Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: How HOT does it really get
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:21 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
ecojunkie, I have just returned from our local "plastic" shop with a spray bottle, a very good idea :o :o

Tamboti 30 December 2014
Berg en Dal 31 December 204 - 03 January 2015

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:34 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
I always carry my small hand held battery fan in my handbag, which has saved the day for me on many occasions. I spray my skin with cold water like EJ suggests, and then switch my fan on. :dance:

The odd thing is though, that I can buy these fans very easily (and cheaply) in the UK, but have battled to find one in SA............at least one that works properly!!!! Considering the SA climate as opposed to the UK I find it very strange. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Crested Val, another good idea :D :D

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:48 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
As I said TD, I lost mine one year (actually left it on a plane) and I really battled to find a replacement in SA. I found one in MICA but it broke fairly quickly. Having said that, as an SA citizen you might know where to shop better than me!!!!

I now bring 3 with me, just in case.........one in use, one spare, and one extra spare!!!!!! :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:13 pm 

I've been in Kruger in December and the irony is that it was cooler there than where I live! I reckon I am one of the few who go there to cool down! The only place I have been hotter than my home town of Paarl is at Aughrabies in a tent in March.

Pete

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:29 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Pete, I'm not surprised, because since the world weather has gone a bit screwy, things aren't as predictable as they used to be!!!

We lived in Phalaborwa for four months last year (November to March) and we experienced some very changeable weather. We had temps of 45c some days, and a few days later it was 16!!! :shock:

You are very lucky to live in Paarl. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
I was on a day-drive yesterday in an open vehicle (so no aircon!) with a bunch of international tourists not used to our heat and the temperature reached at least 43C.
I assume you were in the south of the park, as that is where you get the most and biggest bunches of international tourists. The maximum temperature recorded at Skukuza on October 12th was 43.1°C, so your estimate was very accurate indeed! That value, by the way, was also almost twice today's maximum of 22.5°C.

Johan

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

At Satara on Saturday 12th October my mobile "weather station" thingy recorded over 42 deg C - it was close to being unbearable. Tempers were frayed and it was not pleasant. Next 3 days were 23 deg C and overcast and it was wonderful driving around - especially on S100, into the sun, where there was no sun!! Funny how the weather can change so rapidly.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:50 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
On Saturday the 12 th of October we were in Orpen, temp was 43 :doh: on Sunday morning when we left it was quite cold, big temp change overnight

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm 

On the 12 March 2006, around 14h00 on the s41 - Gouzani road I thought I was going to die :pray: .

See picturebelow:

That night we had one of the most memorable thunderstorms I ever remember (I was born in Pretoria) for the 32 years I lived in SA

Eddie

Biyamiti: 10 September 2014

:dance:

Last edited by propolis on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:37 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes: propolis

KNP 2- 16 May 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:39 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
propolis, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tamboti 30 December 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 am 

We always go in December just before or after Christmas. We've never been dissapointed hot hot hot! :redface: :redface: :redface: day and night.

It helps if you dont drive at the hottest time of day but instead have a lovely deep siesta, most animals are doing the same seeking shade. Or do some birding in the shade of the camps trees.

Swimming pools can get just too crowded and the water too hot, peoples tempers are also sometimes a bit frayed :? . Swim early avoid afternoons. It's impossible to resist a swim, if there is a hose pipe at the pool the water coming out of it is usualy nice and icy cold. :P

As someone mentioned a misting spray in the car is very nice even if the efects are very short lived you at least feel like you've been refreshed. Close the windows for a moment up the aircon and mist everyone.

If your freezer is working or ask to use the main freezer (at bush camps) put your water and drinks in it over night. When you set off in the morning they can slowly thaw and remain cool longest. Nice for cordials.

We usualy leave the windows open we just cannot bear them closed. Same time we have the aircon going directed downwards. :roll: This uses a whole lot of fuel

We like the North of the park which seems the hottest. Often there are spectaular electric storms especialy at night. Even if it doesn't rain in your area you can see it lighting up the sky somewhere else. Night drives are particularily refreshing.

I love this time of year green green, lots of animals have given birth, birds nesting everyone is sleek fat healthy and content. We once saw lots of tiny baby crocs in a puddle in the road, so dont drive into them if you can help it :? The dust roads can get a bit sticky and tiresome but soon dry up.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

In the late 1980's, our children still being at school, we used to spend December holidays in KNP - camping in a caravan. This particular year, for some weird reason, BIL booked his family and us to camp at Shingwedzi between Christmas and New Year. Our camp was next to two small bushes (now large trees!) next to the Ablution Block - at that time the Weather Station was situated next to the Ablution Block. It was so hot the one day that our daughter burnt through the white stripes on her swimming costume; the men would get out of their chairs, go and shower and go back to their chairs and be dry within 20 minutes. The ranger who checked the Weather Station at 2 that afternoon told us that it registered 46C Air temp. and 64C ground temp.
It was slightly warm :wink:

KNP 3 May - 8 June 2014

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:33 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Liefen Loofen dis warm :redface:

I am going to Kruger this December, camping.
With these kind of temperatures how does one hold out in a tent. :shock: As we all know tens get very hot.
Does those silver covers help? :hmz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next