Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Restaurants/Menus at Kruger Restcamps.
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:43 pm 

Hi guys,

I was in the park in June, I was previously in the Park in November 2010. There has been a big change in what is offered to tourists at the restuarants.

The menus that they had are now gone and a generic "day time menu" is in place at all the camps. The day time menu of burgers and sandwiches has become the evening menu as well. I braai when I'm at the kruger but I am still a little shocked at the menu offering.

In November you could have ostrich steak I think and many other very good meals, I was auditing outside Punda Maria in November and decided to have a quick holiday. I had to eat at the restuarant on this occassion. I had a fantastic meal! loads of vegetables and a really good steak.

In June, I was speaking to a British tourist who asked where he could eat a decent meal. I referred him to the restuarants, he stated that he didn't want to eat burgers and chips. So I asked the waiter at this camps restuarant and he stated that there were no vegetables, only salads and there were no nice meals.

This isn't good for advertising, as the overseas tourists are not enjoying this change in menu.

I wonder if the caterers are having an issue logistically or if there is a person in Skukuza that has decided to change the menu as such. The old menu is needed back as disgruntled tourists are leaving the park.

The Staff at the restuarants are great and they are having to put up with a lot at present.

Post subject: Re: Camp Restuarant Menus
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
That's strange, because we had a lovely meal in the Jackalberry restaurant at the end of March - hot carvery with lekker lean tender meat (venison and pork), lovely vegetables and roasties, and we recommended it to friends who went three weeks ago. They said it was every bit as nice as we described, so we took that to mean they had received the same sort of carvery we had!! :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

The menu.
I see even pizza there....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:06 pm 

I was at Shingwedzi and Punda Maria when I was in the Park. The restuarant managers said that the menus had just been changed and were uniform around the park??? No vegetables at all????

Carvery? nowhere to be seen.

Pizza, I can buy a pizza in New York.... that isn't an african meal that should be offered at Kruger. I'm not saying don't have pizza, but where are the more upper class meals that they used to have?

I can't vouch for Skukuza as that would be stupid not to have a larger menu.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
cheetah2111 wrote:
Robbie this is a subjective issue. Shingwedzi restuarant is just the best in my opinion.

We also ate well there at the end of March. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 am 

RobbieB83 wrote:
It is subjective, it isn't working with the overseas tourist though and they weigh the kruger up against the serengeti and the private lodges. So at the end of the day, whose loss is it really going to be? The SA tourism card of which the Kruger is the number one attraction in my books.

A steak, egg and chips for dinner is not what they are looking for. And I am speaking under correction, but that is what I was offered over the course of 15th June to the 19th June 2011.

Sorry to disagree, Robbie. I am from overseas and i have been to Kruger in April. Me and my friend liked the menu and we really enjoyed our meals at the restaurants.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:52 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I tend not to eat at the camp restuarants, but I did have a great meal once at Punda 8)

I have had very fresh chichen salad at Pretorius Kop.

Thokwane.. boerrie roll to die for :clap: :clap: :clap:

Satara, nothing to write home about.

Afsaal, their pancakes are really great :thumbs_up:

Skukuza, have done the Selati, not sure if I made the best meal choice.

Generally, I would like to see healthier options. I find that the heat and driving leaves me with little appetite for burgers and fast food fare.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
I don't eat in the camp restuarant's in the park but I must say I enjoy the Kudu Wors Rolls at Tshokwane and have at least two or three every trip.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:47 am 

On our recent trip we had quite a few meals during the day at various camps and with the standardised menu's one knows beforehand exactly what to order. :tongue:

We mainly had toasted sandwiches, the pies, etc

I noted that Lower Sabie was upgrading the take-away section and it looked very much like it was going to be one of the self service type areas, where they have a railing that one slides your tray around, sure it must be completed by now, and I would be interested to see what it is like.
All the toasted sandwiches now come on a skewer with 3 slices of bread and chips which I find too much for me during the day, but they were all nicely presented with a sprig of rosemary on each plate!

