Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:57 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

anne-marie wrote:
oups :(
a little bit hard to watch... I suppose ...
nice pictures :clap:

Hi Anne Marie!

Sorry...are a little gruesome, should have mentioned that :redface: ...poor babies, we had just been admiring some nearby minutes before but when they get killed I just sort of separate myself from whats going on...wish all baby impalas could survive, we would love them in our garden!

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:56 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Found the doggies 3 times in our october holiday - these are the pics of 5 dogs between satara and orpen;

Unfortunately we had to drive as they began to hunt a bushbock, but it was amazing to have them in such a short distance :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:48 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Great pics everyone.

Post subject: Re: Wild dog clips from the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:13 am 

Hi everyone this was taken between on the road between Pretoriuskop and Skukuza. Enjoy

Post subject: Re: Wild dog clips from the Kruger
Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Well Done Mama Fairu - you managed to capture the forum's favorite wild dog in KNP.... Kamea :dance:

Named by Flutterby and Samoesawoestyn, you can read more about her here:

She is in all 3 videos - in both the first and second video she's the only one in the shot at 47 seconds and in the last video she's the one coming towards the others from the bottom of the screen and then leaves the other 3 again towards the left of the screen.

She can be recognised by the white "K" on her front left leg.

When was this taken Mama Fairu? :thumbs_up:

Member No. 15342
-----------------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:05 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Great pics o-dog :thumbs_up:

I just got good news from Tembe EP... they had about 13 wilddogs in the boma and they got approval to release them now. Half january they will be released in the wild in Tembe.
The group has some kruger and some hluwe wilddogs where the kruger wilddogs will be the leading ones.
Within the pack there are 6 younsters

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:30 am 

On our recent trip (29 December 2010) to KNP we came across this pack of 7 Wild dogs on the H3 less than 5km from Skukuza. They were running towards Skukuza and at the 4-way stop in front of the camp they ran into a small group of Zebras. They immediately surrounded the zebras and tried their luck but the zebras stood together and chased the dogs away. The dogs tried a few times but when they saw they are not going to win this battle, they ran off into the distance…

Rare Antelope Sightings!

Returning to Kruger in December 2013!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

SamoesaWoestyn thanks so much for sharing this amazing sighting with us :clap: :clap: :clap: WOW :lol:

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

During my trip from 17 December 2010 - 1 January 2011 we were privileged enough to see wilddog on 4 occasions! That, after a 6 year 'draught' where I tried every single road in the good areas. All sightings were early morning before 08h00. Our first pack was on the H7 on 24 December, hwere we drove with them for nearly 1,3 km. Second pack were 5 dogs along the s25 on 27 December, probably the same as Mfezi saw.

The other two times were close to Afsaal along the H3 and the Voortrekker road. We had STUNNING views of the dogs, and at one stage they 'parked' in the shade on the waiting vehicles :D At one stage, they devoured an impala, but the grass was just too high to have a good view and take pictures. The Afsaal area stays my favorite for animal sightings, it's just been unbelievable.

The last sighting of wilddog also improved a personal record of seeing the Big5 + wilddogs in 3,5 hours.... Not that I'm a Big5 'hunter' but it's still great to see.

They always were, and always will be my favorite animals.

Just 'a few' shots, which cannot describe or depict how awesome it is to see these lovely active creatures :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Non Predator Award: Travel Tale of the Year for KNP (2012)
Great sightings G@mespotter and great pics as well. :clap: :clap:

Post subject: A second Chance for the African Wild Dog
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:46 pm 

Quote:
A pack of 14 Endangered African Wild Dogs was reintroduced into the Tembe Elephant Park today, following extensive community liaison and preparation work over the past year.

It was an emotional occasion, as many people present have been involved in this project from the very beginning and are deeply aware of the extreme importance of this release. “The release of this Wild Dog pack into the Tembe Elephant Park is vital to the survival of South Africa’s managed Wild Dog metapopulation,” says the Endangered Wildlife Trust’s Kelly Marnewick. “It’s incredible to finally see them stepping into the wild and we are all holding thumbs that they will do well.”

The formal Wild Dog metapopulation programme was initiated in 1998 to expand the species’ range throughout South Africa. Tembe will be the 12th reserve to receive Wild Dogs as part of the programme.

The Wild Dog Metapopulation Programme is coordinated by the Wild Dog Advisory Group (WAG). The Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT) has held the WAG chair since its inception and has implemented many projects under the WAG umbrella, including projects in the Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserve and Marekele National Park (both in Limpopo Province), and the Northern Tuli Game Reserve in Botswana. Much of the support for these activities in KZN has come from Land Rover South Africa and the Green Trust, while Wildlife Act, the Wildlands Conservation Trust, Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (EKZNW), Tembe Tribal Authority, Dr M. Toft and Tembe Elephant Park Lodge have been key partners.

