Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Limpopo side safety
Unread postPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 am 
Tjaart wrote:
Do you believe the Moz side unsafe, or rather, not that comfortable to travel?

The Moz side is a lot more safer that the streets of Sasolburg :wink:
When we went through the park, the road was a bit uncomfortable to travel on ….almost 2 ½ hrs to travel 80 km

Tjaart wrote:
WIll one have interference from locals past Giriyondo border post?

The locals will not interfere with you if you do not interfere with them.
Also remember, it is seen as very rude to take photos of them without asking permission first.
This is not a moneymaking scheme…it is a sign of respect.

Tjaart wrote:
Secondly, I will be camping at Letaba (July 2007) and was planning to tak a day trip to Massingir dam. By reading all the postings, it seems that that might be a bit to much for a one day trip?

You should be able to make it to Massingir and back ….if it is worth the while….IMHO, no.
Also at the dam wall, there is a lot of construction going on…when we went past there it was one big construction site.

Mike Rex wrote:
I have read all sorts of views about this but no one seems to know if you can go into the Moz side with a normal vehicle.

According to the “rules” you are only allowed to go through there with a 4x4….they however do let normal vehicles go through. :roll:
I would not advice you to try and do it with a sedan …there are spots with think sand and the road is very narrow, thus if there is a vehicle approaching from the front you often have to give way by getting onto the very think sand on the road fringes…. depending on who wins the “chicken” game :twisted:

Post subject: Kruger transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:24 am 

Is there any one who can give my info on the road from Letaba into the Mozambican part of the Kruger.
Is there a road through the Mozambican part up to the sea.
Anyone with info please I need it because I want to plan a trip to the Kruger through the Trans frontier park (Mozambique) to Maputo.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:11 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Why go outside and miss the early light that is so important to photography? The early bird catches the cat...

There is a campsite at Massinger dam called Campismo Aguia Resquira at S23 51.422 E32 00.431 Turn off from main road at S23 48.468 E31 58.969 (WGS84 hddd'mm.mmm').

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Machampane Wilderness Trail
Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:15 pm 

Has anyone done the Machampane Wilderness Trail in Parque Nacional do Limpopo and if so what was the experience like.
Understand you can also book accommodation in this unfenced luxury en-suite tented camp between Friday's and Monday's when there isn't a trail in progress.
The camp is about 35 kms south of the Giriyondo border post in the area that has been restocked by Kruger under an agreement between the two parks.
Hear that they have good animal sightings on foot and that birding is outstanding.
Have you got any feedback for me?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:40 pm 

Hi all, take a look here
http://www.africandream.org/africa/MOZ/ACRixBushMOZ
for the so called 'bush to beach' route from Giriyondo to the Moz coast.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:48 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

francoisd wrote:
I... But on Monday evening on the SA nature program 50/50 they showed an insert of a tour operator that takes people camping in the Mozambique side. Although only low population figures they showed giraffe, impala, zebra, elephant and herds of sable...

They did mention that even though they only translocated 111 (if I remember correctly) elephants the current count at the end of 2007 was about 850. Lots of elephants had moved over by themselves.
The herds of sable are also bigger than the ones in Kruger and are apparently doing very well.

Latest lifers from Kruger NP:
Black Coucal Centropus grillii Swartvleiloerie
Flappet Lark Mirafra rufocinnamomea Laeveldklappertjie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

Have a look at this news item:this news item

It may be of interest to this discussion.

Di

Post subject: Mozambique Camps
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 am 

I'm wondering - does anyone have information to share about the 'Mozambique side' of Kruger? I noticed a couple of new camps were built, but wasn't sure about:

1. Game concentrations compared to Kruger
2. Atmosphere in Moz camps.
3. Road conditions

Any help/adice appreciated!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Some of the latest information:

Roads:
The roads are accessible by either 4x4 or high ground clearance vehicles.
The LNP does not recommend sedans at present.

At present two routes can be used in the park, i.e. firstly the access road between Giriyondo border gate and Massingir.
The second road is the road north, i.e. towards Mapai.

