Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Secrets to a great braii?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:53 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

threedogs - some tips for those vegetarians at a braai - there's nothing wrong with them to braai something for themselves .
Wrap a butternut squash in tinfoil and nudge it into the coals .
It is great .
You can do all sorts of non-meat things like that when you braai .
Garlic bread wrapped in tinfoil , sweet potato with butter !
That's a yummy :tongue: .
In fact , sweet potato even not wrapped, but also nudged into the coals ( we call it an " aspatat " - direct translation " ash-sweetpotato" ) - when you eat it , you have to scrape the ash off it first - not so great tasting the ash-grit between your teeth :doh: but nevertheless very nice with butter :)
Then you can also braai corn-on-the-cob directly above the coals , or inside tin-foil - remember the butter . Or toast your bread above the fire - we call it braai-brood ( braai-bread ) .
And you can bake a "potbrood " in the braai - make bread-dough - you will need a recipe for that -use beer instead of yeast - into the pot- some coals on the lid - and bake away :doh:
And never ever forget about the liquid refreshments that go with the braai :naughty:
And good company also helps :roll:
Now enjoy 8)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Threedogs, maybe the best advice, if you are in a hurry, is to start your fire with firelighters and charcoal and cook your food on the fire and once it is finished add some firewood and enjoy.
I agree with those that there isn't anything much better than watching a fire in Kruger at night.
However if you are hungry or have hungry people in your party, your enjoyment of the fire and the accompanied refreshments might not go down well with the SO...and might just end up with a trip to sleep in the car... :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Some great ideas there for vegie eats on the braai - thanks! I am definitely going to try some of those suggested.
Is setting up a campsite also an area where every South African camper thinks they have the perfect and best way to go about it (like the braaing)? Once watched three couples take over an hour to decide where and how to set up their shared campsite which involved a lot of discussion which became more heated as time passed :tongue: It was very entertaining with lots of raised voices, arm waving and pacing and looking at the sun and shade trees etc etc. (Now I've probably thread jacked my own thread :doh: )

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:05 am 

I just loved all the suggestions from cooks here on this thread.
I have another question:
We will be in the park for 3 weeks and after a while one would like something a little different, rather than steaks, boerewors, peri peri chicken or chops on the braai.
Also I realize our cookware in the accommodation is limited.
I would love to hear ideas and/or recipes of what others make either on the fire or on the stove.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

safarigal wrote:
.......... and after a while one would like something a little different, rather than steaks, boerewors, peri peri chicken or chops on the braai.

Safarigal - err... umm .... Saffies , never ever get tired of steaks , boerewors , chops , peri peri chicken ( or any other chicken ) on the braai :naughty:

The fire and the coals of a braai is the main essence, then the smell .
Either the smell coming from the wood/coals - different kinds of wood give off different aromas .
Then of course the smell from cooking food , directly off the flames or the coal - that's what make up the braai Plus of course , sharing it with some-one you care for over a drink :)
And if you do get tired of burning the meat , then cook it in a pan or a pot .
A three-legged cast-iron pot is great , or a flat-bottom cast-iron pot , or if necessary even those utensils supplied to you .
It does not matter , it is what you do with it .
But preferably cook with it on the open braai .
Recipes ?
Well , of that you will find many .
Amongst the books sold in the camps , you will certainly find something - give it a browse-around .
Then go and enjoy yourself :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Safarigal, my suggestion for the for meals without meat would be a pasta and sauce. You can easily cook the pasta and heat the sauce in the communal kitchens or your own little kitchenette. The space won't be too seriously taken up in your car and you can buy a nice and tasty pasta sauce beforehand from the bottle as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I think the forum members are great cooks and very creative in preparing good food in the Kruger outdoors :D . The vegetarian ideas and recipes sound brilliant even though I am not vegetarian. I am definitely going to try some of them - thanks :thumbs_up: . Does anyone know whether one can prepare a pudding over the coals or perhaps even have a recipe?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Over here are some recipes and I have seen some for puds If I come across them I will post another link :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:11 pm 

Hey threedogs,

If it was just the SO and I in KNP I would only consider a wood fire, but since the arrival of 3 kids that are normally asleep by 8pm, I have to hurry things along.

I “prepare” my braai before the evening drive using a mix of wood and briquettes as in the pic below and at 6pm when returning from the drive I throw a small piece of fire light in at the bottom. This gives me the wood flame and also enough coal to braai on quickly, so it’s the best of both worlds. I also have a few large pieces of wood to throw on after braaiing, so I can still stare at the flames for hours. :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The leaning tower of Bushcraft!! :lol:

I often make and freeze casseroles or curries a couple of days before leaving and then take them out to defrost in the morning!! We still light the fire though even if we aren't braaing....can't be in Kruger without a fire to sit around! :naughty:

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
@Bushcraft. You have got it 100% correct :clap: Wood and charcoal to braai and a nice big stump of wood to give atmosphere after the braai. There is simply no substitute for genuine African hard wood.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Bushcraft for the visual!
Only 8 days to go! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
There is simply no substitute for genuine African hard wood.

Rooies , here in the Cape we use " wingerd-stompies " . ( Grape-vine stumps ) .
Gives a very nice coal .We usually bring some with us when visiting Kruger :thumbs_up:

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Post subject: braai facilities
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:37 am 

please advise, most of the rest camp huts and bungalows have "braai facilities."
I think this is what we in the states call a bar-b-que grill.
where does one get fuel? charcoal or firewood?
what is used?
we are planning 5 days in Kruger and 1 in Limpopo in May
hope to grocery shop in Hazyview.
Any suggested places to visit and must have items to bring.
we have 4x4 but plan to stay in huts/bungalows rather than camping.

is there a suggested Kruger/SANP cookbook?

thanks

Sara
Washington, DC

Post subject: Re: braai facilities
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:13 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi simershein, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find it a helpful place, with knowledgeable experts to answer all your questions.
You are right, a braai is a barbeque, but instead of gas, charcoal or wood is used. Since braaing is done on such a large scale by visitors, camp shops stock wood and charcoal, as well as other things needed, like firelighters, matches etc.
There is quite a debate among afficianados as to what the best fuel is, :wink: but for first timers I would suggest charcoal.
It is the easiest method, in my opinion. You put your little pile of charcoal on the braai, stick some firelighters in and light them. Wait until your coals turn grey and put on your meat. It is delicious and a must to try.
If you are having trouble, ask some neighbours for help. Some of them are sure to be braaing, and they should be very willing to show or help you.
Meat for a braai, often include lamb chops, steak or "boerwors", a type of sausage that you must try.
For advice on shopping, have a read here http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=67&t=58654

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next