Wild Dogs Lycaon pictus are South Africa’s rarest carnivore and were extirpated from KZN in the 1930s. There are less than 400 Wild Dogs remaining in South Africa, of which approximately 130 are in the Kruger National Park and 160 in northern KZN (approximately 110 of which are in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park).

Reintroduction initiatives for Wild Dogs into KZN began in 1980 and there are currently four reserves in KZN with resident Wild Dogs, namely Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park, Mkhuze Game Reserve, Thanda Private Game Reserve and Hlambanyathi Game Reserve. In 2006 the EWT started a project to expand the range for Wild Dogs in KZN, in partnership with EKZNW and the Smithsonian Institution. EKZNW has been instrumental in expanding Wild Dog range in the province under this project.

In December 2009 four male Wild Dogs from the then De Wildt Cheetah and Wildlife Trust were relocated to Tembe Elephant Park and accommodated in a boma, with the intention of later reintroducing them into the reserve. In February 2010 three females from Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park joined them. The pack produced seven pups while communities in the area were prepared for their release.

The potential for conflict between reintroduced Wild Dogs and neighbouring landowners is high. Wild Dogs may attack livestock, while they are also often confused with domestic dogs, which can do a great deal of livestock damage. As such, WildlifeACT, with support from the Endangered Wildlife Trust and Wildlands Conservation Trust, began to actively engage community stakeholders regarding the project in March 2010. This was the first time that a KwaZulu-Natal tribal authority had been actively engaged in the decision making and preparation process for the reintroduction of Wild Dogs and the result was that the Tembe Tribal Authority, the Tembe Local Board and the local municipality gave their support for the initiative.

African Wild Dogs once occurred throughout sub-Saharan Africa but now occupy only a fraction of that range. Habitat fragmentation and isolation, exacerbated by human persecution, are the main factors contributing to this decline. There are currently about 5 500–6 000 Wild Dogs left in the wild globally and the species is listed as Endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN). Only a handful of countries contain viable Wild Dog populations, with the largest populations occurring in northern Botswana, Tanzania and northern Mozambique.

Wild Dogs are particularly challenging to conserve because they range widely and occur at low densities. As such even the largest protected areas are able to support only small populations. The conservation and management of small, fragmented populations has therefore become an unavoidable necessity.

Wildlife Act will be monitoring the Tembe pack, while the EWT will remain involved in its role as coordinator of the KZN Wild Dog Management Group. The group aims to promote the national Wild Dog Range Management Project and establish safe corridors between reserves for natural dispersals of the species.

Pictures are available on request. Also visit the EWT’s Facebook group for video footage, pictures and more on the story - www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=92994179642

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:01 am 

Wow what can I say about the wild dog??? It is one of the most amazing animals in Kruger which I have only seen less than 5 times ever!

Last year Dec 2010 I had the privilege of seeing two large wild dog packs: one pack of about 16 in the Berg-en-Dal area (on the main road between Berg-en-Dal and Afsaal) and the other pack of about 12 in the Orpen area (the main road between Orpen and Satara).

Here are some snapshots of them...

December KNP:
16 - 18: Punda Maria
19: Shingwedzi
20 - 23: Mopani

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:16 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

FlorisCathy wrote:
Does anyone know if they've got a manager to arrange a meat and great?

You are in luck, I spoke to them and apparently this one is the manager. :tongue:

He was a very nice fellow and we were honoured to be in their company for a long time. He said that if you want to see them, then you must make sure to be on the road as the gate opens and just before closing time. The S25 and H3 are their favourite roads. I can vouch for that cause we see them almost every time that we are there. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sighted along the H7

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:21 pm 
africawildlife.nl wrote:
Does anyone know how many wild dogs have Kruger NP as their home?
I think the number of wild dogs is ascending in the last years, but I'm not sure about that...
Can anyone confirm or tell me more?

Hey, awnl!

They are difficult to count and travel large distances. The "competitions" where tourists provide pictures and locations have provided by far the most accurate estimates so far, with one in the 90's suggesting very near 400 in Kruger and adjacent reserves.

However, haven't heard the latest.

I don't know that the number is increasing at all! In fact, they used to be more common in the North than they are now (Phalaborwa holding the record troop size) and Far North (Punda Maria).

They pop up anywhere, though! :thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 317 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next