Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Post subject: Re: Baboon killing and eating Impala
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:18 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We saw two similar cases. The first was just south of Skukuza (on the H1-1) where a big male baboon caught a steenbok lamb and took it up a maroela tree. The steenbok ewe was still standing under the tree while the lamb (held by the baboon in its mouth) was still kicking and bleating. It was quite a horrible sight to see (and hear). The baboon jumped from the tree and ran off with the still alive lamb when a safari vehicle stopped and started a conversation with his mates over a very loud radio. This happened in November 1999.

The second time was just two years later (November 2001), just south of the Olifants River on the H1-4 where we witnessed a big male baboon devouring a young impala lamb in the middle of the tar road - with the impala herd watching him with looks which seemed like expressions of abhorrence on their faces. It appeared as if the baboon was particularly fond of the young lamb's intestine - especially the liver.

Post subject: Re: How many adult leopards do you have in one photo?
Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:36 pm 

RayK wrote:
Hi geraas,
Great sighting and photos. I've never seen more than one adult Leopard at one time let alone three. :thumbs_up: But, I did see five Leopards in one tree last October. :big_eyes:

Just going through some (oldish) postings ....
Thanks again for these photos Geraas - wonderful sighting. (and thanks also to Ossendryver)
RayK - where did you see five Leopards in one tree?
I ask this, because in October 2006 south of Lower Sabie, we had a similar experience
with two (? largish) females and three cubs ! The only other visitor close enough to witness two of
the cubs who had krept close to the road and were "peeping" at us from under a bush was a young Dutch tourist - whilst everyone was looking at the other three Leopards in the tree.
It was very difficult to get all the Leopards into one photo! So well done with your photography Geraas!
Later that afternoon a young learner ranger confirmed that the two small cubs were only 4 months old!
In January 2007, we saw the same "family" of Leopards very close to that area .. one of the now almost fully
grown Leopards caught a Mongoose and took it up into one of the large leafy trees close to the road, whilst
one adult female hunted Impala one km away, next to the road, and another large female lay resting, also close to the road.
How privileged we are to see these magnificent creatures.
Again, well done and thanks for the excellent photos ! :clap:

Post subject: Re: Luckiest day ever!
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:15 pm 

Hallo there!!

In January 2010 we went on a afternoon drive at Orpen and we saw 3 lionesses taking down an zebra in the road!
We sat there for 2hours and watched them eat!
That night I went on a sunset drive where we were greeted by +- 19 Lions witch included cubs feasting on the zebra!

The next morning we left Tamboti camp at 4:30am and set off for Satara!
On our way we saw the lions still feasting!
And by the time we came back from Satara we saw a Rhino in the road, buffalo, elephant, just as we came to Tamboti turnoff we saw a zebra giving birth.
As we where looking at that a black Pajero stopped next to us and said we must drive back 2km there is leopards!
We the drove back and saw an mating pair in an tree and watched them for 2hours!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:23 pm 

My luckiest day at Shingwedzi area was the 22nd of Dec 2012!
Saw 4 Cheetah near Punda Maria!
Saw 2 female lionesses and 2 cubs feasting on an Zebra on the S57 near Babalala and saw 2 male lions and 1 female from the bridge at shingwedzi lying on the sand!
That evening we went on an night drive and saw 1 male lion about 500m from camp in the road and it disappeared and we then got an male and female at the bridge when we came back from the drive!
As we took photo's and video's the lion of earlier roared and this 2 started roaring in the road in front of us!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 pm 

Feb 14th, 2012 - After a quiet drive from LS to CB we were slowly making our way back via a small dirt track when a movement caught my eye.
I saw a lean figure loping down the road and my heart began pounding, I am crazy about leopards and was hoping desperately to have a good sighting.
Something wasn't quite right though and even as my brain registered it my husband shouted - cheetah!!
Our first sighting EVER and we were utterly spoiled by not one or even two but three cheetahs, mom and her two babies.
They lazed around posing for us like super models and as they languidly arose to continue their journey I was thrilled by our encounter but then it got even more interesting.
One of the cubs walked behind our vehicle and the next moment I heard a clatter and scraping.
He had jumped on top of our car and was having a good chew on our aerial!
After a few minutes of pacing around on the roof he decided to follow his family and jumped down leaving us pinching ourselves in disbelief.
We were lucky enough to get a copy of another visitors photo as evidence that it really happened :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Awesome AndreaB :thumbs_up:

Your car was probably the highest thing around so he was probably looking for prey - and playing a bit.

