Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clean Diesel in Kruger Park
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:10 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I think the whole supply to Kruger is now low sulphur. It seems that Total may have increased the supply everywhere, as I noticed garages outside also displaying the new 50 banner (eg the new garages near the Nkomazi toll).

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 5 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

ecojunkie wrote:
Yes - they have substituted the supply, and all is now 50ppm diesel.

Ecojunkie is it not petrol you refer to. If they only keep 50 ppm S diesel it means you must pay for the more expensive diesel and do not have the option for the cheaper diesel.

Quote:
Total South Africa launches Ultra Low Sulphur Petrol (50ppm ULP95)
September, 20 2011 – Total South Africa has launched ultra low sulphur petrol at selected service
stations in Pretoria, KZN, NW Province, Limpopo and Mpumalanga.
The product contains less sulphur (50ppm versus 500ppm). The ultra low sulphur has the Total
Evolution additive, which gives it better performance and efficiency and is better for the environment.
Total South Africa will be offering Total Evolution 50ppm 95 low sulphur petrol at no extra cost
to the motorists. As this is a cleaner product with lower sulphur content, it will enable unleaded
drivers to make a positive contribution to improving the air quality.
Vehicles running on regular unleaded 95 can easily switch to Total Evolution 50ppm 95 low sulphur
petrol without any adjustment or effect on their vehicle’s performance. All cars manufactured after
1986 are compatible with Total Evolution Unleaded.
“As a petroleum company we are continuously being innovative with our product offerings to
ensure we are ever mindful of the environment and give our customers products that will enable
their vehicles to perform better ” said Total South Africa’s Marketing Manager, Reina Cullinan.
Find your nearest Total Service station selling Ultra Low Sulphur petrol and diesel under our News
and on our facebook page www.facebook.com/totalsouthafrica.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

The pumps themselves are marked, and I checked with attendants. It is diesel - don't know about the petrol side of things as I do not use it!

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:38 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Just to confirm..... I was at BnD last night, and the advertising banner at the garage clearly states 50 Diesel!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 am 

This is great news for everyone with a new commonrail diesel engine. But for everyone else including the SANParks trucks and night drive open top vehicles it is terrible. That is if only 50 ppm is available.

Not only is it much more expensive, but it can damage the older engines and trucks. I don't even want to think what Total is asking for a liter as they all ready ripped off all diesel vehicle drivers in the past by asking way more than just outside the park.

The older engines require the sulphur in the diesel to help lubricate the engine and turbo. This is exactly the opposite with the new engines as the tolerances are much tighter on the new engines and the sulphur will damage the engine.

I would suggest that if you drive one of the older diesel engines you should add some 2stroke oil to the 50ppm diesel if you are forced to fill up with it. 200ml oil to every 100Liters. I do it with 500ppm aswell and it is clear that the engine runs much smoother and the fuel consumption is better with the oil added. Just dont do it with the new engines as the 2stroke will increase the sulphur content to much more than 500ppm.

I think this is a good excuse to get a long range tank :tongue:

Just my 2c....

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
@Doc Phil. This is the advice I also received. A can of 2 stroke oil every second full tank for the older diesel engines.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm 

Rooies, I do it on every tank I just buy a few 1L bottles before a long trip and just add it to the tank before it is filled to help it mix properly. You can get a 1L bottle for R50 where you will pay R35 for 200ml at the service station.

I find the engine much quieter and that means less wear. I can put my radio's volume on 6 with 2 stroke and have to put it on 11 without it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Pardon my ignorance but can the 50 & 500 be used interchangeably?

After all what is 450 parts per million?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 am 

BB no problem in asking questions :thumbs_up:

The 50 ppm and 500ppm can be interchanged. But only on the older engines. They can handle both but prefer the dirtier 500ppm diesel. The more luxurious new diesels, merc and bmw have sensors that will stop the engine when 500ppm is added to the system. Even the VW amarok will not be under warranty from VW as soon as 500ppm is added to the system. That is the first thing they test for when there is a problem. :wall: :wall:

The new ford ranger 3.2 V6 TD is the only new engine that is allowed to fill up with 500 ppm. :thumbs_up:

The 50 ppm and 500 ppm is the sulphur content in the diesel.