We had a perfectly acceptable bacon and egg breakfast at Mopani and we were quite a large group of 5 adults and 2 children.

Olifants, what can I say, I hardly noticed what I was eating due to that stunning view!
I do recall the LO's having some chicken nuggets and chips and a good milk shake which they seemed to enjoy.
Think my SO had a steak egg and chips meal which he didn't seem to have any complaints about.

We also had lunch at Letaba and again, no specific complaints, some of our group shared a pizza and seemed very happy.
Also a plate of fish and chips was polished off.

We didn't eat a meal at Shingwedzi but did go one evening pre dinner to have some of their fun named cocktails and were surprised to learn that they no longer do them.
They were not cheap so to my mind a big revenue loss.

I recall the burgers at Skukuza some of our group had in Feb did not look at all appetising at all, but not being a burger person I cannot comment further other than I would not have enjoyed eating them and my tomato and cheese toasted sarmie looked the better option. :wink:

I also recall Jock saying that the one day 3 of them shared a divine piece of chocolate cake at Skukuza so for any sweet toothed mites I can give that a :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Camp Restaurant Menus
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:48 pm 

I came across this posting on one of our other forums, and thought it would be good to mention it here ; please allow me :

I must say, it was a pleasure to have lunch at Letaba today! For the first time in ages, good food, friendly service and nice and clean at the restaurant. Well done guys, keep it up.

The prices have gone up a bit, but R45 for Steak, Egg & Chips is not bad. The portion was more than enough and it was prepared as asked for the first time round.

I will be back there again soon for another meal!!!

Good work !! :dance: :dance: - I will certainly make use of them on my trip. :clap: :clap:

Skukuza - 09-14 April 2012

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:30 pm 

Bert, are you satisfied with the menu for dinners?

I don't want you to be protective of the park on this one. In your honest opinion if you had a choice of the old menu and the new menu for an evening dinner. Which one would you go for?

Which one has more punch power for a visitor who;
A.) Has foreign currency to afford either;
B.) Will not braai or provide their own food for their trip;
C.) They would have eaten off the same generic menu at lunch time;
D.) Shingwedzi "Camp of the year 2011" "My fav Camp too" did not have vegetables on their menu at all. Nor had they for awhile according to the staff.

I would like to know what you would prefer in our premier tourist attraction?

I love the egg, steak and chips....... that unfortunately is a day time meal in my eyes.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Just returned from our second trip to KNP.

As a vegetarian the restaurants were hopeless for me. The non-meat pizza was a joke - it actually had no veggies on it whatsoever. Other than that there was only salad. I was with three family members (all non-vegetarians) and they wanted to mostly eat at the restaurants. However after 10 days in the park with the same menu at each camp (Letaba, Shingwedzi, Mopani) they were sick of meat and fries, fries, fries! No cooked veggies served with anything!!! No pasta or rice dishes. The breakfast menu was sad too - no continental type stuff like various cereals, fruit, croissant etc.
The food my family members did eat was well cooked and tasty and generally the service was ok (not great by any means - we got the impression the training was lacking as the waiters were not professional in their approach).
Although I know for a fact that Letaba and Shingwedzi were fully booked whilst we were there, the restaurants seemed very quiet. Maybe a reflection of the offerings?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

We have had many complaints about the lack of vegetarian dishes
Being discussed with Compass

Post subject: Re: Menu's @ KNP Restaurants
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:31 am 

Hi there

Here is the latest menu which came into effect on 01 April 2012 according to the lady at Shingwedzi Restaurant.

Regards

Ronaldo

Post subject: Re: Menu's @ KNP Restaurants
Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:05 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Ronaldo that is great to see the new menu! I have to say that those responsible have made a bit of an effort to do something for vegetarians but it is still a really BASIC selection. You don't want to get tired of chips! :lol: We eat very light healthy food, so it will definitely be self catering all the way for us this year.
The thing I can't get over is the prices - for foreigners the prices are SO cheap - about half to a third what we would pay for similar meals here. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next