SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: discovering Kruger in a Motor Home
Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:02 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Interesting idea.
I'd be worried about maneuverability and visibility in a large motor home though.
Difficulty in reversing etc.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We picked the Motor Home up in Gauteng and drove to KNP.
Most of the hire companies will allow you to pick up in Nelspruit at an additional fee (a few thousand rand), which we thought was to much.

Driving there was not a problem however you cannot exceed 100 Km/hour so it takes a bit longer.
You are also not allowed to drive at night but we left at about 5am and after two stops on the way was at the Malelane gate at about 10:30.

We paid normal car toll fees.
We paid the slightly higher rate which had unlimited Kilometers and also full insurance with zero excess. The vehicle was very economical diesel wise.
We filled up on pickup and then only again in Satara on the third day and it wasn't empty then. (Sorry, can't remember after how many Km.)

The vehicle is big and it takes a bit of time to get used to maneuvering it but my SO managed fine and became an expert at 3 point turns especially when an elephant decided that he didn't like us and wouldn't let us pass. :)

Visibility was good, huge side mirrors and the big window at the back so no problem there.
In the camping areas obviously you need someone to keep a lookout for low hanging branches etc.

Massimo I will PM the company we used.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:47 pm 

My SO has been wanting to do this, Massimo and it does sound appealing 8)
Great info and tips from you, Bomsevrou ! :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 am 

@Bomsevrou ~ First i would like to say thank you for all the great information that you have given us.
I think that you have all given us great tips and we are truly great full for it!
Will let you know when my next trip to Kruger will be and it will be in a motor home. :dance: .

You said that you went in a 5 sleeper.
Is it nice and big inside for 4 adults?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:55 am 

I fully agree with Bomsevrou concerning her comments regarding a motor-home.
We think motor homing the Kruger Park is the absolute utmost way of doing it.
In our long association with Kruger we have visited in all the various ways, starting in the 50`s by tenting it. Then from the 60`s we visited in various caravans until we acquired a Companion motorhome in the new millennium.
Moving to a townhouse complex meant having to sell our motor home, still my biggest regret.
Our Companion did not have power steering which did make manoeuvrings a problem in some caravan parks, but never in Kruger where the sites are big, excepting L.S. of course.
Our home had a large futon above the cab, my favourite sleeping place, with a huge opening fanlight, ideal for viewing from a high position where this was permitted.
As Bomsevrou said there are so many positives, they completely outweigh the few negatives by motorhoming, as long as you do a bit of pre-planning, buying the beer before you pull out the awning for instance.
We love the camping side of Kruger where it is so informal and friendly, easy to make friends and mix with your neighbours.
We are however now forced to go into the bungalows, which is also nice, as long as we can still go to our little heaven on earth.
Sneeugans

Unread postPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

About 15 years ago we had a motorhome (the old VW one) and we used it to go to KNP on a regular basis.
For me it was ideal, because I had 3 small boys (6, 3 and 2 years old) and with that it was great!
Our camper had a window that could roll down in the door on the side of the camper and I still remember Roaneric (who went with us one year) standing with the window open, spotting for animals.
She spotted a lion in a ditch, that nobody else could see, but when standing at the door you could see it clearly.
We used to drive in the morning till about 10h00, then stopping at a dam with some nice trees and relaxing till about 14h30 before returning to camp.
We made lunch, had the fridge on and the porta potty was also available.
Plus the running water (just remember to fill up the tank before leaving).
We had the most awesome sightings with our camper ... and then it got stolen ... :evil:

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm 

Finding this topic very interesting as we are expecting our new Discover4 in October. :D
We had vehicle disasters on our last two trips to the bush so after much consideration we chose a Motorhome, as our replacement and are selling our Imagine Van( which is fantastic) and never let us down...but just feel the time has come for a little more comfort and ease of moving camp.
What sold it to my SO was the fact that he can drive off early morning while I'm still asleep :thumbs_up:
As you can imagine he is the early riser :roll:
So now who knows where I'll be when I wake up :o
Last year we also saw a couple at a picnic site who then parked under the shade and had some shut eye... oh so simple to snooze.....now we previously have spent a lot of time at camp as we enjoy it.
This will now mean more time on the road but I'm sure we will find a quiet spot or two to park at...especially in the North :)
After looking at all the new caravans this year we have decided on no more towing and want to stream line all the stuff!! we take along.
So our beloved Kruger ...here we come and lets see what changes we have to make.
A big factor was that at times SO can work on his PC at Skukuza and then we can zip out to other camps at weekends...and so have more days there.

