Secrets to a great braai?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Re: Secrets to a great braai?

Unread postby Grantmissy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:52 am

Quality over quantity, do not disrupt or “direct” the Braaier from the comfort of your chair (too many cooks spoil the chops) and do not poke the boerewors on the ambers - the juices will run out.
Do not support Circuses that uses wild and other animals to perform circus acts to amuse people

figjam

Unread postby figjam » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:26 pm

The secret to a great braai, would be a good pair of tongs, a bag of dry hard wood, good company and a cold one.
NO Hotels in Kruger

2015 Trip

27th April - Lower Sabie
28 April - 3 May Berg n Dal Camping
24 - 27 September Satara Camping

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Stark » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Great advice on here! I've certainly been too impatient in my past braai attempts.
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:16 pm

Hello all,
I am traveling solo & staying in bungalows next month - May 2015.
I would like to try my first ever KNP braii for a portion of my trip, while staying at BnD & also at CB each for 1 night.

I want to keep it simple, because I will be getting up early every AM and will be out on the roads all day & additionally sometimes going on Sunset Drives and getting back late.

From reading this post it seems I should go with charcoal, & also purchase a fire starter and fuel.
Boerwars or steak for meat, plus salad.

Do the utinsels listed with the accomodations includes something that I can use for braiing? :pray:

I have read that there is a SPAR & PicknPay in Melane.

Have I missed anything to have a simple/easy braii for 1?

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)

Unread postby anne-marie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:53 pm

I (almost) travel alone... every day/evening I make a braai, not only for fun, but for super :thumbs_up:
it's a so nice habit :dance:

good luck for the first one... :wink:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

planing KTP janv/fev.2016

Porridge
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby Porridge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:54 am

ctm7943 wrote:From reading this post it seems I should go with charcoal, & also purchase a fire starter and fuel.
Boerwars or steak for meat, plus salad.

Do the utinsels listed with the accomodations includes something that I can use for braiing? :pray:

I have read that there is a SPAR & PicknPay in Melane.

Have I missed anything to have a simple/easy braii for 1?

Hi ctm7943,

Firelighters (fire starter) are all you need to get charcoal burning. The box contains a white, polystyrene-like material which is used to get your fire going. Don't use the whole box though, as you'll still be waiting for the flames to die down somewhere around breakfast. You break off a section and tuck it under the charcoal (a box should be good for at least 5 braais) and then light the firelighter itself. Once the charcoal has burnt through and has subsided to a good cooking temperature (a good rule of thumb is being able to hold your hand over the coals at the level your meat will be at without burning yourself for a count of 3) you can go ahead. Be liberal with spicing your meat before braaing too, and various pre-mixed braai spices and marinades are readily available in the stores. Of course, a few cold ones during this ritual goes without saying ...

Don't discount lamb chops either. They are freely available in all grocery stores as well as the camp shops, and are also immensely cheaper than buying them in America as well as much larger. Delicious and quick to cook!!

The chalets do have braai tongs, but a fork works just as well as long as you're quick with the turning of the meat. There are stores in Malalane for your stay in BnD, and Komatipoort is just outside the gate at CB. I would recommend finding the local butcher in each town as your meat quality will be miles better then pre-packaged, store bought meat.

Don't deny youirself the primal pleasure of buying a bag of wood and placing pieces on the coals after you're finished cooking. Having a proper fire going while eating is just about obligatory 8) Have a blast, and enjoy your braai!!

Now I'm very, very hungry ...
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

Tired of looking at the bushes in your garden and wishing "you were there"? Try here for something different

Travel Tales - Jaxi's and Porridge's 4th adventure

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:57 pm

Porridge,
Thanks for the very helpful braii tips. The lamb sounds like a great choice.
Not sure if I will have the desire or energy to sit out by a wood fire after driving all day (till gate closure) or after a sunset drive.
But will definitely go for it during my next visit, probably in Nov 2016.
If I enjoy the braii experience, will do many full braiis then.

ryry2003

Unread postby ryry2003 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:52 am

figjam wrote:The secret to a great braai, would be a good pair of tongs, a bag of dry hard wood, good company and a cold one.

Why only one cold beer?

The more cold ones I have the better I believe I cook plus the appetite increases so anything I cook, no matter how good or bad, will taste good according to myself.

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:26 pm

I just read on a Kruger Face book page about a :Braii in a box".
It looks like something I would like to try, does anyone know where I can get one of these?

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:46 pm

You can get the 'braai in a box' from all the camp shops as far as I know

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:05 am

Thanks CaolV, I will look for it in one of the shops

Return to “Kruger National Park”