Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Inconsiderate behaviour by safari vehicle driver
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:21 pm 

New article in the Beeld today, the 29th May 2014 - SANPARKS employee driving large safari vehicle behaving in a not so animal friendly manner - in my opinion as a experienced field guide operating in the Kruger and Pilanesberg. http://www.news24.com/Travel/Multimedia ... s-20140528

In hind sight you are right, I should have also focused on the other road users, but maybe instead of mentioning a Parks employee, rather called the subject - Poor behaviour by a safari vehicle operator - and then read the responses ....

Last edited by Nkambeni on Fri May 30, 2014 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Poor behaviour by SANPARKS employee - Round 2
Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm 

In my experience the guides driving the vehicles are the worst drivers in the park!!! Especially the guides from the private lodges they are disgusting in their road etiquette and rude when you approach them. In that sense I am glad I cant afford the private lodges as I would be forced to sit in a vehicle with them each day being raced from one sighting to the next.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Are we sure this is a Sanparks vehicle and not a private outfit?? Cannot make out from the video clip. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That appears to be a Sanparks game drive vehicle to me - the one that seats about 28 people and it was empty. We have often seen these vehicles during the day driving between camps. Sadly in Sept last year one came down the H4-2 at such speed that it nearly wiped us out! These vehicles should not be utilised by staff in my humble opinion simply as a means of getting between camps during the day and it is totally unacceptable that the sighting was ruined in this way. Clearly the person driving this vehicle was utterly clueless at the wonderful interaction that tourists were witnessing and they should under no circumstances have driven through!

03.10.14 - 10.10.14 Ngwenya Lodge
The addiction is fed once again

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
What a pity that such a great sighting was spoiled by that vehicle :cry:

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

The saddest part of this whole report is the fact that both the media, and members of this forum, are highlighting the SANparks officials as being the lawbreakers in this case. When, infact, no mention has been made of the tourists who blatently open their door to stepout of their vehicle and hang out of their sunroof as clearly evidenced in the video.

Having viewed this video, it is my opinion that again, unfortunately, is yet another effort to cast SANpark officials in a negative light. The vehicle was not speeding, it did not blatently force the animals off the road, and in fact stopped well before the sighting.

As tourists, we often forget that SANparks officials need to move through the park for countless reasons. They unfortunately cannot sit and wait for many minutes and watch animals standing around. And in this case, quite possibly were moving a gamedrive vehicle (used by many selfish tourists) between camps, so that us ungrateful, spoilt visitors will not miss our afternoon sunset drive.

If we were all as perfect as we like to think we are, we would stop complaining about trivial matters, but rather we would be highlighting our fellow visitors shortcomings, who are actually the ones here breaking the rules. And not the SANpark officials, who it appears in this case, perhaps were only doing their jobs.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:58 pm 

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:
Have just looked at the video...
1. The elephant seems to have gotten tired of playing games with the rhinos, and is clearing off to the left, which perhaps gave the truck driver a clue that the show was over...
2. The driver DID wait to see what was going on (I have had a delivery vehicle race past and scatter a cheetah and her 3 cubs off the tar like leaves in the wind) before he carefully started edging past.
3. He could have waited a bit longer to see if the rhinos were going to do something interesting, and that was not good.
4. The tourists in the back were transgressing the park laws more than anybody else.
5. Have seen MUCH worse behaviour from tourists and green 4x4s at lion sightings.
Lets sweat the big stuff like officials carting poachers and guns around in the park, and give this man a break -- he may have had something seriously important to do, and the action was (mostly) over...

Fascinating behaviour from the rhinos who could have been crushed by the elephant!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hösten

Agree 100% with the previous two posts, according to me the driver did not transgress any park rule.

The tourists in the back did transgress the rules.

Maybe the driver did talk the these tourists to get back in their vehicle, who ignore him and he then spoil the sighting so to force them to get back in and move on?.

The question jumping to mind is:
1. When did this happen and where?
2. Did they report the incident at the nearest camp or gate?
3. Did they take down the tourists vehicle registration details?

If not then why post (report) this on multi media and not the relevant authorities in a acceptable time frame.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:24 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Agreed, bad tourist, but the driver seemed fine to me.

