Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: KNP bans liquor in its public areas
Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:02 pm 

Yes, you can buy drinks in the restaurants and also if you are an overnight visitor can drink at your accommodation.

I am sure the same would apply to the Trails.

The shops in the camps are still selling alcohol but should check your overnight permit first.

Hope this has answered your questions. :D

Kruger - 12th Feb - 20th Feb.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 5:09 pm 

The original communication from SANParks was badly worded which I think has led to some confusion,
the shops etc still sell to overnight visitors (permit should be checked) The concession picnic sites???
not selling alcohol. You can still drink at your overnight accommodation, but not at the swimming pools
(public), in your vehicle or at the bird hides etc. As the trails usually take the guests to a lookout for a sundowner you can have a drink, however if you go overboard you could find your trail ends rather
abruptly!!

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 6:38 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sanyrob.
The use of alcohol is not forbidden on the trails.
You can have as much at the dinner table or around the campfire at night or during the sundowner period as you prefer, my personal opinion is not too much as one goes on a twelve to fifteen km walk early morning and being hung-over spoils it for yourself and for the rest of the group.
Plenty of ice is available as well as cooling facilities.
My advice is take as much fluid with as you can as it is warm and one sweats a lot, so an electrolyte type is food on the hike. Stay away from caffeine type energy drinks as they will cause cramping.
Enjoy your trail it will be an unforgettable experience.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:47 pm 

Hi all,
Peregrine Falcon and myself just back from 16 more wonderful nights in the park and wonderful sightings. We saw all the signs banning alcohol at picnic spots and cerTain areas of the camps. We were not asked specifically about alcohol when entering and leaving the park at Malalane and Phalaborwa gates but were quick to offer our booking form showing we were staying overnight. We didn't see signs in the shops re ban and although we did buy wine and beer were not asked for booking confirmation but as someone mentioned earlier after 6 there should be no day visitors around anyway.
We stayed at Punda Maria over the Easter weekend and did see people drinking in the communal braii area (directly behind a big sign!). We did witness staff asking some of them to stop and didn't hear complaints.
On Easter Sunday at lunch time the Pafuri picnic site was heaving so we carried on to Crooks Corner and when we returned later when all was quiet. Don't imagine Frank would have allowed any illegal drinking anyway!
We spoke to HR Neville Whitehead on Letaba River bridge one evening and he seemed to think the ban was working. (Hi Neville, hope you managed to get all the latecomers back from the lion signting that evening!).
So our conclusion is that things are improving.

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT

KNP SEPTEMBER 2014
4/5 B 'n ' Dal
6 Skukuza
7/8 Tamboti
9/10/11 Shimuwini
12/13/14 Shingwedzi
15/16/17/18/19 Letaba

Unread postPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:10 pm 
Here's bert's link...I don't know why he's so lazy, honestly... :twisted:

The majority of tourists who visited the Kruger National Park (KNP) during the recent Easter holidays responded positively towards the alcohol ban regulation which the park introduced.

There were still a few day visitors who somehow brought alcohol with them at the gates but the majority of visitors did not bring liquor at all, something which management appreciates and would like to thank them for. Some positive feedback was also received from the visitors such as the following.

“I must congratulate you on this decision you took. While I was very concerned about your decision (as per a previous email), my family and I were in the Kruger National Park this weekend and all I can say is what a difference. It was an absolute pleasure to be able to stop at any picnic spot we wanted to (and we stopped at three different ones) and what a pleasure. There was no one loitering around, no thumping music from vehicles, no broken beer bottles and trash lying around. Well done to you and your team”, said one of the regular clients on his email feedback.

Protection Services and Honorary Rangers staff assisted the security personnel at the gates, camps and some picnic spots to police on the matter. No major problems were reported during that busy period.

Compared to last year’s Easter holidays wherein 335 rule violation fines were issued, only 281 fines for speeding and other violations were issued during this year’s Easter. The joint operations which comprised of Protection Services staff, SAPS and SANDF on the roads and other strategic points throughout the park made a huge difference.

“We would like to once again thank all visitors for the improved conduct which led to fewer violations and for responding positively towards the alcohol rule”, concluded the KNP’s Head of Public Relations and Communication, William Mabasa

I must eat humble pie on this one, and congratulations, SANPARKS and HR's and Law enforcement! :thumbs_up: :clap:

Unread postPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
Richprins wrote:
Compared to last year’s Easter holidays wherein 335 rule violation fines were issued, only 281 fines for speeding and other violations were issued during this year’s Easter.

That is really good news. With more enforcement one would expect more fines not less, but with about 85% of last year's, it shows that more people are obeyng the law.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:18 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

As far as I know, the park and ride function has not been activated. Even if it should be implemented, it will only be used on peak days, such as public holidays.

So in essence, it is not something you should worry about in any way.

As a day visitor, you may not use beer in your vehicle, at pick nick sites, etc. You may not bring in any alcohol, even beer. But I am pretty sure that they will serve you alcohol at a restaurant! Not for take away though. If you stay overnight, you may bring in some alcohol and use it at your chalet.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: That is how I understand the alcohol rules as well, Imberbe.

From my confirmation letter "Consumption of alcohol is prohibited in all areas except booked accommodation/camping & restaurants. Day Visitors may not bring alcohol into the Kruger National Park."

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:30 am 

Good to see the warning on the confirmation letter

And, if you want to buy alcohol in a shop its only allowed when you have booked accommodation

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

We noticed a huge difference (for the better) in littering , speeding and bad behaviour after the new alcohol rules came in. :thumbs_up:

We were in the park when these new rules started in March, and had been there at Christmas before they were implemented (Not a nice experience at times!!) :rtm: :rtm:

It is just a shame that law abiding people like Penny who want to get from A to B and choose to travel through the park (what a good idea!!), or enjoy a sundowner (with a designated driver) have to be penalised. :cry:

Still we don't live in a perfect world do we?? :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Richprins wrote:
Ja, guys...don't beat yourselves up!

They aren't really looking out for the normal regular family visitor type thing....

Relax! :whistle:

Exactly....OBEY the RULES but remember...the Park Staff are not fools, they know how to spot potential troublemakers and will use their discretion wisely.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:18 pm 

I for one applaud the new rule and welcome it with open arms.

Firstly if you are just passing through or come for the day, I need to ask what are you about to do with alcohol in your system once you leave the park and are allowed to drive at 120 km / hour again. There are families sharing the road with you.

Secondly I have always enjoyed a drink in the park as much as the next guy, but I have never ever needed a drink to enjoy the park.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:15 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

It appears that the alcohol ban in public places was something that had to be done and I applaud Sanparks for it.

For what it is worth, I would love to sit in a hide and drink a glass of wine while watching the animals come and go, but would have disliked intensely seeing drunken parties and refuse from drunkards littering the Wilderness.

So, it was necessary and according to those that have enjoyed the Park since, has been successful.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:51 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Can say the rule has made a very real difference especially noticeable by the very tranquil day visitor spots on 4 consecutive weekends in KNP . Weekends and public holidays like New yrs Easter etc will thankfully never be the chaos they were sometimes previously :thumbs_up: Dare say it may even result in the probably unintended spinoff of less littering and speeding by inebriated louts?? :hmz: Lets hope ------

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 pm 

Hi Okie,

I do agree with you. You are not allowed to sit in a public place and drink alcohol. I say, that if you sit at a picnic spot or waterhole and have a few beers and drive, it is illegal. You are driving under the influence of alcohol no matter how you look at it.

BTW i also like my glass of wine, but not when i'm driving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next