Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Animal charges – does your vehicle play a role?
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
I would not go in a grey (silver) car to a reserve where there are only male rhinos........

My dad had a 'creamish' Camry. The makers called it 'tusk'. We had a few run ins with eles in it.

Bulls in musth, yes, mMums & calves yes, but I have also seen those relaxed from relatively close in.

Another factor is if the previous car annoyed them, you pay for it, and often sub adults -'teenagers' lik humans like a bit of fun at the expense of others.

We have a red hilux and it seems not to bother anything.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:51 pm 

Elephants dont like cream Toyota Hiluxes, any Landrover, and any noisy Isuzu's. Oh yes VW Jetta's are also not liked. Avis Tazz and other entals also not particularly.

X5 and X6 with large sunrooves, Nissans Landcruisers are still ok.

Joking guys and girls!!! Ele's dont like people who dont respect them!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:47 pm 

What we have found is that often Ellies get irritated with cars who have their headlights on, have seen this on more than one occasion, especially in Winter near gate closing time.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Seems to support my theory that the sudden flash of light from a shiny metal car body or windscreen may cause irritation too.

Have you read the gate leaflet? Do you KNOW the regulations?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I were normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:01 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

That car lights irritate ellies is know since a long time, at least I've known it.
I believe they see the two lights as an immediate danger and react.
Other animals are hypnotized by head lights but ellies seem to react in a totally different way.
On night transfers and safaris in the bush we knew that plains game remained blocked on the road and all you had to do is switch your headlights off for a second or two.
With elephants it was a different matter, you had to switch both lights and engine off for safety.

If I remember well last year there was an ellie chasing cars near Nkulu, those with their lights off had no hassle but the few that had their lights on were chased for a good stretch.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:28 am 

In December on the road between Phalaborwa gate and Letaba an ellie was crossing the road and flapping
ears - obviously quite disturbed about the vehicles around him - we were 3 behind him and 1 coming from the front. The ellie was standing next to the road when suddenly a black Corsa bakkie with a Limpopo registration came screaming past and wow! did he charge. :shock: Everyone else was too scared to move - unfortunately he missed the Corsa(no sympathy for this vehicle). They say ellies don't forget 8) - hope he remembers the Limpopo registration or else all other visitors with black Corsa bakkies are in for a surprise. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 am 

RUMURUTI wrote:
That car lights irritate ellies is know since a long time, at least I've known it.
And yet, on our recent trip we noticed at least half the cars travelling around the park with headlights on, more than we have ever seen before?

I am also pretty sure it is often that a vehicle has just irritated them as in Spaniel's tale which causes them to take it out on others.
We were parked on the S100 last year watching a breeding herd of Ellies in the road, having just left a Lion sighting, when from the opposite direction a safari vehicle from one of the private reserves decided he was going to get his guests to the Lions no matter what and he drove right up to the herd, revving his engine like crazy and even hooted, sending them into a blind panic.
When he got next to us, SO stopped him and asked him what he was trying to achieve, he just laughed at us but when we told him that we had video footage of his stupid act and was going to report him, the smile soon vanished off his face! :twisted:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

:thumbs_up: And did you then report him Elsa

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 pm 

okie wrote:
:thumbs_up: And did you then report him Elsa :hmz:
Oh yes, you bet ya, but never any further feed back despite assurances steps would be taken! :doh:
but hopefully it gave the guide a few sleepless nights or had him wondering where his next job would come from. :?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:54 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Elsa :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :D

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:12 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
It is clear that it is 99,9% the humans inside and outside of the car that is problematic :evil:, not the type of vehicle or the noise that it makes :|.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Some of you may remember my yellow trousers, that I used to use as a yellow ribbon.

It took us a while to realise that this upset some ellies, so we quickly removed it.

They say that ellies are colour blind, so don't know if it was the colour, or the flapping of the material that they didn't like!! :shock:

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Crested Val I am not sure whether a person’s drawers will scare the ellies, maybe as you say the flapping sound of ther material disturbs them.

Groovy wrote:
Ele's dont like people who dont respect them!!!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:24 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I have just come across this thread. Rooies posted about Tsetse flies being attracted to dark colours. This is true and also the reason why Tsetse fly traps are dark blue.

Done 144 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 am 

Hi Guys,
It is well known and documented that elephants have an amazing memory. If you take the elephants that are in the Kalahari and very arid areas as an example. They know ever watering hole in the area they are in at any given time. And if there is no water above ground they will dig for water. They are very successful at finding water because their sense of smell is excellent. BUT, if you don’t know where to look and smell for water then you will just be digging holes all over the place, so memory will play a huge part in digging for water.

There was a very good documentary on Carte blanche about the elephants in Pilansberg and their association and memories or helicopters and people in general. This is because of the huge culling exercise they had to do a while back. The elephants that were babies during the culling are now the problem elephants as they were traumatised as babies by the sight of their herd being thinned out. This is why the elephants in Pilansburg are very temperamental.

This is also the case with the elephants in Botswana were hunting was still allowed to happen. I remember a few years back while on a game drive close to the Kalahari a huge male elephant slowly forced us back to the main road just by his presents. Then he disappeared into the bush, only to charge our car when we tried to drive past where he disappeared into the bush.

I have noticed in the last few years the temperament of elephants in general in Kruger has gotten worse and worse. I believe this is happening because of the quantities of cars entering the Kruger during school holidays etc.

I read somewhere that elephants also don’t like the sound and rumble of diesel engines as it mimics the sounds they emit to talk to other elephants in the area. These sounds they emit we are not able to hear but elephants can feel through their feet.

There are also a whole load of other possibilities when it comes to animals and their temperament towards cars and their occupants. MHO all of the maybies people have stated before could play a role, this is dependent on the particular animal in question, as well as their past experiences with colours of cars etc. there are too many variables to pin point a reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next