Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Tsetse fly
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:23 pm 

Hi there!

Today we went for our Malaria prevention pills for our visit in September. The lady who advised us told us not to drive slowly with our windows open, because tsetse flies are attracted by the dust that is generated by driving over (dirt) roads.
As you all know, we have to drive slowly in the park. But by keeping our windows down we would miss out on so many potential sightings. So what to do?

Did anybody have bad experiences with tsetse flies in Kruger? Or knows someone who has?

The lady who advised us was pretty serious about this. So we thought we just ask you guys! :)

Thanks for all your replies!!

Kind regards,
Ralph and Lenny

Post subject: Re: Tsetse fly
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Welcome to the forums!

The tsetse fly you don't have to worry about at all, they do not occur in Kruger.
This is where you do find them:

As you can see that is well above Kruger.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the information DuQues! She got us quite worried! So we don't know where her information came from... :huh:
We thought she was pretty well informed about the other subjects.
Thanks again!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

She was obviously correct in her knowledge of Tsetse flies, but not very good at Geography!! :whistle: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

It's a mistake I've heard before in The Netherlands....

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:02 pm 

If it was the GGD, they are still making the same mistakes and still use the same info that they tried to give me 9 years ago. :wall: :wall: :slap: :slap: :huh: :huh:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:50 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

As I said, I think that they need a lesson in Geography........like where exactly South Africa is!!! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:31 pm 

I've read in many places that the Tsetse fly used to occur in the Kruger region. How did it die out, and is it possible for it to return?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:59 pm 

Well the boundries of Animal are always difficult to draw. Of course will be a slight possibility that they occur, but the probabaility is very low. please keep that in mind. Tse tse flights occur in Moc and that is not far away from Kruger to say they will not occur there is in my oppinion not quite correckt. But plaese don´t worry about them.... .

The reasons why animals die out and come is very komplex, changes in climate enviromental changes can be a couse. A lift e.g. in a car or plane can also be possible. A couple of years ago I heard a Story that Malaria flights were taken from RSA to GErmany via SAA. possible is everyhing.

One thing you need to know, the stiches of a tsetse Fly are very painfull and they only can infeckt you if the full amount of Venom gets inside you. So to be infected is not that easy. I have informed myself 2006 when I went to Tanzania - Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater.

The most people die not becaiuse of tse tse the most people die because of malaria and they def. occur in Kruger. Keep that in mind.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:14 am 

The wildlife decimation in the area started by hunting was completed by rinderpest, a virulent disease of cattle and wildlife that originated in Asia and swept through eastern and southern Africa between 1896 and 1898, killing about 95 percent of the cattle and related antelope species, such as Buffalo, in the areas affected by the disease. Ironically, with the rinderpest epidemic and demise of the cattle and wildlife, the Tsetse fly was also eradicated in the Lowveld. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:27 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The only place where I have encountered Tsetse flies was in Kafue National Park in Zambia. They stay in forest and not savanna areas. They are not attracted by the dust from a gravel road but they love dark moving objects. So I found out when on our way to a camp in Kafue. As soon as we entered the forested area, a swarm of tsetses appeared. We were travelling at about 30km/h but the tsetses kept up with us, looking for a gap to enter the vehicle. Some managed to get in and bit us. The one that I killed left a blood mark the size of a 50 cent coin. The folks at the gates are always very reluctant to get up when one approaches the gate because as soon as they start to move, the tsetses are upon them.

According to wildlife experts, the tsetse flies are an ally of wildlife in that area because they keep cattle farmers out.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
According to wildlife experts, the tsetse flies are an ally of wildlife in that area because they keep cattle farmers out.

Of course man upsets the balance - nature will bite back .

Return the tsetse fly , remove fancy "big corporation enriching" devices , amongst the many , medicine & genetic modification , and restore the human population balance before its too late .

Or is it too late ?

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:10 pm 

@ Rooiies

I have done different experiences. I me Tse Tse flies in Serengeti. During that time the whole Area was dry und dusty. But they did occur. If you compare the habitat of serengeti or Selous in comparision to Kruger you will find out that the habitat is similar.

@ Ndloti
intresting Question :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Malealea wrote:
Well the boundries of Animal are always difficult to draw. Of course will be a slight possibility that they occur, but the probabaility is very low. please keep that in mind. Tse tse flights occur in Moc and that is not far away from Kruger to say they will not occur there is in my oppinion not quite correckt. But plaese don´t worry about them.... .

Tsestse Flies occur no where near Kruger. Like the eradication of the vector mosquito that spread Malaria in Europe a long time ago, so has the Tsetse been wiped out in most of Southern Africa. Mozambique borders Kruger yes, but it is a huge country so you cant say that means they can easily come back, they occur a good 700- 1000km from Kruger.
Some of the closest areas you will find them to KNP is in the Zambezi River Valley and from there on the highway you will see the Tsetse control zone.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

A bit of trivia. One of the ways they used to wipe out tsetses is by using a mechanical bull, similar to those at rodeos. It is a plastic, dark coloured bull with slits on the side and rocked via batteries. The tsetses would enter the side of the bull through the slits but then they cannot figure out how to get out again. The wardens would then kill them with insecticides.