SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bats at Skukuza
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

SamDrake wrote:
Does anyone know if the Bats at Skukuza have been moved? Was there last week and no bats were to be seen.....

SamDrake,

The bats canot be "moved". The will mearly find a new roost, but i doubt this. It is possible that they have not yet returned from their winter feeding areas yet, and may have only reached the northern parts and middle parts of Kruger.

unfortunately i am not heading down to Skkukuza now, but will be doing research in ohter parts of the park. Will let you know what i find ;)

Batmad
SANParks Forums Minister of Bat Related Issues

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:10 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'll be very sad if they moved. I hope they come back because I love sitting and having lunch there while looking at those bats.
By the way what type of bats are they?

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

As far as i know its a mixed roost of Peters and Walhbergs Epualetted Fruit Bat :D
I would personally like to go do some research on them, taking measurements and what not to see exactly witch percentage of the population is Peters and witch is walhbergs, as these bats can only be separated by the amount of palatal ridges inside their mouth.

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Does anyone have any info about the bats. Jan was distraught that they were missing. It is noticable that there are tables under where they used to roost. Is this a deliberate act by someone to remove them? They have been there previous Decembers, and were there mid October.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 am 

Surely not normal??? If they did return and were seen early in December - with babies - (as mentioned by Tilla-P) and then suddenly "disappeared", I'm afraid that there might be more to the story... perhaps the Hospitality Manager at Skukuza could advise?

Batmad - do you agree with me there?

I SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENTS IN KRUGER NATIONAL PARK!

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:53 pm 

This is starting to sound very strange..... :hmz:

especially if the tables have been placed in the middle?

We have been there in Feb/Mar and May/June and never not seen them hanging in there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 am 

Thanks all!

My folks were there earlier in the week prior to my arrival and said they saw only one bat hanging under that thatches. When I was there in early November there were plenty hanging about.

Quite strange really.

Batmad, it would be great if you manage to get further feedback for us on this...

Sam

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Guys i havent a clue as to why the bats arent there.....if someone could posssibly give me the contact details of the skukuza hospitality manager?? i shall give her a ring after my Kruger trip.

Regards,

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We visited Skukuza during July 2010 and the bats in the lapas were gone. When we vivited 17 - 24 Dec 2010, there were 3 mums with babies in the lapa nearest to the river.

17/12/2014-01/01/2015

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 am 

Zorilla wrote:
My 'Old Man' and I were in Kruger mid-December and also commented on the fact that there were no bats under the lapas. We did notice one bat that flew under the lapa, but as soon as he tried to 'roost' he flew out again.

As an architect my mind is continuously working, trying to figure things out, finding new possibilities and as a result my ever inquisitive mind got to work :thumbs_up: !!On closer inspection we found these little white gadgets fitted to the top of the timber roof supports of the lapa. We were thinking that these could be possible devises which could give off some type of pulse, chasing the bats away? It was funny that the one bat that we did see try and roost under the lapa flew out as soon as he got to a point close to these gadgets.

Not sure if there is any truth to our theory :tongue: , but maybe someone more in-the-know could reply and enlighten us on where the bats have gone, and what the little white gadgets are!!

SURELY NOT!!!!! In a prime wildlife conservancy???? :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 am 

I do hope that Batmad will be able to get the answer first-hand.

Zorilla, your description sounds as if it possibly could be (an electronic?) device that transmits high frequency sound, which is sometimes used to ward off vermin. Can't think of any other similar kind of gadget that would have such a profound effect on bats... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am 

Was there yesterday, the white gadgets that are under the roof at the Skukuza Cafeteria, where the bats used to hang out are chlorine tablets, the same ones you use in your pool. Make your own deductions......

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:58 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

If the bats were willfully driven away, we demand to know on whoese authority it was done :evil: :big_eyes:
Batmad, we need you!

1-6 May '13

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Quote:
I spoke to Julio Balona this morning and he put me onto Tim Snow of EWT. He gave me a totally different perspective on this issue - and I have to say, not quite what I had hoped to get!:

He said the tablets they used at the Skukuza Cafeteria, is probably something that gives off phosphene gas. This is usually used as a deterrant for moles but works well in driving bats away to another roost. He also made mention that, in terms of hygiene, the bats at the cafeteria posed a challenge for management... He went further to say that it is far better than to kill the bats and this method is quite humane...

I dont agree with what the Shingwedzi management have done. The bats are part of the wildlife, and we intruded into THEIR home, not the other way around. The birds to post a hygiene problem, and are no different to the bats, I personally believe that they should have contacted a bat group or organization or even me before doing this. Because now they have lost a huge tourist attraction as well as some precious little mammals, who most probably even had babies at the time.

Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I think the bats eventually became too many. As for difference between the birds and bats, the birds are not sitting above the area where people are eating. The chances of them then depositing on the food or plates or into drinks or even on people waiting to have their meal are more unlikely than the bats were. I am pretty sure if the birds roosted in the roof where the bats are, a similar fate will await them.