Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Campfire cooking.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Not a huge planner - normally just throw odds and sods into the freezer and then take out in the mornings what is easiest to reach.
What I do try and do though - at least once - is a roast fillet, roast potats and vegies on the braai - a full "Sunday Lunch" if you like.
When it comes to puddings - the lazy way - Amarula or iceream and fruit do just fine (even in winter).
Breakfast is normally brunch - as nothing tastes better than bacon and eggs done out in the open!
Always take one ready cooked meal for the lazy days when I just want to watch the flames dance rather than let them burn down to coals.
Not huge into food - and looking forward to the day when a pill can be popped instead of having to cook!

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:23 pm 

Here is a beer bread recipe for you guys:

500g self raising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 beer (any kind as long as you can pry it out of your SO's hands)

Mix all together - it is very sticky.

Variations:
:P Cheese and bacon : 1 cup grated cheese and 1 pkt cooked bacon chopped into pieces
:P Feta and bacon : 1/2 cup feta crumbled and 1 pkt cooked bacon chopped into pieces
:P Feta and Spinach : 1/2 cup feta crumbled and shredded raw spinach
:P Sweetcorn : just add 1 tin sweetcorn to the mix

Bake in your oven @ 180deg for about 30 - 40 min or do in a broodpot on the fire. Be careful not to have the coals too hot as it will burn. I have just bought one of those rectangular broodpots that you put a baking tin into so I will let you know how it goes on our next camping trip.

Enjoy - it is a firm fav with our friends and the kids

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm 

Concerning potbrood, I have recently bought a pot contraption that I think has huge potential for outdoor living. Not having tried it out, I can only speculate on its worth. It is a 3 piece compact bread cooker consisting of a base on supports, on it sits the bread pan for either one loaf, or the one I bought, for 4 mini loaves of 130mm x 70mm each. On top is the lid arrangement with space for charcoal. It is cleverly designed to accommodate 20 brickets of charcoal under, around and on top.The whole thing slides together and fits in a box with the lettering "MINI BREAD OVEN. 20 brikkets & 4x125gr. bread dough & 35 minutes baking time. I paid about R300 for it.
Sneeugans

Post subject: Camping Christmas Fare
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:47 pm 

We will be in KNP for Christmas and we are planning a yummy Ostrich Neck Potjie cooked slowly over the coals at Balule. I am picturing lots of G'nT's :lol: to keep us hydrated and special time slumbering in my camping chair! :whistle:

This got me thinking :hmz: (I admit doesn't happen too often) - what do others do?

What are you planning for your camping Christmas feast?

Post subject: Secrets to a great braai?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:14 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Okay, at the risk of sounding like a nitwit I need to ask all you saffies especially: 'What is the secret to a successful braii?'
And I don't mean menu-wise!
Here in Oz due to risk of bush fires in summer when we want to bbq, we have to use gas barbecues.
(By the way, is that what you call a skottel?)
Anyhow, last time in Kruger we had a go at the braai thing but I don't think it was exactly a success.
It seems to take forever and by the time stuff is cooked I've lost my appetite and am ready for bed!
So... how do you braai successfully without joining the 'slow food movement'?

Post subject: Re: Secrets to a great braii?
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If it was hard wood, it does take a while for good coals, find for myself to try get coals a bit quicker you need a hot fire with wood as tightly packed as possible.
Also think part of the success is the time it takes, watching the fire gives you time to reflect and just do nothing, listen to nature sounds, or sit and have a conversation while waiting, it forces you to slow down.
To me the braai is more about the ritual than the actually cooking part.
As for the bbq vs skottel, think you guys have proper gas cookers that you bbq on, skottel is a round plough disc so we don't generally do steaks, wors etc on, for me it is used for frying, rather than a braai.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:47 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