What is interesting is that fuel companies are allowed to mix intermix (the volume of fuel that is not diesel or petrol but a mixture of different fuels) with 500 ppm and even LRP. Of course the amount they are allowed to mix is strictly governed but it is allowed. They are however not allowed to mix anything into 50 ppm as the sulphur content will then become to high.

ps. Intermix is formed because the same pipeline is used to pump all types of fuel from the coast to the rest of the country. It is only separated by a rubber ball in the pipeline. So some mixing of products will occur.

pps. Sasol actually produces 10 ppm diesel. The cleanest diesel in the world but then adds some additives to get it to 50 ppm.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:14 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

I checked at BnD last night - ordinary 500ppm diesel is no longer available in the park, all supplies changed to 50ppm!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am 

ecojunkie, I do think it was a wise choice made by SANParks even though I dont like it.

The older engines can handle it even if they prefer 500ppm, the new engines can't handle 500ppm and more importantly they are not allowed to use 500ppm.

Most of the people visiting the park drive newer diesels and for me to do one or 2 tanks on the cleaner diesel is much better than anyone in a new engine loosing his warranty on a R800 000 car because he was forced to fill up even if just to make it to the closest available 50 ppm pump.

So WELL DONE to SANParks for changing. :clap: Or was it Total???

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Only 500ppm diesel is available in KTP, which means the old and new models have to fill up with the same. Wonder if Total is going to change their diesel in KTP as well with the extra price cost. :hmz:
Or at least the smokey diesel pump at Twee rivieren.

By the way a friend of mine only drives on home-made diesel in his Ford Montana for 3 years already. He makes it from methanol and old restaurant oil.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I think the swap from 500ppm to 50ppm is more a logistical matter than a money making move.

Fact is new technology diesel vehicles require 50ppm diesel. I would say that the largest number of vehicles refilling with diesel in KNP are newer vehicles (rentals and private owned). Older vehicles are also more tolerant of clean diesel than the newer ones of 500ppm diesel.

Now, if you had to supply KNP service stations of fuel, consider the following. You need to supply petrol (95 octane and potentially LRP) as well as diesel (50ppm and 500ppm). That means you need to supply 4 different forms of fuel. Much easier to just deliver one sort of petrol and diesel is it not? It will save you a lot on delivery costs. Add to that the fact that 50ppm has a lower sulphur content that makes it cleaner and more "green". What better way to market your fuel in a conservation area?

Sulphur was used to lubricate the diesel pumps of older vehicles. It prevented excessive wear on the pump. The sulphur would leach into the engine oil and break down the chemical bonds of the oil, shortening the oil's useful life span. Thus you need to do an oil service more often. Not something the average motorist finds appealing. Add to that that sulphur is poisoness. So remove the sulphur. New engines are developed for low sulphur diesel, giving service intervals similar to petrol engines. However this means older engines now have a wear issue. So add 200ml of 2 stroke oil to a tank as DrPhil suggested. The diesel pump is happy again.

DrPhil wrote:
Even the VW amarok will not be under warranty from VW as soon as 500ppm is added to the system. That is the first thing they test for when there is a problem. :wall: :wall:

Just a correction :wink: . The Amarok will gladly run on 500ppm diesel and VW will support the warranty. My Amarok's owners manual and service guide only states that the service interval needs to be increased in countries where high sulphur diesel is used. SA is one of those.
I am aware of dealerships that run their demo Amarok vehicles on 500ppm diesel. Now that would cause serious issues should you do that and then sell of the car to an unsuspecting buyer would it not?
I prefer to run my Amarok on 50ppm diesel, but it is good to know I can use 500ppm if that is all that is available.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:35 am 

Jaco V,

I don't own an Amarok (Wish I did :roll: ) I just read on other forums about problems owners have with VW. In particular farmers who buy large quantities of 500ppm for their tractors and trucks.

One guy tried to get written consent to use 500ppm from VWSA.

I will post some links here if it is OK with the mods. Please delete if it is not allowed.

Please note the links refer to mostly Afrikaans forums.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=92011

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=93416

Jaco, I'm not arguing, I'm just showing the info I have. As I say I'm not an owner like you :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Diesel fuel in Punda, Shingwedzi & Letaba
Unread postPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 am 

Although I know that diesel fuel is available at these camps, can someone please advise whether 50ppm diesel is now available or still only 500pm as in 2011 ? And if possible, what is the diesel price per litre in the Northern campd of Kruger ?

Len

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next