Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:27 am 

Im not sure I understand nor like what little I do understand of the situation between the Kruger and Limpopo Park.

I was reading about the carnivore project and how very bad the snare problem is in the Limpopo Park. Dead lions, wild dogs with snare wounds and injured elephants. This is not even taking into account what is just poached with a gun.

Villages, cattle etc. TB control......Isn't this extremely risky for our wild life and what is the sense of it all when we can't even control poaching inside the Kruger yet, never mind monitor our neighbours endeavours?

Shouldn't the fence be closed until the Limpopo Park has reached certain millstones in conservation and security for wild life? Until certain conditions are met. We are just sending our wildlife into a very uncertain future and what looks like immediate risk for most?

Confused :shock: :| :?

Post subject: Girondo to Xai-Xai
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:02 am 

Hello! My husband and I have booked to stay in Letaba on the night of the 27 December 2013 and then drive via the Girondo Border to Xai-Xai on the 28th. I am wondering if anyone else on the forums might be doing the same journey as we are a bit concerned about travelling alone with the current situation in Mozambique. :( Will be returning the same way on the 2 January 2014. Not sure if I am being paranoid as Xai-Xai is pretty far away from where the trouble is but better safe than sorry.

Post subject: Re: Girondo to Xai-Xai
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:08 am 

Clairy, I would monitor the situation there and make a decision nearer to the time.
Also consult with the officials in that country as to how safe it will be even with company.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:22 am 

Hi Elsa, we have to pay the rest of the deposit by Friday :hmz: so trying to figure out whether to cancel or not.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:34 am 

Its a bit of a difficult decision I know? :?
For myself I would rather be safe than sorry but its your choice.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 am 

Clairey, my tuppence worth
We have relatives who live in Phalabora, they have business interests near Xai-Xai and go there fairly regularly.
Last time we spoke they said although much further they prefer to go via Nelspruit and enter at Komatipoort to Mozambique rather than through the park. This was before the present unrest started.
Not only is it quicker, more relaxing, but better for their vehicle as far as wear and tear goes.
At the moment things are still fairly quiet and safe in the South of Mozambique, but your trip is still some time away, and things can change for the worse overnight. Of course it could also change the other way and become perfectly safe, who knows.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:58 am 

Thanks for the info Sneeugans
We will have to use the Girondo border as we are staying in Letaba before Mozambique and Olifants and Talamati after. :D
But we will monitor the situation before our trip, hopefully everything calms down and everyone can have a stress free festive season and holdiay :pray:

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:48 pm 

Hi, we will also be traveling to the Mozambique coast via Giryondo border.
I am concerned about the road conditions as we will not be traveling in convoy and also towing a Venter trailer ( not an off road trailer). Please advise if you have travelled this route recently.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:05 pm 

Hi PetrusK

I do know u requested info on the route of anyone having travelled it recently , however I can fill u in on my experience earlier this year.

I was in Moz in Jan this year and we had decided to enter RSA via Limpopo Park and spend a night at Albufeira camp just pass the Massingir dam and then on to Satara.

We were travelling just at the beginning of Jan a week before the flooding that hit Moz. What I do know is the the road from Xai Xai to Massingir esp. the Chokwe stretch is really pothole riddled for about 15kms. It will take a fair while to negotiate but it can be done without too many difficulties. After Chokwe the road to the park is good and u shouldn't have any problems.Just keep any eye out for cattle, goats etc.

You will enjoy your trip though.

Maybe others who've been there recently can provide more accurate info.

Post subject: Giriyondo Border crossing
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello fellow forumites:

I will be spending 9 nights in KNP in early May. I have always wanted to travel into the Mozambique side of the park, but so far have not had the opportunity. I was hoping that this might be my chance since I will be traveling alone.

Satara is the furthest north that I will be staying. Does anyone know if it is possible to drive from Satara to Giriyondo and back in a day? How smooth is the crossing at Giriyondo and is it even worth doing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Daron

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Post subject: Re: Giriyondo Border crossing
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:28 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Not sure about the distance as we left from Mopani which is, of course, much closer. The crossing was uneventful if rather slow.
On the Moz side the first thing you will notice is the vegetation and how different it is to the KNP side. The lack of large herbivores (mainly elephants) means there is much more standing large trees and it is quite attractive. However the number of animals we saw we could count on one hand (and we traversed right across the park) and they were extremely skittish.

The road to the border was rather corrugated and cars tend to speed on it. (Including staff who we observed going at a rate of knots).

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 am 

Hi Daron

We did the crossing in December last year, we stayed 1 night in Letaba and then used the border to drive to Xai Xai. We use the border again on the way back and stayed on in the park.
We saw 1 impala on the way through and nothing on the way back. There are villages in the Mozambique side of the park so we saw a lot of locals milling about and some kids asking for money on the side of the dirt roads.

If memory serves me correctly it was about R400 to enter the park for 1 vehicle and 2 people. The border crossing was very smooth and quick other than some of the military guys checking out the contents of our car and then asking for a cold drink ( not sure if they were aiming for a bribe :hmz: but we made sure we always had a couple of cold cokes in the car so we had no issues) In my opinion you are better off spending time in the Kruger park.

Claire

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks Claire and three dogs. I really was just hoping to do the crossing to get the Mozambique stamp in the passport and add it to the list of places entered. Still trying to decide how feasible it is

Kruger May 6-15, 2014
Satara May 6-10
Skukuza May 10-12
Crocodile Bridge May 12-15

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:39 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I would then swop one of your nights for Letaba. swop 10th Satara for Letaba, then 11th for Satara and lose 1 night from Skuks. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I presume you will have a hire car so you will need to pay a cross border fee to the hire company and get permission to enter Mozambique. You will need to have the documents with you at the border. I think you also need to pay some sort of insurance thing for the car on the Moz. side from memory?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next