Balule 3 days
Satara 7 days
Lower Sabie 7 days
Skukuza 3 days
Berg en dal 3 days

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:22 pm 

I asked the motorhome company and they said by no means are we allowed on any sand roads ... :hmz:
No s100 and other sand roads...
Now what to do ... I can see why less people do it is that it works out expensive as one pays for the van and then still for accommodation.
But will still see.
Hope to get some more people with their experience with this type of accommodation

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:20 pm 

Thats odd saying no s100 as we have been told by manufacturers that all Kruger Roads are ok.
I know people who have done most of Namibia right up to Caprivi and back through Chobe and lots of Moz so cannot see why...unless it maybe a hiring/insurance issue :hmz: We will definately do the s100
Also seen Motorhomes in the Kgadahadi ..now that really suprised me :o

Balule 3 days
Satara 7 days
Lower Sabie 7 days
Skukuza 3 days
Berg en dal 3 days

Unread postPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

They specifically exclude KNP from the sand road rule.
Read the terms and conditions carefully.
I think it states on most that traveling on sand roads in the Kruger is permitted.
We did and no problems (did the S100 and others).

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:51 am 

Hey guys, this is what i got from the company via email:

Yes you can drive to Kruger Park in our Campers.
They are not 4x4 vehicles and definitely are not for any of the sand roads .
The back windows do not open, only the two side front windows.

If i had one I would also go on the sand roads, that's were you can park off under a nice big tree and relax and not to mention the wildlife.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 am 

I think you should ask them if they are permitted on "gravel" roads.

Massimo, I see from the response you received that they made specific reference to the vehicles not being 4x4, and can not travel on sand roads.
Many sand roads around the KZN coast and Moz require 4x4 as they are basically dune roads.
I have a feeling this guy is referring to these types of roads.

I honestly don't see why they won't allow you to travel on gravel roads. :|

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:02 am 

I went on the website and you can leave a comment or ask a question about the motor home that you would like to hire.
So I asked if one is allowed on Kruger park sand roads and if only the front 2 windows open or are there other windows that one could open and that was his reply.
I do think that going on the sand roads are not going to be a problem as 99% of them are pretty good shape unless there has been a lot of rain.

But just thought i would post the reply that i got from the company.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:35 am 

Going by camper in Kruger is really great.
From 1998 till 2006 we went to SA and Nam. by camper 2 times each year and is was really more than great!!
It was fantastic.
We always hired campers from Bobocampers in Jo'burg.
And just as you said, one can drive or make lots and lots of pictures and while the other can read books or take a small nap 8) .
In Kruger we drove almost every road there is.
No problem also the roads closed for caravans.
Take them slowly and don't hurry.
Only when you drive on corrugated roads it can be a bit of a problem.
Everything shakes and makes a lot of noise.
And there are some bad roads (e.g. Sweni road) well we put those roads on our 'black list', but most of the roads are really no problem at all.
And as you said you have everything with you.
We were once on the road to Nwanetsi where we saw a pride of lions (about 22 with cubs and big males) we waited for almost 5 hours before they stood up and walked on the road to a waterhole.
No problem, you have your own toilet, cold beer, and all the food and whatever.
So it is a very good way of explore Kruger.
The only problem can be..... a camper is large...... and when there is a sighting of lions or a leopard.....well it can be busy and finding a good place to make photo's can be a little difficult but again.... you have all the time and most of the time other people leave sooner.
The campers we hired had a big window at the right side and you can open it.
My wife took pic's from that side of the camper and you can even put a tripod behind the window.
All the pictures on our website (south Africa Kruger and Pilanesberg till 2005 ) and Namibia 2005 are taken right out of the camper.
I don't know if there are 'new ' restrictions but make a call to Bobocampers of check their website.
We always have had good experiences with Bobocampers.
If you have more questions let me know!.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:24 am 

Planning trip for later in the year.
Luckily don't need to rent and worry about their rules.
Gravel roads should not be a problem.
We did Kgalagadi with motorhome - no issues.
You must just not be in a hurry.
We have a home made one that some body else build.
Turning circle as easy as a normal car

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next