Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cry, our precious rivers.
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
I did notice in my last trip in May that the Letaba river was very low despite a rainy season.

A river that concerns me greatly is the Limpopo and the impending threat of mining.

Post subject: Re: Cry, our precious rivers.
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:30 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Members of the Endangered Wildlife Trust have done a research last week of the Olifants river and was saddened by their findings. Every year, fewer and fewer birds were spotted along the 55 km stretch of the Olifants where the research was done.

Only 3 breeding pairs of Pel's Fishing Owls were spotted, while 3 years ago there were between 5 and 10 pairs. During 2007 they spotted 30 Goliath Herons along the river but this year they only found 2. They have also seen less Kingfishers than before.

Of the more common species like the Great Whit Egret, Yellowbilled Stork, Spoonbill and Darter, not a single specimen were seen. Only 2 Fish Eagle nests were found.

Very sad news

Post subject: Rivers : info / news
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 am 

If you are in the park today or know of anyone in the park, spread the word to get to the Olifants River. The water board at Phalaborwa have opened the sluice gates at the barrage at 03H00 this morning. There will be huge volumes of water making it's way down the river and it should make for good viewing. :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: "NEWS FLASH" Olifants River
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am 

Thanks Sprocky,
so anyone lucky enough to be in the Olifants area in the next week should be in for a spectacular sight.
Hope someone can post pics.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:17 am 

One could see Hippo's flock together to get away from the force of the water

Or see the normally complacent river turn into a raging bull :lol:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:37 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Just a pity that the Massingir dam will prevent a good flush of the Olifants river system. Lots have been reported about the poor state of the Olifants, with bird, fish and other water dependent species on the decline.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I still think that this is the year Kruger floods again...Letaba and Olifants have burst its banks...

2014 Birding Big Year- A 365 Day quest for 800 Species of Southern African Birds
Stiffnecks Member

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:10 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

wow - that's magnificent. anyone going here- enjoy the views. :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm 

Here are a few shots that I took earlier this afternoon.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Nice ones sprocky
Never saw a hippo in the flood

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just a quick question on hippos and crocodiles in the river at the moment, I have read and heard that they are able to somehow know if a river will flood and will move out of the river for safety. Are they now vulnerable to humans opening flood gates and creating their own "flood"? Will they have warning of the oncoming waters and will they react the same way as in a "normal" flood? Would anyone guess what impact this man made flood will have on the crocodiles in the gorge?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Rooies wrote:
I am no fundi, but the following have been recorded about animals' ability to predict possible disaster. During WW2, 2 Germans fled into the Namib desert to prevent them from being arrested and put in an internment camp. They found a place in the Kuiseb canyon to stay. One day they were sitting next to a pool in the river bed, when suddenly the frogs started to scramble out of the water and move to higher ground. It was very strange to them, but an hour or so later, a wall of water came gushing through the canyon an swept everything in its path away. Apparently, there was a cloud burst many kilometres upstream. Somehow the frogs could detect that problems were on their way and therefor escaped the danger. The Afrikaans name of the book is "Vlug in die Namib" There is an English version, but I keep on forgetting it.

According to Parks officials, no animals were killed by the 2000 floods.

As far as the crocs are concerned, it was found that toxins from outside the park get washed down by the floods, and when the waters reaches the Massingir dam, the flow stops and the toxins then sink down to the bottom of the dam. Fish then swims through a curtain of toxins, and when the crocs eat the fish, they die.

Thanks Rooies, I am guessing the animals can sense when there was a change in the atmospheric conditions, and that is possibly how they would know if there is a flood coming. I do wonder that if there was no storm a few kilometers away, but humans open up dam flood gates, will the animals have warning of the oncoming waters?

I will dispute the claim that no animals were killed during the floods...what were the lions and leopards and hyena's eating at that time.... :tongue: :tongue: , just kidding, I would love to know how they know that. Surely there must have been a few animals caught up in the rushing waters, just like there are always animals caught in a fire?

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:01 pm 
Went over the Olifants on the Highveld yesterday, and seems to have calmed down a lot!

To add to weltenman's original question:

It is unlikely that opening a few gates on an Olifants dam will lead to catastrophic floods...that is why they are opened! :lol:

Plenty animals died in the 2000 floods, BTW! :huh:

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:07 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear All,

Having experienced the 2000 floods and the aftermath, it would be my view that undoubtedly many animals would have died in this largely natural phenomenon. The key words in my sentence being "many", "animals" and "natural phenomenon". Animals would include all the little creatures such as snakes and small mammals. I remember at one of the camps there were countless snakes swimming tiredly after obviously having been flushed out of their homes in and near the river and having been glad to have survived, just lay on the shore to rest after the long swim. Undoubtedly many would have succumbed. The 2000 floods were largely natural in nature and yes, human developments would have played a role in perhaps the timing and extent of the flood. Nature works in cycles and just as, for example hippos and crocodile would die during droughts (eg 1992), some would have succumbed in flood, especially extreme ones such as 2000. So many creatures succumb during the annual advent of fires mainly during the dry season. We shouldn't get too emotional about these things as they are part of nature taking it's course and maintaining that vital balance.

Kind regards.

JOEP

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Thanks Joep for the info. It is always the best to get info from people at ground zero (new term for people at the spot of the action)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next