Post subject: Re: Share your great sightings in Kruger here
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm 

I never actually realized that this topic was still going!

I have a story of our most recent trip to KNP in Dec 2012.

We were camping at Satara and cat sightings were very slow, until we saw our first Cheetah. The whole trip of 7 days we saw a total of 9 different cheetah.

We had seen great number of general game and great herds of buffalo and elephant. The only predator that we needed to see was a leopard. Wild dog we were very blessed to see but no leopard.

On a trip that we went south, on our way back to Satara, north of Tshokwane, someone told us of a leopard in a culvert underneath the road. very excited we proceeded north and soon forgot about the leopard sighting. A long way north we saw a jockey with tourists on the wrong side of the road and I asked whaT THEY WERE LOOKING AT, AT WHICH THE JOCKEY AND TOURISTS SAID NOTHING!!! So we kept on driving when it hit me that it was at that spot where the leopard was.

Needless to say I turned back only to the disgust and filthy looks of the jockey and tourists, even swore at us and called us spoilsports :shock: :shock: :shock: :rtm: :rtm: :rtm:

We are very serious Krugernites so we were silent and obeyed the law and stayed on our side of the road waiting to see the leopard. Every now and then we would hear the leopard growl.

When the jockey decided to go they all gave us a filthy look for a last time blew the hooter and shouted to spoil the sighting for us. :rtm: :big_eyes: :shock: and then left!!!!

We hung around for another 30 min only hearing a growl every now and then. Slowly making our way back to camp, 5km up the road I spotted a spotted cat walking towards us in the road!!!

It was a huge male leopard and we had him all to ourselves and he posed and paraded, even jumped into a open type of tree and posed. Pushed for time and him moving deeper into the bush we reluctantly but very thankfully decided to move on back to camp. Kruger showed us if you respect it it will share it's gems with you!!!! What a sighting!

To end off this awesome day we saw yet another cheetah just before the Nwanetsi turn off!!

I love Kruger with all its surprises for those who are patient :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Forumites,
Pikkie, that's a sad story about the Jeep Jockey and his customers not wanting to share a sighting. That's not what Kruger is all about. Glad you did get to see a Leopard though. :)
cedron, sorry about the late answer to your question about my five-leopard sighting. It was north of Mapungubwe and not part of SANParks.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

:hmz: I wonder.

I have often come across parked vehicles watching 'nothing'. Having coffee/reading the map/enjoying the spot. I wonder if they were lying.

Note to self: Next time, hoot, telling them I want to flush some birds.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
:hmz: I wonder.

I have often come across parked vehicles watching 'nothing'. Having coffee/reading the map/enjoying the spot. I wonder if they were lying.

Note to self: Next time, hoot, telling them I want to flush some birds.

:funny:

makes you think, doesn't it!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We had a scenario where we saw a leopard run over the road in front of us and into the bush but the shrubbery was so thick and he was so quick we just glimpsed him.
While looking to see if we could see him again a car stopped asking what's there?
we said a leopard, the moegoe thought we were playing a prank on him and when they left we did too as leopard was out of sight, so were driving along and the moegoes were in front of us and they decided to get back at us for our so called prank on them and almost pushed me off the road into a tree, needless to say toe was my man "eers kwaad," (Tr = very cross) we passed the moegoes and carried on driving, probably about 8km's from the last sighting when we happened on another leopard right next to the road, well we stopped and watched and then the moegoes arrived.
They asked what we saw and again we said leopard, once again they thought we were lying and they pressed their hooters and screamed and cursed at us.
Claimed we are idiots and liars, well the next minute our gorgeous leopard got up and ran like hell, can't say I blame it, my man was woedend, (furious)
The moegoes then drove away, we drove on and reached the tar road.
Later in camp we discovered the moegoes stayed in the same camp as us and the moegoes then wanted to start a fight with my step brother, my step father and SO told them to beat it and if they come near us again they will not find their vehicle in a pleasant way the next morning, well LOL we had the last laugh because my step dad won't touch someone else's stuff but they didn't know that and stood guard by their vehicle the whole night while we sat watching laughing at them :D

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:52 am 

:big_eyes: :shock: :sniper: , you get some stupid crazies!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17