Post subject: Re: Inconsiderate behaviour by safari vehicle driver
Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:00 am 

Have to agree with the last couple of posts, dont't think the driver did much wrong.
The tourists on the other hand are idiots.
I am no expert in animal behaviour, but what I think transgressed is that the rhinos wanted to cross the road and the elephant was in the way, you know have the two largest land mammels in Kruger in a stand off and agitated with each other. Then a mere 20 meters away the tourists get out of the car to take pictures. They blocked the road as well.
When the elephant did move off the road it opened up the path way for the rhinos and that is why they moved off as well.

What the driver of the Sanparks vehicle did do wrong was to not fine the tourists

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 23 September 2014
Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Perhaps the driver did report the tourist.?

Or perhaps, like many of the SANPark officials I have encountered, they simply adopted an attitude of understanding and fairness towards this lawbreaker. I do not for one moment believe SANParks are there to ruin our holidays by policing us like kids, but in my personal experiences they have always preferred to try uphold the law, with minimal negative confrontation.

And I believe that in most cases, a friendly warning carries more of a message than a slapped fine. All a fine does is turn people negative towards the park in general.

And its when people become rebellious and are given reason to hold grudges, that they really go out of their way to break laws.

Your thoughts on this may differ from mine, so please, feel free to disagree.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:09 pm 

Did I ever get over excited at a sighting and broke the rules?? Absolutely, nobody is perfect and if I tell you that I have obeyed every rule in Sanparks all the time I will be lying to every person on this forum.
Would I have been upset had a Sanpark official seen me and fined me?? Not at all. If you are willing to break the rules you must be willing to pay the consequences. It is like people speeding and complaining that they receive a fine.
If officials fine more people on the spot, less rule breaking will take place.
I can recall sitting at Nkhulu picnic spot watching guests feeding monkeys in front of officials and nothing done, despite a clear warning all over that spot fines will be given. 5 minutes later those exact same monkeys attacked a young boy (guessing about 10 years old) because he did not want to share what he was eating with them. Fortunately myself and a friend was nearby to chase the monkeys away from this boy.

They do not necessarily have to give a fine, and I understand where you are coming from but not even a warning was given in this case.

Lower Sabie 20 September 2014 - 23 September 2014
Berg-en-dal 1 January 2015 - 4 January 2015
Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015

Unread postPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Grantmissy wrote:
PietSkiet I agree with you. Nobody is untouchable or above the law or the rules and regulations.

Grantmissy, I ask with the utmost respect, but how is it you agree with Pietskiet, and then post a statement that 'nobody is above the law' ...when he has openly admitted to have transgressed those very laws himself?

Unread postPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:29 pm 

Hmm.
I sometimes wonder with these kind of clips whether Sanparks is missing a trick.
So much can be done to make these clips educational, and an aid to better understanding and behaviour.
An official Sanparks narrative and Do's and Don'ts, wrongs and could-do-better, around clips like this would really help educate, all.

For what its worth, in my humble view.
1. Animals have right of way.
2. The tourists in the far vehicle were risking disturbing the animals by protuding from their vehicle and could better have parked their vehicle to one side or other and at a better viewing angle.
3. The SanParks vehicle approached too close in the first instance (if it is just staff then stop short of the tourist vehicle, not squeeze past).
4. The SanParks vehicle did not wait out the sighting (Animals have right of way my friend). It paused a mere 20 seconds.
5. I do not believe the SanParks vehicle turned its engine off (Surely SanParks are on duty all the time and should be exemplars of best practice, so others with less experience can follow their lead and good example).

Well .. it is what it is, but plenty of lessons in there.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 pm 

Given the language used I would have been ashamed to post that video if I was the video taker ...

BTW guides do not have the legal power to give spot fines.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:22 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Forumites

According to Berg en Dal Rest Camp Hospitality Services Manager, the vehicle was driven by the head guide. He arrived at the sighting and upon realising that the elephant and the rhinos were in the middle of the road, he stopped his car for a while. When the elephant started chasing the rhinos off the road he tried to negotiate his way through as the rhinos were going in and out of the bush and that is when the guests complained that he was disrupting the sighting. The head guide informed the Hospitality Services Manager and said he apologised.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next