threedogs -please do not be offended now .
If you want fast-food , you go to a steak-house :)
A braai is a slow process :whistle: BTW , we pronounce it same as "fry " but draw it out a little longer - braai .
Then , take your time , take your time 8)
Use wood , a nice hard wood like some thorn trees .
Your native Black wattle ( Acacia mearnsii ) is also excellent .
And of course, you can use charcoal which makes for hot coals, but does not impart any flavour to your braai :wink: .
Another "must-have " is a plentiful supply of frosties .
Take a firm grip on a can/bottle in the one hand and every time you walk around the fire you take at least one sip from it .
Keep it handy at all times .
For emergencies you know .
Like thirst :whistle:
Or if the fire gets too hot, you can douse it with a splash of beer - but be careful now - a splash on the fire deserves at least one for the throat :naughty:
waste not , want not .:roll:
And every now and then , you can also pour a few precious drops on your steak steak/chop , or even wors It adds flavour . :wink:
And remember the sips in between - that is very important - to braai is hard work , and you need to keep up your strength :roll:
And don't worry about a lost appetite .
You can wash the food down easily with another sip from the can/bottle :lol:
Now go and enjoy it :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 am 

Threedogs, from the excellent advice already given in this thread I am sure you will be able to do your next braai in Kruger justice. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
One can sit for hours just looking at the flames of a decent wood fire (I can't imagine staring at a gas burner for that amount of time :doh: )
As said, it is the ritual of starting the fire, the campfire stories, the discussions about the day's sightings, the planning of the next day's routes, sorting out politics and in between a couple of gulps of something stronger. There is simply no substitute for a good hardwood fire.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If you are looking for something that won't take too long, forget the wood and make a fire with charcoal briquettes only. Nice warm fire that doesn't take too long to get up to temperature and won't burn all night either, especially if there is a wind and the bush is a bit dry.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:24 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I may be shot down for this ...

In the absence of sufficient kindling I do admit to using firelighters and a small amount of charcoal to assist in lighting a "hardekool" (proper hardwood) fire , the same applies to wood that is not completely dry .

When the company I have has whined sufficiently at being unable to wait for the meat to be sufficiently cooked I have also been forced to use some of the wood coals to kindle a small amount of charcoal which is kept seperate untill fully ignited .

Meat cooked on a gas fire does not constitute a braai .
I regard skottel - cooked meat (excluding bacon) with the utmost contempt .
Both of the above forms of braai meat cooking should be prohibited in the Kruger .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Last edited by ndloti on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures and/or insects (2012)
Being UK based, our weather is not often conducive to bbqs hence, like threedogs, we also have a gas bbq.
In Kruger we had always used charcoal briquettes until 2 years ago we were staying at Balule and the great fortune to be in the adjacent hut to another forumite, Blommietjie and her SO.
They saw our YRs and we joined them for a chat that evening and were taught everything about having a proper braai with wood.
It was one of those priceless evenings and we recall the time each evening we light up in the Park now.
So if you are reading this, Louise, we will be back in 7 days and will pick up plenty of wood on the way to the gate...and will toast you both each evening.
So for all those who are at the beginners braai stage - take your time and take care - this is all part of the Kruger experience.
Patience is always rewarded !!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Here's another tip . Anyone who tells you he has learnt his cooking skills in a steak-house cannot braai . He will make a fire that will scorch your skin from 3 meters away , and will char- cook the meat in clouds of smoke and sizzle , and it may even put you off the coldest black label or windhoek beer in his cool-box :x .

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Misspelling? The one in the title? I wondered when you were going to change it.... ;)

Did you know that I wrote on how to braai? You can find it here.
But the best ingredients are good friends, laughter and a drink of sorts.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Agreed Duco :thumbs_up:

3Dogs, I am sometimes a coal vulture.. that means I stand around looking for an abandoned braai with perfect coals. Its eco friendly and a bit on the cheeky side. :wink:

Punda is a perfect place to be a coal vulture, as there is a communal braai area and the original stakeholders have usualy left once their meat has cooked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next