Accommodation:

* Machampane Wilderness Trails Camp.
This is luxury tented accommodation run by private operator and is situated about 30 km from Giriyondo border gate. This includes all meals and guided wilderness walks.
To book there one has to contact the private operator on 021 701-7860 (Marichen).
* Campiso Aguia Pesqueira.
This is a camp operated by the park itself and is situated about 55 km from Giriyondo border gate and about 25 km from Massingir.
t consists of two nodes.
Each node has ablution (showers and toilets) and kitchen (counters and running water) facilities.
The first node is called the overlander and caters for big groups who wish to camp together.
The second node consists of individual, very secluded camp sites.
All the camp sites (the overlander as well as the individual camp sites) have magnificent views of the dam.
There is no electricity in the camp.
At present we are in the process of erecting chalets there as well.
Each chalet will consist of a bathroom en suite and kitchenette and will sleep 2 people and bedding and towels will be provided as well crockery and cutlery for 2, a small two plate stove and a skottel-braai outside.
* Campismo Albufeira. This camp is situated about 70 km from Giriyondo border gate and is at our entrance/exit gate at Massingir. Albufeira consists of both chalets and camping sites.
Each chalet consists of a bathroom en suite, kitchenette, two single beds, bedding, towels, crockery and cutlery, small two plate stove, pots and pans and a skottelbraai outside.
There is electricity at this camp from about 09h00-12h00 and then again from 18h00-22h00.
* Campismo Sandalo.
This is a very basic camp site with showers and toilets on the route north towards Mapai.
* Campismo Nhampfule.
This is basic camp site with showers and toilets and is on the boundary of the park (near Mapai).

You can view the chalets or the view from Aguia Pesqueira on Peace Parks Foundation's website, i.e. http://www.peaceparks.org.
Then log onto the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park.

There no longer appears to be a problem with the bringing in of foodstuffs.
However, beer, hard liquor and fuel appear to be a problem and Customs place quite heavy taxes thereon.

All bookings can be done through limpopo@wol.co.za.
Payments can be made at either our office at Giriyondo border gate (if entering from KNP) or at our head office at Massingir (if entering from Mozambican side) and can be made in SA rands.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:45 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Payments can be made at either our office at Giriyondo border gate (if entering from KNP) or at our head office at Massingir (if entering from Mozambican side) and can be made in SA rands.

Checked that bit for international visitors and such. It is not possible to (prepay) with your creditcard, all payments must be made in cash as you enter the park.

Post subject: Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 pm 

Hi

Can anyone give me some information about traveling to the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park...we would like to travel through the park to Mozambique.

Thanks
MLM

Post subject: Great Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:21 pm 

hi to all the forumites! this is my first post on forum but i have been reading many of your tales, advice, etc. GREAT to have such a vast array of knowledge at my fingertips!

please advise - we are spending 6 nights camping in kruger - various camps - at the end of march. we are quite familiar with the inns and outs of kruger but haven't any info on limpopo trans frontier .

considering going to limpopo transfrontier park, entering at giriyondo gate.

what can we expect? we are seasoned campers so the rough stuff doesn't bother us, what facilities are available if any, etc? what are the roads like?

Post subject: Re: Great Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:06 pm 

Hi Groenie and welcome.
You may want to consider a few nights at Campismo Aguia Pesqueira, roughly translated as 'place of the fish eagle'.
It overlooks Massingir dam and has 10 neat individual camp sites, all with views of the dam and clumps of beautiful Lebombo Ironwood forest surrounding it.
There are ablution facilities and a kitchen. It is approx 60 kms (can`t quite remember exact distance) from Giriyondo. There is a sign on the main through-road.
I assume you have a suitable car because the roads are bad with patches of fairly deep sand.
If you intend going to the coast, the tar road starts at Massingir but it is also very bad with lots of potholes.
There is another track that leads north-east towards Mapai but I would recommend at least two cars for that one.
Keep in mind it can still rain at the end of March and that track will not be easy.
Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Great Limpopo Transfrontier park
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:53 am 

Hi Oryx, is there a website to see what camps/facilitates are available in the GLTP.?
We are also thinking of going to check it out in December and would like to know what they have to offer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next