads or even in the camp, a request will be put forward to give us another camp to operate from such as Satara.

If I hear anything else, I will inform you at once.
Latest Lifer(s): Buff-spotted Flufftail, Tree Pipit, Dimorphic Egret, Lesser Jacana, Citrine Wagtail, Black-tailed Godwit

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby wildtuinman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks to our new law that Government implemented with regards to storm warnings I cannot gather whether any information is correct. But on WeatherSA it seems that the rain has passed and no warnings were issued.

Hoedspruit

Skukuza

Return to “Kruger National Park”